Author Topic: Thin is in - pics  (Read 2270 times)

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Thin is in - pics
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
More thin crust pies this weekend, kept it simple with some seasoned passata and whole milk mozz, topped with raw pork sausage. Pics before and after, snapped with my cell phone:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:36:16 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Thin is in - pics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
I did add some diced onions, too. Something about onions and sausage that we really enjoy! Below are a few more pics. The last 2 pics are of the last pie which was baked this evening:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:36:59 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Nice!  I really prefer onions finely diced when on pizza.  They kind of melt into it.  I'm sure Adam Kuban would dig into that pie!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
That kinda looks like what many refer to as a "Grandma pie", at least that's the name in New York.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
Looks great, but why so light on the cheese!   :chef:

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
Looks perfect to me!  :drool:

Offline CDN

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
I am very new to posting but that Pizza looks very very good

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:30 AM »

Yea but you're from Albuquerque!   :chef:

seriously, the Midwest pies have a ton of cheese, and you'd probably get chased outta town for serving a pie where you could see the sauce through the cheese.  Normally this would be fine, but just pointing it out as this is the Chicago forum correct?  :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:19:30 AM »
That kinda looks like what many refer to as a "Grandma pie", at least that's the name in New York.

I didn't know what grandma pie was, but then I saw this
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/09/what-is-grandma-pizza-erica-marcus-explains-once-more.html

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
That pizza looks awesome Johnny....it is perfect old school Chicago thin!!  :chef:
The top cheese crust is a thing of beauty and I sure would appreciate knowing what brand cheese(s) you used. You say whole milk mozz but it sure cooked differently than what one usually see's. Also' looks like a blend of cheese's on there too. Did you bake high up in your oven; temp. please?  :chef:
Faaantastic work!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
Nice!  I really prefer onions finely diced when on pizza.  They kind of melt into it.  I'm sure Adam Kuban would dig into that pie!

Finely diced or sliced in rings - I love 'em too. Try adding some on top of the sauce before the cheese.  :chef:
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

That's a whole different animal. Dough formulation, method of spreading dough and thickness factor - very different from a Grandma style pie. This dough was about as thick as two credit cards stacked on top of each other, was rolled out and docked, and HR at 50% - definitely not a Grandma style pie.
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
Looks great, but why so light on the cheese!   :chef:

Thanks - I add what I consider to be just enough cheese to compliment the rest of the ingredients. The burst of flavor from the sauce, the buttery and salty cheese, the savory-greasy fennel sausage, and that thin foldeable crust underneath holding it all together : it's harmonious.  Sometimes on a NY style pie I'll apply more cheese with a more generous hand, but for my personal taste and preference - there is too much of a good thing, especially when it's a lot of cheese on a thin crusted pie.
Il miglior fabbro

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
Also, sauce goes on top of Grandma pie. They are mighty fine eating too though.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »

Thanks Jackie!
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »

seriously, the Midwest pies have a ton of cheese, and you'd probably get chased outta town for serving a pie where you could see the sauce through the cheese.  Normally this would be fine, but just pointing it out as this is the Chicago forum correct?  :chef:

Good thing I'm only making pies for friends and family.  ::)
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
That pizza looks awesome Johnny....it is perfect old school Chicago thin!!  :chef:
The top cheese crust is a thing of beauty and I sure would appreciate knowing what brand cheese(s) you used. You say whole milk mozz but it sure cooked differently than what one usually see's. Also' looks like a blend of cheese's on there too. Did you bake high up in your oven; temp. please?  :chef:
Faaantastic work!

Many thanks Chicago Bob! To be honest with you, I grabbed some whole milk mozz that was on sale at the grocery store here in Brazil. I don't think the brand would have helped you out much - but I WILL pay attention the next time and try to note down the fat content as well. It's a very soft mozz, and when grated tends to break off into chunks. This cheese does brown very, very easily. I didn't use a blend of cheeses - just the one type of mozz ( though I initially started with "slices" before grating the rest - as can be seen in the first pic before going into the oven ;) )

I preheated my electric oven to 300degrees celsius - and baked on the bottom rack for about 5-6 minutes, before transferring to the middle rack and turning on the top heating element (also to 300 deg celsius) - where the pie finished cooking after another 5 minutes or so.
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
I am very new to posting but that Pizza looks very very good

Thanks CDN!
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »
Here's some greasy-little-square action from last night:

Kept it simple-  whole milk mozz and homemade sausage (with plenty of crushed red chilli). Sauce made with peeled tomatoes, garlic, a little red onion, dried oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper - everything pulsed for about a minute.

Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
And a slice from another pie - same toppings as the pie above but with some diced bell peppers:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:29:05 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro