Author Topic: I guess good help is hard to find..........  (Read 876 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
I guess good help is hard to find..........
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »
Over the past year I have had 8 job offers in 3 states to run pizzerias/bakeries/be a partner with no money down that came about via the retail/wholesale bakery/pizzeria I created to teach high school special needs students entry level job skills.  The more I talked with the owners the more plain it became that making old school NYC/NJ pizzas and traditional baked goods/breads is a dying thing(it is more alive with people here than in most pizzerias/bakeries) outside the major food centers.   At 4 of the places that offered me work I would be pretty much in charge to run it my way and be paid close to what I get currently as a teacher.   I told all that if the school climate goes south on my bakery/pizzeria I will contact them.  I also said that I would need to hire some of my former developmentally delayed students.   All agreed.  1 of the jobs offers was from one of the biggest high end in house food services(colleges major corporations) that stress organic, artisan, local products in production, and I would have deck ovens, and a wood fired oven.  With so many pizzerias/bakeries going to quick/cheap ingredients/no skill needed to make the products, it is a good time for a guy that learned pizzas/bakery life as a kid via his Italian mothers family in the Newark NJ area in the 60-70's.  Walter

I think we are on the verge or a revivial of good food.  All these cooking shows are getting people reinterested in eating good stuff.  Local millers, cheese makers, organic now in walmart..........  Exciting times for sure!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:08:12 PM by waltertore »

Offline derricktung

Re: I guess good help is hard to find..........
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
I don't think it's good help is hard to find.. I think you've got years of experience teaching and working in the field, so people are eager to work with you.  ;)  Don't do yourself a disservice.  You've built a good reputation for people to want to work with you!

That last job focused on organic/local products sounds like a dream... how did you come across such great offers?

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
I don't think it's good help is hard to find.. I think you've got years of experience teaching and working in the field, so people are eager to work with you.  ;)  Don't do yourself a disservice.  You've built a good reputation for people to want to work with you!

That last job focused on organic/local products sounds like a dream... how did you come across such great offers?

Thanks for the compliment derrick.  I think what is happening is people are wanting more organic/locally made/old school with real ingredients stuff and there is not many people around that know how to do it.  The trend has gone so far to the pizza hut/panera bread model that young people haven't had the opportunity to stumble onto the old way.  They have to go to culinary schools but not a lot of them stress baked goods/breads/pizzas/bagels.  I am glad to be doing what I do because it has attracted several people wanting to start artisan bread ventures including a couple of young people that want to open bagel businesses and employ disabled people in their operation.  I teach these people for free.  They come with youtube/book  knowledge but never have been in a working situation with quality goods.  So they don't know much about the little details that these mediums can't teach.  These are the things that make a product stand out.  Another hole in their youtube education is the ins and outs of making larger quantities than homemakers typically do and running the equipment to do this. 

These offers all came via the bakery I run at the high school. Yes that last job I mentioned sounds like a good one.  A few weeks ago I secured a contract to supply them with our breads/bagels/and some baked goods.  I had my top student, kind of a dough savant, make them some pizzas and breads.   That is how that job offer came.  They are connecting me with a local mill for certain flours they would like in the breads and they have blueberry farms that will supply us with them for our bagels.   I hope my job as a high school teacher continues.  Unfortunately our state and federal lawmakers are pushing for academics for all school age kids.  Even though my students have been reading/writing doing math at the 2-3rd grade levels for their entire school career the push is to give them more of this instead of the skills needed to do entry level, repetitive, manual work. This is an area where they excel and love doing it.  My students have almost a 100% unemployment rate as adults but this summer I have 3 of 9 working in local food places.  If someone can show me where the academic based jobs are that require a 2-3rd grade level ability I will hang up the apron and grab the 2-3rd grade level textbooks.  I think we are the only program in the country doing what we do.  So my days may be numbered.............  I love working with these kids and also the regular education students that wander our way because school doesn't work for them.  Most of these kids never graduate but end up volunteering in my room and at least learn something they can use in this world.  Anyway, for now all is good.  Our school district is stocked full of creative thinkers on the administrative level and they are behind my program but federal and state laws they cannot change.  Anyway, it is comforting to know there is a resurgence going on in our culture outside the big food centers with how we grow, prepare, and buy food.   Walter

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:43:03 AM by waltertore »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
Walt

GOOD HELP.....without a DOUBT....is the hardest thing about this business...........FAR, FAR AHEAD.......

Trying to get to know you.....

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
I agree good help is hard to find. I am trying to replace my prep guy right now who just had to move out of state. It sucks. But what I pay kinda sucks, so I know its on me.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:57:43 PM »
Jeff.....As long as what you pay is in the ball park..........its on THEM........check out my first point.....restaurant work doesn't call for a degree.....or special skills (especially in prep) it requires a strong back, determination and a longing to progress.........its a tough business.......I understand....it took me a long time to stop trying to make all my employees financial lives MY responsibility..........I now provide a VEHICLE to get there.......

pizzapan