Author Topic: Chimney Experts - Opinions Wanted  (Read 609 times)

Offline Pizzaddict

Chimney Experts - Opinions Wanted
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
I'm very excited to finally start installing my FGM 950c later this week!  I have read everything I can on the forum and I really appreciate the great threads filled with info that will be very helpful for my project.

Having said that, I'm still trying to fine tune some details with the flue pipe for my chimney and I'm soliciting advice.  Antoine (at breadstoneovens.com) has been very helpful, but I'm curious to hear from others.

The FGM ovens are built in France, so the specifications are in metric units.  The oven has a "flue connector" that is mounted to the top of the oven and it has a built in damper. Antoine provided a FGM "flue adapter" that fits over (outside) the "flue connector."  The "flue adapter" top opening is 200mm and is the closest adapter available for installing 8" flue pipe.

When I showed my contractor the "flue adapter," he was concerned that it fit "outside" the "flue connector."  This leaves a small gap between the "flue connector" and the "flue adapter" that he said would allow moisture (and perhaps creosote) on the inside of the pipe to escape the pipe and into the enclosure that will surround my oven.  He said that each successive piece of the flue should fit "inside" the piece below it as you build the pipe from bottom to top.  This keeps any moisture/creosote inside the pipe (or worst case, the oven) and prevents it from escaping the pipe into the enclosure.

DAP makes a "Stove and Fireplace" high temp mortar that comes in a tube.  It is rated to 2000 degrees.  So far, that seems to be my best bet to seal the gap between the "flue adapter" and "flue connector."

I'm using the flue pipe manufacturer's recommended chimney cap, so it will keep most moisture out, but I'm certain, not all.

So....is there any reason for concern?  Perhaps the gap is really no big deal.  If it is a potential issue, would the DAP Stove and Fireplace mortar be the best product to seal the gap?

Lastly, I'm considering a "shroud" to hide the chimney cap.  Does a shroud affect the chimney draw?

Thanks for any and all input!

edit: I just noticed that today is my 7 year anniversary since registering on this site!!!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:01:33 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Chimney Experts - Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
The DAP product should work just fine.

Offline Pizzaddict

Re: Chimney Experts - Opinions Wanted
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
The DAP product should work just fine.