Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 15814 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
This is my 3 rd bake
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
I've settled on baking between 700-800.  With this oven it's been difficult to get it to bake longer than 3:45!  The bottoms were completely baked, no gummy layer and nice cell structure, but they're paler than I would like.  Sorry there's no underskirt or crumb shots.  The family gobbled it up before I could do any of that!

I used a basic Lehmann formulation. Pendleton Power Flour, Water-64%, IDY-0.25%, Salt-1.75%, Oil-1%, Sugar-0.8% (sugar usually left out, but I'm trying to get more browning), TF=0.08. Cold fermented overnight.

The toppings were tomato sauce, fresh mozz, Carrando and Margherita pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage from the local Italian market, peppadew peppers, aleppo pepper and Olave garlic-infused olive on the rim and drizzled.

The second pizza was the same but I used garlic stuffed green olives in lieu of peppadew peppers.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #222 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
From the Blackstone today on the beach !
Very nice, and VERY cute girls having a great time too!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
Chau Amano Has a Uses a Pietro Berto Fork Mixure. full bagger !
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
john great pictures of the kids and pies. taking you pizza oven to the park, how funny is that. who needs hot dogs and burgers when you have the balckstone!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:19 AM »
Tonight's NP pies.  7 hour dough made with CY.  First has bufala mozz and Di Napoli tomatoes.  2) Craig's fig pie: Grande fior di latte, fresh figs, fig jam, prosciutto, danish blue cheese crumbles, and a swirl evoo.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:59:42 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:14 AM »
  jsaras, nice pies!!! ny style??

chau, nice pizzas as usual!!! how do you like the bianco tomatoes ?? i have bought two pallets and they are now gone. they raised the price 3.00 per case,not sure i'm re buying. what you  opinion of the product?

Offline italdream

« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
Tonight's offering.  Made with old dehydrated caputo 00 flour.  66% hydration, 0.2% old CY, CF for 3 days.  Baked 63-64 sec.  One of the prettier pies I've made.

One the best looking pies coming from a BS.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
  jsaras, nice pies!!! ny style??

chau, nice pizzas as usual!!! how do you like the bianco tomatoes ?? i have bought two pallets and they are now gone. they raised the price 3.00 per case,not sure i'm re buying. what you  opinion of the product?

Where are you all purchasing the Bianco tomatoes?

Thanks,
Chad

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
...do you think insulation behind the heat stop and above the top ceramic stone will help hold more heat? another question i see one of the mods is to add a plate to the opening to reduce the open are in the front. why not cut the top of the body down to lower the whole top area ?

Larry I don't think insulation behind the heat shield or above the top ceramic stone will hurt.  I'm not sure it's necessary but I do think it might help.  I have bunched up some aluminum foil and packed it loosely behind the heat shield.  I have not insulated the top as member Pizzajerk (Anthony) has done.  But that will be my next step.

The only way I see of lowering the ceiling is to cut the heat shield and I don't recommend doing that. 
how do you like the bianco tomatoes ?? i have bought two pallets and they are now gone. they raised the price 3.00 per case,not sure i'm re buying. what you  opinion of the product?

Well these are the Di Napoli tomatoes, canned by the same company that cans the organic Bianco Di Napoli tomatoes.  I haven't done a side by side comparison but I'm pretty sure it's the same tomatoes.   I liked these tomatoes.   They are nice and firm and come in a semi thick sauce.   Decent flavor, and not too tart.  I paid about $9 for the BIG can.   These are decent tomatoes but not better than the Stanislaus Alta Cucinas (going from memory).  Having said that, I don't have access to Alta Cucinas so these will do. 

Chad I got these tomatoes at a local Italian mart, and I can get the Bianco Di Napoli tomatoes at an Asian/import store but they are way over priced there.  $4 for the small 28 oz. can.

Chau
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:21:07 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline csafranek

« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Thanks Chau! The funny thing is I have a can of that and haven't tried it yet!  :-D I have been dying to try Bianco too!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »
 :-D
Thanks Chau! The funny thing is I have a can of that and haven't tried it yet!  :-D I have been dying to try Bianco too!

Same parent company.  I would bet money its the same tomatoes with diferent labelling.  A quick call to them would answer that question though.   ???
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:13:17 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
A few tester NP crusts tonight. Made with old dehydrated caputo 00 flour.  I was wrong about old dehydrated flour.  Apparently I can learn how to make decent dough with old flour.  Made with IDY and CF for 2 days.  I have been working on an Amano like crust.  This first one was bake sub 60 sec and the texture was similar to Craig's crust.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »
2nd pie was the same dough but bake out to 85 sec or so.  This produced a crust that was more to my liking.  A crisp veneer and better crumb structure.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
Nice job Chau.
Bert,