Author Topic: Not New, but Want to Search  (Read 164 times)

Offline SlideSF

Not New, but Want to Search
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »
Hello everyone!  I have been a member for a couple years, but never posted anything before.  I have been making pizza for about 50 years.  Mt first pizza was Chef Boy-R-Dee out of a box, with hot dogs on top.  Not the best, but at least it got me started.  And in those days you really did make a dough from yeast and flour and let it rise!  Since then my trial-and error results have been mostly mixed.  Many of my pies were very good, but they never tasted like a real pizza - more like a home made imitation.  I got my first pizza stone about 20 years ago which I still have), but although the result was a big improvement over prior pizzas, they still lacked that certain "something" that only professional pizzas had.

About three years ago I decided to step up my game and started to read up about it.  I started using 00 flour and do a cold fermentation for 72 hours.  I converted my Weber grill into a Little Black Egg.  I am now making pizza as good as any I have had, at least to my taste.  I primarily make napolitana style pizzas, although I am also a big fan of Chicago style, having roots in the Windy City.
My most recent purchase is a pizza steel, which I have been trying out in my home oven, with a stone just above it.  Results are good, but not as good as the LBE.  Home oven pizzas cook at about 525F in around 5 minutes.  LBE pies take about 3+ min at 725F

This forum has been a big help to me.  Thanks Everyone!
SlideSF

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Not New, but Want to Search
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »
Hi Slide,

I remember those Chef Boyardee pizzas that came in a box. I used to make them when I was a kid. Probably it was one of the first things I ever cooked myself.  Objectively they were probably awful but I loved them!  Good times! 

Regards,

TinRoof