Author Topic: Neapolitan North  (Read 5436 times)

Offline parallei

Re: Neapolitan North
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Nice work on the 2Stone Rsaha. :chef: 

The calabrese sausage, black olive pie is particularly handsome.

Offline rsaha

• Still waiting for the "aha"
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »
Thanks guys. This place is my inspiration.

Its getting cold up north. Be interesting to see how the 2stone performs in icy cold weather. Hope I don't have to take too long a break during the winter.
Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
Can't believe I've been away so long. Winter was long and brutal in Ottawa, Canada this year and I couldn't get my 2Stone up to temp so I was pizza deprived for most all of it. I've made a couple pizzas since things started warming up but am still trying to find the right touch.

One thing I have struggled with is extensibility. Many of my pizzas are only 10-11 inches with a 300g dough ball. My current theory is under- fermentation although my dough tends to look similar to pictures I have seen here so it may not be much of a theory.

Experiment 1 was to try a Dylan formulation - 63/2.7/3.0SD at 67 degrees 24/24 to see what I would get. 36 hours in the dough looked pretty well fermented so I put one ball in the fridge and let the other one run. It did get up to 69 degrees throughout the fermentation period. My wine cooler is in the basement and ambient is below 65 at the moment so I couldn't use the cooler to control things. The ball I let run was crazy fermented - dough pushing up the lid like a soufflé. I did find it opened easily and I got to 13 1/2 to 14 inches without any big problem. I did not fire the pizza - it was just an experiment to see what I could get.

The second dough ball came back out of the fridge about 90 minutes before service. It opened up pretty well (13 inches) so that part of it seems to have worked although I think my cheese pieces were too large as they didn't completely melt. I will try 63/2.7/2.0SD 24h/24h next to see what I get.

Sausage, black olive and fior di latte on the 2Stone.

Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
Went with 63/2.7/1.5SD this time. House has crept up to 70F in the last few days.

After 24 hour bulk there was quite a bit of activity. The dough was very soft and a bit of a challenge to ball. Put one ball in the fridge immediately to retard it a bit for a Saturday lunch pizza. The other I left out at room temp overnight. This morning I came down to a ball that had more than doubled. Into the fridge it went - will warm it up for a couple hours before dinner.

I have been re-reading the Neapolitan Garage thread. So much information that didn't sink in the first time through. Will try a 60% hydration 36 hours bulk at 62F and 12 hours balled  at room temp next (that's the formula at page 25 of the garage - which is as far as I've gotten).

Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2015, 09:10:15 PM »
Baked the more fermented ball tonight on the 2stone at around 850F. Let it warm up on the counter for around two hours after pulling it from the fridge. Not really a workflow I want to standardize on but it wasn't bad. Little tougher than usual but flavourful. Refresher course (going through Craig's Neapolitan Garage thread - up to page 35) reminded me that I need to go with smaller pieces of mozzarella so that was better at least. Dough ball opened up to around 12 inches but it was a pretty bad launch so it wound up being a small pizza.

Still better than anything I can buy around here though:) Second ball is still in the fridge. Will pull it out before bed and have it for lunch tomorrow. First go at the blackstone of the season tomorrow...

Craigherita with calabrian chilies - awesome flavours for anyone who hasn't tried it!

Romain

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »
Looking good.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline rsaha

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2015, 04:14:13 PM »
Looking good.

Thanks! Someday I hope to be half as good as you.

First bake of the year on the blackstone. After I cleared out the nice home a mouse or chipmunk made in it this winter I started it up. The rotisserie motor doesn't seem to have done too well outside over the winter. It was working for a bit and then just stopped rotating. Once the Blackstone cooled I took it apart and there doesn't seem to be anything amiss so I suspect I need a new motor.

This was a manual bake. I had to rotate the stone using tongs. I actually kind of liked it. Might have to give this one some thought. No way I could do the Dylan shuffle at the same time so this is the first pizza (on the blackstone) I have ever done without the shuffle. Don't shuffle on the 2Stone. Might drop the shuffle for a while to see how that goes.

Same batch of dough as the last one. Put straight into the fridge after balling then out about 14H at 70F. No idea what temp as I left my IR thermometer at home... Pretty tasty pizza. My regular deli was closed so I had to hit the supermarket. The bozo behind the counter cut the proscuitto way thick (like 1/16 of an inch thick) so I chopped it up and used it anyway - on before the bake. It was actually very good. Will replicate that going forward. Also went with sliced mozzarella again copying Craig. No idea why it took me so long to figure that out. Much better than grated.

Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2015, 10:40:36 PM »
Tonight was my first white pizza. Wasn't planning it but my wife came home with a big bunch of beautiful spring onions (first of the season) so I thought I'd try it out. What a fantastic surprise. Absolutely delicious. This one goes front and centre into the rotation for sure. Was busy doing too many things while the 2stone was heating up so it crept up to 900F top and bottom which I think is too hot - bottom was a little charred.

2Stone
Spring onion, grape tomatoes, olive oil and fior di latte.
61/2.8/3.0 SD 24/24 at 61 degrees.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:52:09 PM by rsaha »
Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
Some challenges this weekend and one big discovery. I've been using tupperware containers for my dough balls that measure around 4 inches across. Switched to some that are 6 inches across as per Craig's advice. What a difference. Way easier to open the dough up when you are starting with a flat disk. Easily hit 13 inches where I was fighting hard before to get up to 12 - and usually more like 11...

