Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 21142 times)

Offline parallei

Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
It wil be great fun to see everyones' pies.  However, you're all going to need to man/women up like Chau and show the bottoms. ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
Paul, your latest pies using Craig's methods baked in your 2stone showed some nice leoparding.   Please consider posting some of your pies here.

Chau

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
Craig, DocSpine

When I suggested that Craig bake one of his pies in DocSpine's BS I thought they lived in the same city but apparently they don't.    My apologies.

Bob

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
Pies from this afternoon in my Blackstone.  This one was 50 seconds.  made with CY and about a 24hour dough. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »
This one is made from the same process except IDY was used.  Some adjustments were made to the flame and this one baked about 70-80sec.  It's a spin off of Craig's mushroom truffle oil pie.  I love the flavor of this pie.  I used a white sauce, cheese, then mushrooms, truffle oil, and black pepper. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »
Another CY pie but this one was allowed to proof up a bit more.  This one was around a 60 pie with 3-4 seconds of holding the pie on the peel towards the flame to even out the browning of the crust. 

Offline dhorst

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
Wow, those are some pretty looking pies!  There's some nice leoparding going on there.  The crumb looks airy and moist.  How did the cake yeast compare to the IDY, flavor wise?  I've been playing around with cake yeast, ADY and Ischia of late.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2013, 07:16:32 PM »
Absolutely beautiful pies.
Looks like he'll be writing that check to himself before long.

Perry

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Absolutely beautiful pies.
Looks like he'll be writing that check to himself before long.

Perry
I know man.... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
Thanks Diana and Perry.  I forgot to mention Diana, that is allepo chile oil on the first pie and third pie.  Gives the pies a little extra wonderful kick.  As far as flavor difference between the CY and IDY pie, no not really.     

Perry, this BS challenge was mostly in jest, meaning that I don't think it's possible to make a Craig clone pizza in the BS oven.  I am still serious about sending someone a check for their BS oven if they can produce a Craig clone pie.  The challenge came out of a debate Scott123 and I had about whether it is possible to make a Craig clone pie with the BS.  I said no and he said yes.   I will still try to make the best NP pizzas I can with this oven though.  These were pretty decent eating pies. 

Actually right now, I am trying to get together a list of people to raise some $ to get Scott123 a Blacktone oven for "his" personal use. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26277.0.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:55:17 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »
No worries.   I doubt I will be winning the challenge.  If it makes members feel any better, I can exclude myself from the challenge.   Again, this challenge is open to WFO owners as well.  Feel free to post up your best pies or pies that you think look like Craig's Pizza.  If a WFO owner wins the challenge, they will get a nice little prize (not determined yet) and bragging rights.   :-D

Chau

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
The challenge came out of a debate Scott123 and I had about whether it is possible to make a Craig clone pie with the BS.  I said no and he said yes.   
I feel it's sorta like destined to be that Scott will win the Challenge(and Chau's check) right on his very own "appreciation grill" that he received through none other than Mr. Chau's efforts!!   ;D

Now that would be some kind of Carma baby....what a hoot!   >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
Were these done with or without your deflector mod? 
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
Jeff, they were done with the heat deflector in place.   Anyone interested in the challenge can use a modded or unmodded BS oven or any oven for that matter.   I have a theory that NP pies are unique to the pie maker and oven.   

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »
Jackie, I am not sure that those latest pies of yours are exact Craig's clones, but they are so damn close and much better of whatever I could ever achieve (so far) in my WFO. 

Congrats!
Paolo

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
Jeff, they were done with the heat deflector in place.   Anyone interested in the challenge can use a modded or unmodded BS oven or any oven for that matter.   I have a theory that NP pies are unique to the pie maker and oven.

I figured based on the balance of heat between the rim and center.  looking good!
-Jeff

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:31 PM »
Very very nice! I've got a new goal. I will definitely be trying the deflector soon.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »
Thanks guys.  I will keep working at it to improve the texture of the crust. 

Jeff, let me know how you like the heat deflector mod.  And do post up some of your pies here please.  I don't want to be the only one.   :-D

Chau

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »
Okay I will. I don't have any NP dough going right now. My last pie from yesterday is in the other thread you saw. I'm thinking Sunday I'll have a NP pizza.

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2013, 04:31:55 AM »
Houston and Dallas are a mere 3-4 hour drive apart. Less time then it takes to fire up a WFO :-D
hint hint >:D