Author Topic: My yeast rules Me  (Read 754 times)

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
My yeast rules Me
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
Hey all! Today I started my home grown levain from 500 grams KAWW and 500 grams H20 that I plan on feeding sometime between 9-12 each morning for about a week or till day  5 (I think) as instructed by the greatly written IMO, FLOUR WATER SALT YEAST by Kens of Kens Artisan, till I switch flours and the levain is good to go. (good read by the way) Although Ive started this today and plan on threading everyday of my progress. I really would like to know how many people have tried this on there own with this style and what may be the differences in doing it this way compared to the beloved Ischia? If anything I will try this out till I order the ischia. But Im curious to know because of Im learning growing a starter isn't necessarily cheap especially if I can do better somewhat easier. Anyways! Im also confused on do I purchase the ischia from from culturesforhealth or the sourdo website. I find the sourdo website isn't good with the specifics. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as Im new and a bit lost but determined to get this right. Thanks! Here are the pics day one 10 hours ferment mixed at 90 degrees.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:40:53 PM by Markus M. »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: My yeast rules Me
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »
Markus

I didn't use the same flour as you are, but I did some experimenting with natural starters.  Toby and other members helped me with that thread if you are interested in reading it.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10008.msg87117.html#msg87117 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
Markus, get the Ischia from Sourdo.  You'll have no problem activating it. If you have any questions, the forum will be more than able to answer them, but I highly doubt you'll have any questions regarding activation.

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
This is what it looks like at 10am the next morning before feeding. Slightly bubbly and kinda stinks 07/09/13

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
This is what it looks like after feeding. Took out 3/4 levain and added 500 grams whole wheat flour and 500 grams 90 degree water. 07/09/13
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:57:32 PM by Markus M. »

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the welcome to the form and that was a great thread by the way! Thank you for that bit of info, I had to lol when I seen how far you took the experimentation with this because If a had the space and money I could see me doing similar. But nothing compared lol it was great! By the way, are you still baby sitting all those cultures and if so which have you liked best?

Scott,

Forgot to thank you for the welcome to forum, and for the reply. Ischia from Sourdo is on the way!

Now for today. It seems as if my levain has rose and then fell at some point since yesterdays feeding as if you look closely. You can see the line to which it had rose to, and where currently before feeding it was at. Also it had a slightly funky sour smell to it (progress I hope) These pics are at around 10am or so this morning before the second feeding. 07/10/13

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
This are photos after feeding, 500 grams wwf and 500 grams 90 degree water. 07/10/13

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »

Norma,

I had to lol when I seen how far you took the experimentation with this because If a had the space and money I could see me doing similar. But nothing compared lol it was great! By the way, are you still baby sitting all those cultures and if so which have you liked best?

Markus,

I take everything a little too far with experiments, but that is just me.   :-D  I am not babysitting any of the natural starters anymore.  I like the Ischia starter that you are soon going to get much better because it is predictable and many members here on the forum do use it. 

If your natural starter is smelling too much you might want to add a little pineapple juice. 

Norma

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »
Norma,

Thanks Norma, Ironically I just opened up some fresh pineapple juice yesterday, I remember on that thread talks about using fruits and such. I'll push on to see what happens in the next few days, hopefully it'll all go well.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »
Norma,

Ironically I just opened up some fresh pineapple juice yesterday, I remember on that thread talks about using fruits and such. I'll push on to see what happens in the next few days, hopefully it'll all go well.

Markus,

I hope your starter develops well.

Norma