Author Topic: Small clumps in caputo blue label!! help  (Read 970 times)

Offline Vigntette

• I Love Pizza!
Small clumps in caputo blue label!! help
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
Doc,
Working with a 55lb bag of 00 caputo blue label we have experienced small pelts/clumps of flour that wont mix away.. dough does not get that outer skin sheen when shaping..

Any thoughts as to why..? Old flour? can there be a bad batch? does it expire? outside temperature change?

We have made exceptional dough in the same space with same recipe and methods.

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:47:24 PM by Vigntette »

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Small clumps in caputo blue label!! help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
I have had this happen to me too, but never with the 55lb bag, only with the 1 kilo. I assumed it was from moisture creating the clumps and that cause was the subpar wrapping on the 1 kilo bags compared to the big bags.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
V;
I agree with Jeffery. Your flour might have been exposed to less than ideal storage conditions at some time after milling and bagging. Try sifting the flour to remove and clumped flour for now. You might even put some of the clumps into a plastic vile and send them to the distributor so they can take appropriate action. Remember, if they don't know about it, they can't do anything about it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
 i have had the same problem at times. the flour with theses clumps does not mix or shape properly. humidity has gotten into the flour. i have sent back the suspect flour. i have this happen with both caputo and american flour. like tom said there is a storage issue somewhere. one of the characteristics is that your bakers formula doesn't work as normal. it takes a lot more flour to get it to mix.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
The only distributor of Caputo in Houston stopped carrying it because of the frequency of problems like this.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
Flour is hygroscopic, just like cement.  It will absorb moisture from the air, so it is important that it be kept in a climate controlled environment or used quickly.  If you do not want to trash it, sift it into smaller paper bags and freeze them for a week or 2 then put it into an airtight container.  This does not work for cement, unfortunately, it reacts and "dies".

Offline dohboy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
I've had this happen twice over the past 20 months or so when using Caputo Pizzeria.

My current distributor puts each Caputo bag inside of a plastic bag and seals them to keep moisture out while stored in their warehouse- haven't had the issue since. 

Offline Vigntette

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »
Very cool thank you all!

Offline dohboy

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
Update:  I received a batch of bags (both red and blue) last week with the clumping issue and some other shops I know have as well. 

I spoke to the importer and they're aware of a few containers that picked up moisture on their way from Italy, but aren't certain of the exact lot #'s affected.  Mine was L 136.

To prevent this problem, they are packing the containers with salt in Italy to absorb excess moisture during shipment.  If you have clumping, return the bags to your vendor and they'll pass along the lot #'s to Orlando Foods.