Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 18195 times)

Offline scott123

Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
I pushed all the air out, sealed it, and packed it into a mini fridge (40F).  I also left an open bottle of water with the water level marked.   I suspect and moisture that is lost with me opening the fridge occassionally will be replaced by the bottle water.  We will see what happens over time, but I hope this is a good fix for that.

Chau, refrigerators, with or without open bottles of water, dry food out.  Plastic is air permeable, and the thinner the plastic the more air permeability you encounter.  It won't keep your flour moist forever, but if you want to prolong the moisture in your flour the longest, my suggestion would be to pack it in glass jars with metal lids that have rubber seals.  Thicker plastic is the next best solution, such as the plastic buckets with air tight lids one can usually get for free from bakery departments in supermarkets.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Yes good idea Fidel.  No 25lb bag of caputo available here.  Just the 50 pounder and I feel a bit lucky to even get that.  I can find the little small 1 kg bags of caputo chef's flour but the cost is prohibitive. 

But what I may do is portion out a 50lb bag of caputo into ziplock bags and push all the air out, then stack them into the big 25 gallon storage container.  I may also put a moist sponge in there and moisten it occassionally.  That will let me know just how airtight that sucker really is. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:12:13 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »
Thank you Scott, I will start hitting up the bakeries. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
That will let me know just how airtight that sucker really is.

If it's 25 gallon, I don't think it's airtight at all.

Thank you Scott, I will start hitting up the bakeries.

One other advantage of the bakery containers is that, instead of one huge container that exposes all the flour when you open it, you can break up the bag into multiple containers.  If I aggressively vibrate the container to get the flour to settle, I can squeeze a 50# bag into two 4.25 gallon covered buckets, but, in your case, you might want to go with 3 containers.

Btw, every supermarket department uses these plastic buckets.  I think the best department to ask is the bakery, as they go through the most of them (icing, glazes, etc.) and the ingredients don't have an odor that permeates the plastic like the pickles at the deli or the seafood buckets.  When you ask for your bucket, offer to wash it yourself, since the buckets waiting to be recycled will all be covered with some kind of sweet goo- and they'll be more inclined to give you one if they don't have to wash it first.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:49:00 AM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
When you ask for your bucket, offer to wash it yourself, since the buckets waiting to be recycled will all be covered with some kind of sweet goo-
Brilliant!  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
These are the buckets I used to store flour in if the flour was from a large bag.  My buckets had oil or corn syrup in them before.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
And these are really airtight?  The dryness here is pervasive!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:24:48 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline redox

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
We used to get various chemicals and resins that could not dry out. They were inside a plastic bag fastened with a twist tie and sealed inside the bucket. I can't imagine that you'd have a problem with flour if you did it that way.

Offline redox

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »
We used to get various chemicals and resins that could not dry out. They were inside a plastic bag fastened with a twist tie and sealed inside the bucket. I can't imagine that you'd have a problem with flour if you did it that way.
You could even leave a moist sponge outside the plastic bag but inside the bucket to keep the air from getting too dry.
Oops, meant to hit the modify button instead of quoting myself. What am I, Hollywood?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
And these are really airtight?  The dryness here is is pervasive!

Chau,

There is a rubber ring inside the top lid.  At least I think that keeps it somewhat airtight.  The other container I have is a step up from the plastic buckets, but is much more expensive.  Don't mind my messy shed though, that is the next thing on my agenda to get cleaned up.  Too much pizza forum for me.  :-D

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline parallei

« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Yes good idea Fidel.  No 25lb bag of caputo available here.  Just the 50 pounder and I feel a bit lucky to even get that.  I can find the little small 1 kg? bags caputo chef's flour but the cost is prohibitive. 

But what I may do is portion out a 50lb bag of caputo into ziplock bags and push all the air out, then stack them into the big 25 gallon storage container.  I may also put a moist sponge in there and moisten it occassionally.  That will let me know just how airtight that sucker really is.

It's pretty dry here in Denver also, though not this week........

I've had luck busting large quantities into sturdy one gallon zip locks (5 lbs each) and putting them into the freezer.  I'm probably not as persnickety about it as some!  I should probably become more so. ;D

Offline scott123

« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
At least I think that keeps it somewhat airtight.

The O ring keeps it airtight.  Occasionally I've seen this O ring get nicked by box cutters, but, as long as the O ring is intact and the top is all the way down (I press down with all my weight all the way around the edge), it's air tight.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
I may also put a moist sponge in there and moisten it occassionally.

Those little plastic things you fill with water and use to keep a cigar humidor at the right humidity might be a good choice.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:57:10 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
They also make these little clay bears for brown sugar at $5 a pop.  I might invest in some of those as well.  I just need a little humidity in there to off set the air that's trapped in there.   OK no more excuses for me, time to start getting serious about my pizza making!

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
Hey Chau

I stopped buying those 50 lb bags long ago... most of it went to waste.  I now buy the 20lb re-packs off of Amazon.  Its from Brickovenbaker and I've never had an old bag yet.  I wait until Amazon has a free shipping deal and it makes it worth it.  I keep it wrapped tightly in the bag its sent with placed in a 25 gallon bucket...  so far I've had no problems with this as I use up the flour way before it goes bad or dries out. 

Scot

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
So you are paying about $30 for 20 lbs? That's not too bad.  I can get the 50lb bags here locally for $40.  It's figuring out how to store it properly. 

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »
Well, here in sunny, humid, Florida, I buy a bag of flour, put what I'll use for about a month in a tupperware container, which then goes in the home freezer. The rest stays in it's original bag, which is then FoodSavered (how's that for a word?), sucking all the air out, and sealed, and put in the deep freezer.

Tom

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
Yeah Chau about 30 bucks.   Its a little pricey but 1) I don't have an option of buying it local 2) I hate wasting flour.  So it works for me. 

Does freezing the flour have an ill effect on it?  Never done it

Scot

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
 i hate pm.com, i makes me buy ovens  :D

Offline scott123

« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
That's awesome, Larry, that you took the plunge.  The more NP experts we have using the oven the better.

The box looks relatively intact, which is good.

pizzapan