Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 20602 times)

Offline slybarman

Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
While my skills are not up to this challenge, I will be watching with great interest. Good luck to anyone giving it a go.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
Trust me, it isn't going to be easy.   :-D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »
Trust me, it isn't going to be easy.   :-D

Nope, it won't. The main problem with the challenge is that I don't want to make a picture perfect replica of Craig's pies, and I don't think most people do either. I want to make an amazing looking wonderfully tasting NP pizza that looks exactly like Jeff's pizza. I want people to look at it and know it must be mine, not Craigs.

But, I think Chau knew this when he assigned the challenge. Craig is probably the only one that can make an exact craig pie. And even if someone did manage to do it, I think the efforts for exact replication would have been wasted instead of seeking something unique. I think Craigs info is to be used to experiment with- more of a guide.

scott123

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »
The main problem with the challenge is that I don't want to make a picture perfect replica of Craig's pies, and I don't think most people do either. I want to make an amazing looking wonderfully tasting NP pizza that looks exactly like Jeff's pizza. I want people to look at it and know it must be mine, not Craigs.

But what if you could make a pizza that looks like yours and then a pizza that looks like Craig's?  That's what I'm encouraging. I'm encouraging people that already have a beautiful original approach of their own to branch out and see if they can emulate a Craig style pie.

We've already seen plenty of great NP pizzas come out of the Blackstone.  There's no question it can do amazing NP pizza.  I put forward the idea of emulating Craig as an attempt to see how great of an NP pizza can come out of this.

And, FWIW, there's probably at least 40 active members that would give their first born to make a picture perfect replica of Craig's pizza. Me included.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:26:37 PM by scott123 »

Mal

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 05:48:58 AM »
But what if you could make a pizza that looks like yours and then a pizza that looks like Craig's?  That's what I'm encouraging. I'm encouraging people that already have a beautiful original approach of their own to branch out and see if they can emulate a Craig style pie.

We've already seen plenty of great NP pizzas come out of the Blackstone.  There's no question it can do amazing NP pizza.  I put forward the idea of emulating Craig as an attempt to see how great of an NP pizza can come out of this.

And, FWIW, there's probably at least 40 active members that would give their first born to make a picture perfect replica of Craig's pizza. Me included.

I think most folks who have a WFO, hell even Mario Acunto owners might have a hard time making a "perfect replica of Craig's pizza". Surely a successful result here would say more about the pizzamaker than the Blackstone oven? Or perhaps that is the point of this challenge?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:55:13 AM by Mal »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
I agree Jeff and Mal.  But I've already said these things in earlier posts.

Jeff, it wouldn't truely be a wasted effort as we always learn something in the process of trying but I agree, what is the point of emulating Craig's pie.  Especially to make a pie that looks like a Craig pie but may not even have the crust texture.  Personally I think it would be easier to match the texture of Craig's crust than it is to match the look of his pizza. As I've stated before, there are 100's of factors and variables that need to be in place to replicate the look of Craig's pies, inlcuding his oven, personal and unique touch, and attention to detail.  But here in lies the problem.  Not a lot of members have even had Craig's pizza and there is no way to judge textural qualities.   But making a look a like NP pizza is a whole other level of difficulty.  I tried to explain this to Scott already.

I think most folks who have a WFO, hell even Mario Acunto owners might have a hard time making a "perfect replica of Craig's pizza". Surely a successful result here would say more about the pizzamaker than the Blackstone oven? Or perhaps that is the point of this challenge?

Exactly...

Quote from: Jackie Tran
Consider this....there isn't a member here that can make a "carbon copy" of a Craig pie using his dough methods baking in a WFO let alone a $360 BS...

Speaking of Carbon Copies....is anyone really making carbon copies of anyone else's pies on the forum?  Can any member carbon copy Craig's, Omid's, Matthew's, our 2 Bill's, our 2 John's, Marlon's, and whoever else's NP pies?  Nope....Can anyone of the forum's Greats carbon copy any of the other's pies using a WFO?  Nope...

Quote from: Jackie Tran
..And difficult is a huge understatement.   Like I said earlier, I alluded to environmental differences.  The humidity plays a huge role in how flour makes dough.   The techniques use to open a dough affect how it bakes up and looks in the oven.  The specific oven itself and how it is manage all come into play regardless if you think the thermodynamics are reproducible or not.  When to turn the pie and pull it out makes a difference.  How much sauce, cheese, ingredients makes a difference.

