Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 20681 times)

scott123

The Blackstone Challenge
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »
For any Blackstone owners that might not be following the oven thread.

To the first person who can make a carbon copy/ clone / idenitcal twin of Craig's Pie using his method and bake it in a Blackstone oven,  I will personally write you a check for the amount that you paid for your BS oven.  There you have it folks.  A free BS oven to the first member who can make a pie that looks identical to Craig's NP pizza. 

And the pie will be judged by Craig himself, myself, and Scott123.  And it better be convincing.  I'm not talking about a good lookin NP or a decent looking pie here.  I'm talking about a Craig clone.  This challenge is open to all members who have access to a BS oven.  And you have 18 months to accomplish this.  If I myself personally achieve this before that time limit, then I will write myself the check and the challenge is off.
Good luck boys.
Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »
I should also reiterate that said pie has to be baked in a BS oven and should emulate Craig's bake times as well, around 45-60sec.  I want members to also freely post any pizzas they've made in the BS regardless of style or if they are entering the challenge or not..  If you want your pie to be judged for the challenge, just title it BS NP challenge pie or something like that.  If we post pies here it might make it a little easier for other members to see what the BS oven is capable of.

Chau

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
This is what you are shooting for Pizza Pals....the Gold Standard.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »
Saw one for 399 on amazon. Do these things really work? If so it would be a good buy for someone looking to get into neo.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »
Yes they work.  I baked this one in 60secs.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »
Saw one for 399 on amazon. Do these things really work? If so it would be a good buy for someone looking to get into neo.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.0.html

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:23:34 AM »

Yes and yes!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 07:09:43 AM »
I'll be away from the forum until next Saturday.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
Yes they work.  I baked this one in 60secs.

I have just gotten into the thread on the Blackstone so pardon me if I missed something, but what, if any, modifications did you do to the oven to get that bake in 60 seconds? The video for the oven shows a pie cooking in a little over two and a half minutes.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
I have just gotten into the thread on the Blackstone so pardon me if I missed something, but what, if any, modifications did you do to the oven to get that bake in 60 seconds? The video for the oven shows a pie cooking in a little over two and a half minutes.
BS mods by Chau don't start till around page 38 over there David.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg263898.html#msg263898
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
thanks Bob, kinda knew that Chau had to mod it in some way, just didn't get that far, thanks again!

scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
FWIW, Chau's mods are showing a lot of promise, but, balanced 60 second bakes have been done without mods.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »
For anyone interested in the back story of this challenge, it starts at reply #729 of the blackstone thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg263830.html#msg263830

...presently, the ideal image of an NP pie, for me, is Craig's. He's got a lot of members nipping at his heels, but if a new member joined and asked what they should strive for, right now, I would say Craig. So... you've just seen the master at work, you have the only tool outside of the 2stone and a WFO  that has a solid chance of making it happen and you have the necessary skills. In the immortal words of Captain Jean Luc Picard "Make it so!"  ;D

If you can achieve the thermodynamics that will give you a Craig pie, then whatever theories I'm espousing will be moot.

And, for anyone else reading this- at the moment, I'm telling this to Chau because he's been the one I've been disagreeing with, but this challenge applies to everyone.  This oven is, without a doubt, viable for NP, but until a Craig quality pie is produced, it can't, imo, be officially viable for the best NP possible. That's the next breakthrough- that's when this will have truly arrived.

My response to Scott...

Quote from: Jackie Tran
You mean if I can achieve WFO thermodynamics in a BS oven?  Sorry, that's not ever going to happen Scott.  Not with a Blackstone and not with a 2stone.  You are only going to get Acunto thermodynamics in an Acunto oven.  But for $360, it can get pretty close.   And if you want a Craig pie in a BS oven, then you will have to ask Craig to bake one of his pies in a BS.  Every pizza maker makes a distinct pie.  I'm no Craig and doubt I can make a Craig pie.  I can make a Chau pie though.  Is that good enough?

And then it continues from there.   Basically Scott says that there is no reason why someone couldn't produce a Craig pie in the BS oven, considering Craig has detailed his dough method on the forum and we have acess to Craig's tutalege.  Scott has yet to clarify to me his statement whether he thinks a Craig quality pie can be produce in the BS or if he thinks a carbon copy of a Craig pie can be made in the BS.  I seem to remember Scott saying that a carbon copy can be made, but I can't find the quote now. 

I've told Scott that I think high quality NP pies can be made in the BS, but didn't think it possible to make a pie that looks just like Craig's pies b/c Craig's pies are unique to him and his oven, just like Da Michele's pies and other famous NP pizzerias.   

And thus we have this challenge.  It's a bit of silly challenge.  If anything it will encourage folks to make better NP pizza.  Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and get a free oven out of it.   If successful, then it may show that the BS oven can mimic the thermodynamics of a WFO.  IMO, the BS oven can make a pie very similar to one baked in a well fired WFO, but it bakes it in a different way and not the same as a WFO.  So I am not confident that someone can pull this challenge off.  But time will tell.

Good luck,
Chau
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:40:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
FWIW, Chau's mods are showing a lot of promise, but, balanced 60 second bakes have been done without mods.

Scott, do you mean that they have been done in a Blackstone in 60 seconds without mods?

scott123

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
Scott, do you mean that they have been done in a Blackstone in 60 seconds without mods?

Yes.

scott123

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
This is what you are shooting for Pizza Pals....the Gold Standard.

I think his style has evolved a bit since that pie.  This is more representative, crust-wise.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »

Here is a vid I made a couple weeks ago. Completely unmoded and I could have run it even hotter.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
That's pretty impressive, wonder why it took the guy in the video that the company put out over twice as long? I see you say it could have run hotter, I take it there is some kind of temperature regulator, how high will it go?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
That's pretty impressive, wonder why it took the guy in the video that the company put out over twice as long? I see you say it could have run hotter, I take it there is some kind of temperature regulator, how high will it go?

There are two regulators, one on the grill itself that is just hi-low and another on the propane tank which is the same. There is also a thermometer on the stove but it is only useful for gauging how hot the oven is compared to other times, not for giving an actual temp because it is in a separate compartment. I know it's like 35 pages, but the other thread really goes over all of this in tons of detail too FYI.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I'll have to catch up on my reading! :-\

pizzapan