Author Topic: Cold ferment question  (Read 907 times)

Offline cwood

Cold ferment question
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
I am using this recipe:

Flour:    585.81 g | 20.66 oz | 1.29 lbs
Water:    328.05 g | 11.57 oz | 0.72 lbs
Salt:    11.72 g | 0.41 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.1 tsp | 0.7 tbsp
IDY:    pinch
Preferment:    41.01 g | 1.45 oz | 0.09 lbs
Oil:    11.72 g | 0.41 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.6 tsp | 0.87 tbsp
Sugar:    5.86 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.47 tsp | 0.49 tbsp
Total:    984.46 g | 34.73 oz | 2.17 lbs  | TF = 0.09135

I mix 3/4 of flour and all ingredients for 5 minutes then autolyse for 15-20 mins...then a 10 min machine with hook after adding the rest of the flour.  I usually counter rise for an hour or two, then ball and put in a cooler with a bottle of ice for another day and a half.  Then warm on the counter for 2-3 hours prior to baking.  I have found that in most cases I get a huge bubble on top of the ball by the time it comes out of the cooler.  I usually deflate it prior to the warming but have wondered if this is normal or optimal.  I was wondering if it is because of the small amount of IDY that I have been adding.  Maybe it just doesn't matter and its not hurting anything?

I am just warming another batch as we speak and this batch has an even smaller amount of IDY in it....next to none.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Cold ferment question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
I don't know if you are using as small of an amount of yeast as you think you are. You are probably giving it a pretty warm ferment in just a cooler with a bottle of ice. I use about .03% yeast for 500G batch. That is a very very tiny pinch and that has me ready in under 24 hours. Also the water temp you use will be a big factor. I know it sucks, but I would recommend buying a scale. I use 2 scales always and it has made a big difference.

Offline cwood

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
I do use a scale.  I do all my measures by weight.  Would you agree that it is sub optimal to have a big bubble form?

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »
I wouldn't really call that a cold ferment, a cold ferment would be to put your dough in the refridgerator, preferrable a spare, which doesn't get opened and closed throughout the day. Your dough is not cold enough, so the bubble you see is advanced fermentation, fermentation that colder temps would curtail.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
I do use a scale.  I do all my measures by weight.  Would you agree that it is sub optimal to have a big bubble form?

Oh so what was the weight on your IDY? and yes I agree it is sub optimal.

Offline cwood

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Oh so what was the weight on your IDY? and yes I agree it is sub optimal.

Scale doesn't read that low. such a tiny amount.  If I use a starter that is healthy perhaps I don't need any at all?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
Scale doesn't read that low. such a tiny amount.  If I use a starter that is healthy perhaps I don't need any at all?

That was the scale I was saying you should get. A low weight amount scale. And no you don't need additional yeast if you are using a starter. Look at craigs threads in the NP section. He doesn't use IDY or ADY or any forms.

Offline cwood

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »
Following up. Did a batch last weekend with nothing but starter and had a very good result.  No more IDY I guess.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
you're confusing me @cwood, this started out as a question on cold ferments, then we got IDY involved, and now we went from a preferment to a starter. A preferment and a starter are technically not the same thing, so I don't really know where you're headed here. ???

Offline cwood

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:53:49 AM »
Don't meant to confuse.... I get mixed up on the difference between a starter and preferment.  My question was why I was getting a huge bubble in my dough while fermenting and whether it was because of using a 100% starter and a bit of IDY.  It seems with my cooler based 2 day ferment that I can go without any IDY and I don't get the monster bubble.

pizzapan