Author Topic: Freezing All Thrumps 50111 Flour  (Read 707 times)

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
Freezing All Thrumps 50111 Flour
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Hi,

I am wondering if freezing All Trumps 50111 flour for a few weeks results in any damage/ clumping of the flour?

I am asking this because i have excess space in my freezer shipping container hence was thinking of shipping a pallet or two of All Trumps flour in this container also to save costs.

The container is set at -4 F and the flour will be in there for about 3 weeks in the 50 Lb bags and I am planning on wrapping the bags in plastic bags.

Thanks for the help!

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
Re: Freezing All Thrumps 50111 Flour
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
In general freezing flour is just fine.

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
Another pizzeria friend of mine suspected that cold will cause clumping, moisture and bugs.. any thoughts on that?

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
I don't see how it could cause bugs, it should actually prevent them. I have never put just the bags in the freezer, so I guess it could run a risk of clumping. I've only put container. I'd just try it if I were you. Put a 5 lb bag in there.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:24 AM »
Mark, freezing flour is fine.  I'm curious as to why you might buy be purchasing All Trumps, though. Are you not planning on utilizing local flour?  Are you going to keep importing All Trumps from the U.S.? Have you researched the cost of having all your flour shipped this far, and, is it cost effective?  Are you able to ship it in small enough quantities to ensure that you're using it while it's still fresh?

Doesn't South Africa have any bread/high gluten flour options?

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »
I want to use All Trumps 50111 as it is used in a number of the popular pizzeria's in NYC and I plan to stick to the typical NY style formula - All Trumps, Grande, Baker's Pride, Hobart, etc.

I can get get Caputo flour there however it actually still comes out similar or more expensive than All Trumps after importing costs are added and i would prefer to use All Trumps (not trying to make gourmet Italian pizza, its already available there).

With regards to local flour in SA, the local brands are not engineered for pizza specifically like some of the Caputo, All Trumps, etc. brands.

In addition, I want to create an authentic NY style experience and part of that is being able to tell people that all my ingredients and equipment comes from NY.

Do you think that i need to wrap the All Trumps bags in plastic or they will be ok frozen as is in the pallets/ paper bags?
And how would you go about defrosting the flour and cheese?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »
Has anyone tried shipping flour frozen yet??

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
FYI - I spoke to General Mills food expert and she thinks shipping the flour frozen will be fine.

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
I want to use All Trumps 50111 as it is used in a number of the popular pizzeria's in NYC.

This is not necessarily true.  DiFara's uses All Trumps and Caputo in a blend, but other then them, I know of no other 'popular' slice place that uses All Trumps.  Joe's doesn't.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
This is not necessarily true. I know of no other 'popular' slice place that uses All Trumps. 

Scott,

I am not too sure about what you posted that not many popular pizzas businesses in NYC don't use All Trumps.  Joe Kelley the rep for General Mills told me that All Trumps is the most popular flour for NY style pizzas in NYC.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
Joe's on 14 st and in the village uses All Trumps 50111 as does Artichoke.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »
Mark,

If you are interested different members from here on the forum went to Joe's pizza and other pizza places in NYC at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17070.0.html  You can see some comments about Joe's pizza on that thread.  I also visited Joe's on this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.msg117621.html#msg117621 and you can see the comments and photos of Joe's pizza on that thread.

When the members and I went to New Park pizza and other pizzerias in Brooklyn you can read though that thread if you are interested and see the photos of New Park pizza and what the comments were about New Park pizza.  I started my photos of New Park at Reply 252 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17885.msg175832.html#msg175832  New Park did use All Trumps back then for their pizzas.  It was just a short walk to the dumpster to throw trash in there.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!