Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 17606 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »
 the mod i want to work on is to find a outdoor wood fire pit that has the dimensions needed i think 22 inches use the round insert as the cover to the black stone. i would put insulation then some refractory cement. looking today for one.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »
the mod i want to work on is to find a outdoor wood fire pit that has the dimensions needed i think 22 inches use the round insert as the cover to the black stone. i would put insulation then some refractory cement. looking today for one.

This is a great mod idea.  If you are familiar with the PizzaHacker video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9IErbHJgg),  Jeff Krupman used vermiculite or pearlite mixed with cement (aggregate? TBD) as a lightweight top for his weber.  You can acquire a nice 22" top that fits inside the Blackstone for $50 at Walmart to use, or use as a form.

I haven't done any of this stuff, but as a suggestion consider using lath or chicken wire screwed into the lid shape.  Consider adding black colorant because a quick search on emissivity will reveal that dark is good.

Also, pls consider posting this modification in the "Blackstone Mods and Adjustments" section.  There are some nice folks over there that would appreciate your creativity.

dave
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:00:39 PM by Tampa »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »
Tonight's offering.  Made with old dehydrated caputo 00 flour.  66% hydration, 0.2% old CY, CF for 3 days.  Baked 63-64 sec.  One of the prettier pies I've made.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
very nice Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
Same dough but this time lowered loading temp amd flame and baked 1m 45s maybe closer to 2m.  It put a very nice crisp to the cornicione which I preferred.   :-D

I plan to repeat this formula with the more fresh GM flour when I get back from my trip. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:21:01 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2013, 12:20:08 AM »
 well after seeing chau's BS pies i'm a little embarrassed to show mine. this was my first attempt and i have to say this is a heck of a oven. i cannot wait till i get time for mods. i notice the cheese and sauce dry out and i think the chau reflector corrects this problem. the flame was very powerful and reminded me of the neapolitan ovens they were using at the pizza expo in vegas. the taste of the pizza was also similar to the pizza at the expo. every italian flour producer had a gas oven and was using it to demo their flour.
 stefano ferrara also used a gas fired wood oven which was manned by the chef from caine rosso. they ran the oven at 902 degrees on the digital readout and stefano adjusted it downward when the chef felt the pies were over cooking. don't know if that is of interest but it may help in tuning this oven.
 i did not have my thermometer so i do not know what temperature i was at but all pies were under 2 minutes. i used the turning peel to get the pies off of the floor and spun them to get the leading edge to brown by the flame. the first two pies had a little to much char. the doming method helped a lot. the dough was very fresh and a little cold, 24 hour cold ferment and only two hours at room temperature. pictures

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:22:30 AM by thezaman »

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
Nothing to be embarrassed about, those pizzas look pretty incredible.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
 I don't believe how well this thing works out of the box. There are gas ovens that cost thousand of dollars that cannot do what this thing does!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Nothing to be embarrassed about, those pizzas look pretty incredible.
No shame in that game...great pies on your first fire up Larry!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
Larry, I've always been a fan of your pies and these are no different.   Their look is hard to distinguish from your wfo pies.  They look great and I would love to try one someday.

Can you give me a comparison of the two.  I'm interested in the texture.  Do you feel like the crust and crumb comes out over baked or underbaked?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
Told Ya So Larry ! Still mad at now ? too many ovens ? never !!  ;D
Mine is going to the beach today 5 dough balls 3 day CF  gonna be sweet !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Told Ya So Larry ! Still mad at now ? too many ovens ? never !!  ;D
Mine is going to the beach today 5 dough balls 3 day CF  gonna be sweet !
John
oh chau really Nice !! How was the shy underside ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:36:47 PM by JConk007 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
Tonight's offering.  Made with old dehydrated caputo 00 flour.  66% hydration, 0.2% old CY, CF for 3 days.  Baked 63-64 sec.  One of the prettier pies I've made.

^^^ that one would be tough to improve on much. Very impressive.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »
 john, i now love pm.com ;D

chau, my dough was fresh and  cool. i usually use room temperature dough and get a more open crumb from it. it is also usually a more proofed dough 4 to 5 hours at room temperature. i thought the sauce and cheese dried out  some, have you experienced that ?.the dough seemed to have cooked more thoroughly it was a little crisper than a realy hot wood oven dough. these pies were  very close to 2 minutes . i will be more accurate with temperatures and methods in the future . this was 5 dough balls that i kept from a catering that was done on Saturday night . on the way home i bought a tank of propane, fired it up, warmed the oven till the thermometer hit 500 thinking the oven had to be a lot hotter than that,and it was . made a pie started cooking, i thought the pizza very close to wood fired, but not quite the same. as i said earlier no different than the pies at the expo. actually  better then most of them. they were sampling lots of people so they were very lightly topped with ingredients. you tasted the crust and tomatoes very little cheese or basil was used.    chau, i used my pizza turning peel to get the pie off of the floor an cooked like i do in my wood oven.that lets you compensate for to hot of a floor. i need to go thru all of the mods.
 do you think insulation  behind the heat stop and above the top ceramic stone will help hold more heat? another question i see one of the mods is to add a plate to the opening to reduce the open are in the front. why not cut the top of the body down to lower the whole top area ?

Offline dhorst

« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
I am following this thread with much fascination.  I'd like to get a Black Stone in the near future, but I do wonder if the company is looking at everyone's tweaks--Chau's in particular, and modify their design.  So, I'm holding out for now--plus I'm not sure what the husband would say, considering my trip to Houston and New Haven from Syracuse in the name of pizza.   ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
Don't think they are going to get much cheaper Diane !come on jump in the waters fine.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2013, 01:13:12 PM »
 Diane, think about it you are going to be making some top shelf pies,and you lucky husband will be eating them. how can he say no!!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
John, the bottom looked like all the other bottom shots I've posted in various threads.  Nothing new.  ;)
BTW, I've been trying to replicate that Amano dough even though I don't have a diving arm mixer.  Results aren't too bad so far. 

I got a nod of approval from Larry, John, and Craig?  Oh boy, now it's getting exciting.   8)  Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Diana, I have a feeling you can get away with whatever you want to at home.   :-D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »
From the Blackstone today on the beach !

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »
Nice John.  Was it worth the wait?

pizzapan