And dear members, to make the challenge even easier, I am going to expand the limitations of this challenge a bit.   If any member can make a duplicate of an Omid pie, A Da Michele pie, or a Gino Sorbillo pie using a Blackstone oven, then I will refund you the cost of your oven.   This Challenge is also open to WFO owners as well.  The prize for wfo owners will be endless praise, forum wide recognition of their prowess in pizza making, and bragging rights.

So that it is clear, I am not making a mockery of this challenge.  I do hope that BS owners make valid attempt.  If anything, it will at least show the capabilities of the BS oven and improve the skills of the participants.  I myself will be partiipating in this challenge.   And members can freely post up any pictures of  their pizzas even if they simply wish to show them off and not be part of the challenge.

Chau

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:43:58 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
I made these in my blackstone yesterday.   These were made just for practice thus the non NP topping.  Both pies were 80sec pies.  Look at how supple the bottom crust is.

Offline parallei

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
Chau,

Those are some fine looking pies.  Nice work!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 11:10:17 AM »
Thank you Paul.  Please post some of your fine work here!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »
White pizza- Fresh Mozz, parm, cracked pepper and egg. I put the egg on too late so I had to keep it in longer than I wanted and the egg still came out undercooked. All and all very good.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
That looks awesome Jeff!  I've always wanted to try cooking an egg on a pie but haven't.  Would the egg cook too much if you put it on prior to launching?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
I did it once before and it did. But it wasn't in the BS and I think it may have been a longer bake. Next time I will try from the get go.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »
I am not an egg person, so I won't be doing it - but cool that you tried it and nice looking pie.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
I'm supposed to be getting 4-5 dozen fresh farm eggs from some neighbors in the next week or so and they will be going on some pies and WONDERFUL on lasagna

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 12:35:33 AM »
The competition is to produce a Craig pie on the BS.  As Craig is a judge maybe he can also participate.  If Craig can find the time maybe he can bake one of his pies on the BS.
I would propose that the oven be unmodified so we have a starting point.  He can then assess the end result as it relates to his Acunto pies.  This will help us target what adjustments if any are needed on the oven as well as change dough formula and work flow as needed.

I noticed that DocSpine has a BS and lives in Dallas.  Hint Hint

I recognize that this may represent an imposition so for that I apologize.

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
The competition is to produce a Craig pie on the BS.  As Craig is a judge maybe he can also participate.  If Craig can find the time maybe he can bake one of his pies on the BS.
I would propose that the oven be unmodified so we have a starting point.  He can then assess the end result as it relates to his Acunto pies.  This will help us target what adjustments if any are needed on the oven as well as change dough formula and work flow as needed.

I noticed that DocSpine has a BS and lives in Dallas.  Hint Hint

I recognize that this may represent an imposition so for that I apologize.

Bob
Thought this is supposed to be a "challenge".  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
Bob & Bob... ;D 

I volunteered Craig to be a judge.  I don't think he has had time to consider and accept this proposition.

Bobino, the challenge will be challenging enough even with a modified oven.  In my estimation, it will still be a challenge even with a wfo.   And now that I have expanded the paramenters a bit, cloning an Omid, Da Michele, or a Sorbillo pie, I am still fairly confident that it can't easily be done. 

If Craig is open to trying his dough in a BS, that would be wonderful.  But I have my doubts that even Craig can duplicate one of his Acunto pies aesthetically in the BS considering the baking thermodynamics are different.  But if Craig can pull it off, then I will have much more confidence our other members have a decent chance.  We shall see..I have been known to be wrong before.   :P

Chau
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:39:28 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be fair to say that if Craig is not able to reproduce a "Craig's clone" on a BS, then nobody can?

I think that would be the ultimate challenge..... ;D
Paolo

Offline slybarman

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be fair to say that if Craig is not able to reproduce a "Craig's clone" on a BS, then nobody can?

I think that would be the ultimate challenge..... ;D

LOL. That does seem a fair point.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
Well I never said that Craig or anyone else couldn't do it.  I just said that I have my doubts.  :-D. Maybe someone will surprise us.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:38:34 PM by Jackie Tran »

pizzapan