Author Topic: Will freezing a Baker's Pride oven damage it?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
Will freezing a Baker's Pride oven damage it?
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
I am wondering if freezing a bakers Pride double deck 4 pie oven (gas DS805) will damage the oven?

The reason I am thinking of doing this is because I have excess space in my freezer shipping container shipping my cheese etc. (shipping via sea at 4 F).

Thanks for the help!

scott123

Re: Will freezing a Baker's Pride oven damage it?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:38 AM »
Mark, have you purchased this oven yet?  It sounds a lot like you're selling NY style pizza (All Trumps, Hobart).  It depends on what kind of NY style pizza you plan on selling, but, as far as ovens go, this runs a little on the weak side.  If you're running a high volume operation and/or seeking fast-ish bake times, I'm not sure this is the oven for you.

Also, you're freezing your cheese?  You'll find different opinions on freezing cheese in the forum.  I think most of the opinions, though, will be based on freezing cheese in a home freezer. Freezing cheese in bulk is a much sketchier proposal, imo, because the slower the cheese freezes, the more damage occurs. Depending on how quickly you plan on using it once you get it to South Africa, I think refrigeration will be a lot kinder to your cheese.

Will you be continuing to import cheese from the U.S.?  Quite a few American pizzerias import Italian cheeses (such as Bufala), but there's an extensive delivery network in place to ensure the cheese makes it to the customer as fresh as possible, and there are customers willing to pay a premium for it. Are you able to continue to import American cheese in a timely fashion at a price that's cost effective?  Does South Africa not have local mozzarella or milk that can be made into mozzarella?

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
Thanks Scott.

Yes, I am doing typical volume NY style pizza there. What oven do you recommend, Y600?

Using local suppliers would compromise my quality and not result in true NY style pizza.

Offline Mark_Stuart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
FYI - I spoke to Baker's Pride technical support and he thought that shipping the oven in a freezer container would be ok, but to watch transporting the stones as they might become brittle when extremely cold. The safety valve might also be an issue.

scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
Mark, I recommend the Marsal MB60.

The end segment (36:55 on) of this video shows how the Marsal is made

and, more importantly, it shows the quality of pizza it can make compared to the pizza that comes out of the kind of oven you're presently considering purchasing.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
And, FYI, that Marsal pie, when side by side with the Baker's Pride analog pie, while loaded with character/great oven spring/a little bit of char, is still very much a portable NY style slice.  You can hold that with one hand and, if need be, walk around with it just fine.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »
Scott those pizzas coming out didn't blow me away.

scott123

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
Scott those pizzas coming out didn't blow me away.

Jeff, Chef Bruno is one part lovable old guy and one part so stereotypically Italian American that it borders on being offensive.  When he starts singing 'O sole mio, it's really hard not to cringe. He's way more of an eccentric mascot than a conscientious pizza maker. He can make good pizza, but I wouldn't rank him anywhere near the best.

His pies are far from perfect, but they are definitely good enough to showcase what the Marsals can do as well as the superior results that can be achieved with them. The olive/mushroom pie is a good example of how the mb stacks up against BP analogs, but it's the cheese pie (below) where the oven shines a bit more. Again, not perfect, but compared to what's presently available in the NY area, it's pretty amazing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:01:02 PM by scott123 »