Now the bad. My blackstone wasn't turning last weekend - and the motor burned out. I figured I needed a better rotisserie motor and had one kicking around the house so I brought it up. Fired it up, turning OK, went inside to let it heat up and it seized up while I was inside prepping dinner. Another motor shot:-(

Took it apart and really looked at it. It was binding where the vertical rod passes though the body. I got my dremel out to clean it up (some rust but definitely some scoring where I manually reefed on the platter to turn it. Dremel chuck was also seized (I'm having a bad day at this point:-) so I used emery paper and sanded and sanded and sanded. Fired it up and now it seems to be back on track. I'll grab a new dremel this week and finish cleaning out the body.

I really need it to work this weekend because I'm having 12 people over for my first big pizza party/new deck warming. More than a bit nervous as it is - add the misbehaving Blackstone and I sense some challenges ahead.

First pic

Blackstone
61/2.8/2.0 SD 24/24 at 60ish. Casalungo, jalepeno, mozzarella. Biggest pizza in a long, long time - bit uneven because I had to fight to turn the platter

Second pic

2Stone
61/2.8/2.0SD 24/24 at 60 plus 24 in the fridge - bit harder to open up - another spring onion, grape tomato, fior di latte, olive oil. I'm really loving that one.

Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
Trying to get in some last minute practice before the party this weekend... Really watching the cornice as I bake rather than the topping. Seems to be a better plan. These were at 875F or so. Think I will try 1.5%SD this weekend. Supposed to be hot this weekend - will be trying Craig's cooler method as the new tupperwares don't fit in the wine cooler...

61/2.8/2.0SD

2Stone
Calabrian chili, fior di latte, Craig's chill oil

And the spring onion pizza again - I am an addict...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:39:08 AM by rsaha »
Romain

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
Trying to get in some last minute practice before the party this weekend... Really watching the cornice as I bake rather than the topping. Seems to be a better plan. These were at 875F or so. Think I will try 1.5%SD this weekend. Supposed to be hot this weekend - will be trying Craig's cooler method as the new tupperwares don't fit in the wine cooler...

Great looking pies!  FWIW I also tend to watch the cornice and underside as the primary indicators of done-ness.  I don't completely ignore the toppings, but when the crust is done, the pizza is done.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Very nice. Love the colors on the latest pies.

Offline rsaha

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
Great looking pies!  FWIW I also tend to watch the cornice and underside as the primary indicators of done-ness.  I don't completely ignore the toppings, but when the crust is done, the pizza is done.

Very nice. Love the colors on the latest pies.

Thank you both. They are the nicest I have ever managed and I certainly couldn't have done it without you.

I'm knee deep in dough right now. I'll be making 10 pies this weekend rapid fire. Never tried that before...

Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »
Finished fixing my blackstone. Dremeled out the collar, added a bearing and did the washer mod. I think the washer mod is a pretty good idea. I had absolutely no problem nailing the bottoms...

10 people for dinner last night. My first big pizza party. Weather was absolutely miserable so we moved the blackstone into the screened in porch out of the rain. I quite liked that - might have to figure out how to make that work permanently. Got completely soaked cooking chicken wings on the Egg as an appetizer so I was pretty happy to be cooking pizza out of the rain.

Did my prep ahead of time to make sure we could crank pies out quickly. It worked really well with my wife opening up the dough and then me dressing and cooking while she got going on the next one. Cranked 7 pizzas and one emergency calzone (fail but tasty I'm told) in rapid fire succession. Hit of the evening was the spring onion grape tomato pizza. I cooked two to make sure everyone got to try it and those that still had room after Caeser salad asked for it again so 3 out of 7... Recommend people try this one. The oil really picks up the flavour of the onion. The third one was a mix of fior di latte and regular mozzarella. Wanted to try to use up the prepped mozzarella...

Forgot my chill oil at home...

61/2.7/1.7SD - 24 hours bulk at 63 and 24 hours at whatever my cooler with 3 500ml bottles of ice was at...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:03:36 PM by rsaha »
Romain

Offline rsaha

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2015, 04:22:40 PM »
Still loving the washer mod. So simple yet very effective.

Had a couple friends over for dinner Saturday. Learned something (at least I think I learned something). The first two pizzas were fired at around 825. I left the blackstone running pretty hard when I brought the second pizza back. One of my friends was a bit concerned about the roar from the blackstone I guess because he turned it down. I was literally launching the pizza when I figured it out.

All three pizzas were from the same batch of dough, fired about 20 minutes apart (third one might have been a bit more than 20 minutes because we had a salad between pizzas). First two were wonderful, soft and delicious. Everything you'd want in a NP pizza. The third was tough. Not good at all. I didn't get a reading but I'm guessing the third pizza was launched at around 625-650F. I haven't really played too much with temp - always tried to get it around 800-850 and that has worked well for me. Live and learn...

Pics of the two pizzas that were good. 61/2.8/1.4 SD - 24/24 at around 62-64F. I'm sure everyone is sick to death of my green onion grape tomato pizza. Will not post it again:-) The other is simple proscuitto and fior di latte. I am still loving the thicker cut proscuitto for pizza.
Romain

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
very nice.

I do grape tomatoes and chives  and love it
Deb

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »
Very nice!

Offline rsaha

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I feel like I'm improving :) The chive idea is a good one too keep this one going until the spring onions appear again next year.

This weekend will be my first try on the GG... Fingers crossed!
Romain

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »
This weekend will be my first try on the GG... Fingers crossed!

If NP is the goal, my advice is to be aggressive. No guts, no glory. Launch at 720F+, turn the jets wide open, try to turn only once without opening the dome if possible. Who cares if the first try isn't perfect. Learn as much as you can and go from there.

Offline rsaha

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
Followed your advice. Told my wife Craig said no guts no glory (she knows who you are:-)

Still a lot of learning to do - apologies for posting these pics twice - I want them for here - this is my learning log...

61%/2.8%/1.4%SD 24 bulk/36 ball at (my guess is) 43-45F - completely screwed up under fermented dough...

Romain

pizzapan