Author Topic: Caputo gluten content  (Read 462 times)

Offline fagilia

Caputo gluten content
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:45:21 AM »
We usually evaluate flour by eating dough before it goes into the oven.
If it is more gummy before oven it will also be more gummy after oven.
Caputo is vey gummy compared to swedish flour with less protein content. But the W of swedish flour is the same since its
normal to use ascorbic acid here. Seems protein is more important to gummyness than how good connections in the glutennetwork is.
We like the softness of swedish flour but the taste of caputo. What to do, difficult?
We ferement for 24-28 hour today. Would amping up fermentation to 48h+ let the protease make some extra work on the dough you guys think?
We are not so desperate for high cornicione so if it gets a bit lower is no problem.

Offline Morudy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Caputo gluten content
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »
Have you tried all the Caputo flours? Some are very weak and great for softness. Salvo brothers mix all kinds of flours to get the one their after.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
hmm hard to get hold on here in sweden unfortunately.
I will make a try.

Offline schold

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »
I get different levels of gumminess each time I make pizza - even with the same flour and identical (to the best of my ability) workflow. Dough is so immensely complicated.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »
Can you share with us how you are measuring your ingredients and making the dough? How are you managing the dough from the mixer to the bench for use in making skins?

Offline Morudy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »
I'm going to experimenting with combinations of Caputo flours soon with a view to going weaker with shorter fermentation time so I'll fill you in with my findings.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
I'm going to experimenting with combinations of Caputo flours soon with a view to going weaker with shorter fermentation time so I'll fill you in with my findings.

I'm curious what your are thinking about. Pizzeria + Extra?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline fagilia

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
Yes offcourse the dough is complicated but we have seen a clear correlation between high gluten content and mor gumminess in the dough both before oven and after.
Dont matter how good you are cake flour will always produce a more tender pizzacrust than caputo pizzeria?
Correlation is bigger between gumminess and gluten than gumminess and strenght (W) since streanght also can be added by oxidising agent.
Caputo blue has a gluten content of 13,5 % my good friend works in a laboratory for flour so has measured it.
Also the fallingnumber was 360 which is really high, so if you experience problems with getting color on crust if this what you are after this might be a reason.

The workflow change everyday so the problem is not gumminess per se but more in general.
I think our pizza is more soft than most pizzas in Napels.

I think i will try and mix pizzeria and extra if i can get my hands on it. But i will not lower fermentation time as i think its bad for crust color. My theory
Sorry for spelling
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:58:21 AM by fagilia »

Offline Morudy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 11:09:51 AM »
I'm curious what your are thinking about. Pizzeria + Extra?

You may have seen the video below but if not here it is... Found it intriguing the way he talks and uses the properties of each flour. I know Ciro Salvo and Franco pepe both use these other flours too. I tried Red recently for a longer fermentation but never liked it... so going to try shorter and weaker.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 11:51:42 AM »
Cool,
Actually i talked to franco and ciro one moth ago and i think they both must switched flours then.
Ciro said 12h fermentation for tip0 and 24 for stronger 24h tipo00. I think but not sure he now might use farina petra. He never said but i have heard
Franco pepe uses flour now that is specially made for him as well as some other prominent pizzaiolos.

Offline Morudy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
Yes, I'd heard 12 hours type 0 too for Ciro. Combining the flours for the camera like you say... They'll have their own formula made up for them.

Interesting!

All this just carries on feeding the passion though... Endless areas to pull apart. That's why we love pizza!!

wordpress