Author Topic: Activating a Camaldoli Culture  (Read 485 times)

Offline Riccardo39

Activating a Camaldoli Culture
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:13:19 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to activate a Camaldoli culture that arrived in dried form. I've previously activated an Ischia culture and used it successfully for a couple of years before accidentally killing it through high temperature. After 36 hours my Camaldoli was frothing like a rabid beast and I thought activation was complete ahead of schedule. However, after another feeding, it has returned to frothing much more gently, and it now looks like I'm still a couple of days short of full activation.

My worry is that the culture may have got contaminated. Does this kind of mad frothing followed by a lull sound like contamination to you? I don't think the culture smells bad - it smells like yoghurt to me.

Grateful for any advice.

Offline rrweather

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Activating a Camaldoli Culture
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
I am certainly no expert, as I just started working with cultures. To me, frothing sounds like contamination. My ischia culture became contaminated and exhibited the same frothing you mentioned. After another day, it began separating in the jar between feedings. I washed mine per the instrucions from sourdo and within a day or two, it looked much healthier. Now that both cultures are healthy, I realize how bad the contaminated culture smelled. I too didn't think it was bad at first. Now I realize it was the best indicator of contamination. With mine, the entire cooler I was storing them in smelled. Now I have to put my nose down close to the jar to smell it at all and it smells like dough to me. As I understand it, there is no harm in washing your culture beyond the delay in using it. You can always post a photo of the culture to let others help.