Author Topic: Pizza history ( USA)  (Read 943 times)

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza history ( USA)
« on: February 11, 2006, 10:55:56 AM »
I was reading an old magazine article on pizza and came across an interesting tidbit on the historical begginning of pizza in the US - The Colliers Magazine (March 7, 1953) early article on pizza states " Pizza crossed the Atlantic with Italian immigrants in the latter part of the nineteenth century. Probably the first pizzeria in America was at 53 1/2 Spring Street, NYC about 1895." It was later bought in 1905 and became Lombardi's. Interesting history - wonder if they are still in business anywhere ?

They also gave a dough recipe for do it yourselfers when pizza making was in it's infancy and becoming popular in the US:

Sifted Flour - 4 2/3 Cups
Leaf Lard - 2 TBL
Salt  - 1/4 tsp
pepper - 1/4 tsp
yeast 1 1/4 envelopes
Warm Water 1 1/8  Cups
I haven't tried this and I would guess that most of the modern recipes are better.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: Pizza history ( USA)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 01:05:12 PM »
Leaf Lard...  Ok...  I just HAD to look it up. 

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza history ( USA)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 10:11:41 PM »
Leaf Lard...  Ok...  I just HAD to look it up. 

Actually, true leaf lard is made only with the fat surrounding the kidneys. It's the highest grade of lard, and is highly prized by professional chefs and bakers for its flavor, high smoke point, and baking characteristics; so much so that the food services industry uses around 95% of the leaf lard produced in the US annually.