Author Topic: My Chicago to Me!!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
My Chicago to Me!!
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
This pizza was done in Ryans measurements and workflow with a bit more general measurements and material that worked for me. And boy was it good!! It was really good. My substitutions were KAAPF and Vegetable oil instead of corn and I used SAF red bag instant yeast. The topping were New York Style Sausage Company Hot Italian Sausage Rolls and Jimmy Dean Premium Sage Sausage mixed with chopped fennel and soaked in maple syrup. Then was Raw Spinach and Sliced thin red onion, Minced Garlic and chopped Peppercorn in the Private Selection San Marzano Style Plum Tomatoes that I quick processed and a bit of italian seasoning mixed in the sauce. I cooked it in my Breville Oven at 450 for 28 mins. It could have used another 5 or so mins but it was good flavor wise crust and all just how it was. All I could do is chicago style till my blackstone comes or my bread proofing baskets arrive and my detroit style pans get here but till then. BTB!! Your formula of dough is at rest in the fridge my friend I hope you'll be here for the reply  ;D

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Chicago to Me!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
Oh and forgot. Im not sure how much of a sin it is to use chedder on a DD, but about 4 ounces mozz and 3 ounces ched worked for me :-D. Also the 9inch pan from pizzacraft  doesn't have a 90 degree wall/edge to it so the crust isn't straight up like I would've liked but it still came out okay. Anyways heres a pic of the breville at work and the slanted pan. And at the bottom of my new members forum is a pic from a personal or small pie if I remember right from Lou Malnatis, South Loop, Chicago.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:12:34 PM by Markus M. »

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »
Recently I tried the BTB formulation of a Malnati Style DD with Semolina. For the dough I rounded either up or down as my scale only measures whole grams (wish I had one more accurate as BTBs). But it all worked out as this pie was amazing. My dough came out a bit heavier in weight than BTBs did, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was to stretch the dough up the sides of slanted pan that I'm using. The crust on this formulation was just a tad thicker than the one on Ryans but with the added semolina it really added to the complexity of this pie. IM A FAN!! :) The dough was sweet almost and had a good crisp. My toppings were all the same for both Ryans and BTBs versions minus the spinach and chopped fennel(used whole and now prefer it)(oh! and parmesan) on BTBs . Due to the mixed opinions on of me, family and friends, Its hard to say which one of these pies came out on top. I think they are both great, from the thin crisp and flavor of Ryans or the buttery hard to put your finger on BTBs. I think its all a matter of opinion. But they are both great! (Gobbled up for I could take a pic of innards). I really like to thank BTB for such good template to start with on this pie making thing, It'll be hard if not impossible to beat. PS: Could someone give me good wat to strain more water out of my tomatoes? They are responsible for that watery goodness on top of my pies.  And now the pics:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:22:51 PM by Markus M. »

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
Just purchased this 6''x2'' inch pan by fat daddios. Apparently its Natural Silver Anodizing process provides superior baking results. And due to the efficiencies in how this bakeware performed they suggest you reduce all your recipes by 25 degrees....I find this excessive really but well see. Im hoping that if this is true I can get an even better crust with my chicago pies in the same time, or that I can do lower temps for every saving with still good results. Im hoping that it seals well for the cooking spray or oil to not leak thru. Has anyone tried this pan before? Or any opinions?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
Markus,
 Yes, it looks like you have a bit much water going on there but not too bad, nice work there.
This is what most folks use to drain the tomatoes...you can get them practically bone dry with this if one wanted; but usually around 10 min is about right.  http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-KRONA-Stainless-Steel-Strainer/dp/B00004RDE1/?tag=pizzamaking-20
I hope you really will try corn oil instead of the veg. oil you used.....you will be surprised at much better flavor.

The pan: I use an anodized aluminum pan also and believe these are the best for DD pies. Mine is black though but don't think that really matters....these cook very evenly. Like everything; you will find the correct heat and bake time for your situation as all ovens do vary. I like the idea of a 6in. pan to train on...I think that helps to encourage more frequent trials.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the recommendation and the link on amazon for the strainer, Order In, Done and did! I tried also using corn oil instead oil vegetable oil too, and your right, the flavor was a bit better but the edges browned a bit too much, have you or anyone else had this happen? Also the 6 inch pans cook great! Ive read something here I think it was about using darker pans for a bit more color on the crust or something like that (don't quote me), but honestly the crust color concerns me less than crust taste.

As for the pie,
After a bunch of head scratching!, eyebrow squinting!, lying calculator throwing!, 15 ta twenty minute never getting back moments of my....day >:(! I figured it all out,,,,I think  :D Ive been using both the previous recipes and changing things up to my liking on both. But really still I can't figure which one I prefer best. I do each one a bit different each time but I know surely for now I prefer less semolina in each. Around 10 or 12 percent. I also learned that getting the dough to stick up to the side of pan works better if I crimp them up, let them proof for 10mins, then crimp again till I get them to stick to where I want. The downside is, during this time (20-30mins or so), the dough is proofing and the result is a bit thicker than Id like. So currently this is where and what I'm working at. And this 6inch pan Im liking a lot, it allows me to find the right balance of ingredients and if I mess up it least its not a whole 9inch pie. And the pop out bottom is fantastic. Theres no drip of oils thru or anything and the pie comes out as easy as it looks! I'll be getting more of these.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:05:13 PM by Markus M. »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
C'mon Markus....lets cut in to one of those bad boys so we can have a look!  :drool:
You're doing very well here with this style and I'm glad you're enjoying it.  :chef:
If the top is browning a little too much for your liking just use the 'ol tin foil trick. Place a piece of aluminum foil shiny side up on top of the pizza for last 10 min of bake...lots of folks do this.  ;)

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
Bob,

Sorry for not having side shots of the previous pies big guy , and even more sorry for the one your going to see below!! I forgot to use that tin foil trick you recommended me :'(

And to pies!!, The first one is a 9'' pie with the norm,.. sausage, red onion, cheese, spinach, and San Marzano. Still using that pan with the slanted sides though, and still a great pizza!
The second pie is in my 6'' pan, with just cheese, spinach, and burnt to $#!T Vermont Smoked Pepperoni >:(. Yuk, this pie reconfirmed, Me Man Me Eat MEAT! I don't really think a pie of this kind really suits to veggies and cheese very well. But thats just my opinion, maybe I could try a blend of more things next time, but on someone else's finance. All in all though, a good pie day! :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:46:21 PM by Markus M. »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
Really good job Markus...you are doing many right things here and it shows. :chef:
Topping laden yet no water river flowing after the cut, nice. Crust looks great...all around nice pies man, you done great.

Yeah, that VT pepperoni is a 'lil pricey tp be flamin'...bet you remember the foil next time!  ;D
I believe in what you say about this style not being all too conducive to a bunch of toppings. My all time favorites are just sausage or sausage and mushrooms. Are you able to get Premio brand sausage there at Walmart Markus?

Keep up the great pizza making and having fun dude.   8)

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for that! :-D you bet Ill remember that foil next time! And about the brand sausage, is that a recommendation? If so, which kind? Ill be sure to check out next time I visit, Ive probably walked across it a bunch of times, or not. But Ill keep eyes out for it next time.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for that! :-D you bet Ill remember that foil next time! And about the brand sausage, is that a recommendation? If so, which kind? Ill be sure to check out next time I visit, Ive probably walked across it a bunch of times, or not. But Ill keep eyes out for it next time.
Here ya go Markus. You want their "mild" version.  :chef:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23471.0.html