Author Topic: Freezing Curd?????  (Read 618 times)

Offline Jackitup

Freezing Curd?????
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
I'm going to buy some mozz curd tomorrow at RD and was wondering this. Would it be best to make all the mozzarella first and then freeze or has anyone frozen the curd as is and noticed any quality difference mixing up curd that was frozen and thawed. I've froze other mozzarellas before with little noticable loss in quality but not much experience with the fresh curd.

thanks
jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Freezing Curd?????
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
Good morning, Jon.

Years ago I had the same question about freezing curd. I am not able to find curd that often, so when I do, I will buy 10-15 pounds. I then cut the curd into 1 pound blocks, double wrap in cling wrap, and freeze the curd. This works well, but it is best to take the curd you are going to use out of the freezer the day before you wish to use it and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight rather than allow it to thaw at room temperature. This was suggested by a mozzarella cheese maker from NY. 

It is possible that you may lose just a bit of creaminess in the end product when using previously frozen curd. I am not certain this is the case, and my family and friends have never noticed any difference. It may be that fresh is always better, but it is sometimes impractical.

Good luck,

Jim

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
Jim,
Thank you. I finally got home and had a chance to read thru some of the other threads too, including Chau's video and responses. I had a few minutes last nite to post the question looking for a quick answer and then got my ass kicked in the ICU by a 5.5kg kid that thankfully is doing much better now. !2 hours and 15 minutes to post and run! Was supposed to be a slow nite, not so much ??? Got 20# of Bel Gioioso curd at 2.89/#. Looking forward to trying my first date with using fresh curd!!

jon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
Jon, the way I've handled 20# of curd is to divide it into 5, 4# blocks or 4/ 5# blocks.  I vacuum seal all but one and keep the rest in the fridge 35-40F.   I make mozzarella every few days until it is gone, wrapping and freezing the cheese.  The reason why I do this is to gain as much practice out of the 20lbs as possible.  You may likely find preferences to certain techniques or want to modify  the generally method.   I find that with each session, I am learning and adapting as I go along. 

I have not tried to freeze the curd but I don't see why you couldn't.  I would vacuum seal it as well if I were to freeze curd.  Good luck. 

Chau

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »
Chau,
Couple more questions. In one of the videos I watched, that big fella suggested after wrapping to keep at room temp for 24-48 hours to develop flavor, your thoughts on this and as far as the brine, how long do you do it for? I think I remember the guy saying 15-20 minutes. Is that long enough to get enough salt in the cheese to flavor it enough or is it better to add some to the hot pulling liquid.

thanks,

jon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
I don't know if the cheese develops added flavor at room temps.   ???  The way I see it, is that the cheese is best eaten fresh at room temps and will keep at room temps for 24 hours.  If you can't consume it within 24 hours wrap it, vacuum seal and into the freezer.   Sticking it in the fridge seems to just make it stiffer and loose some of the creaminess.   I have been told by member bobino, that once the cheese is thawed you can nuke it for just a few seconds to soften it up and the creaminess will be apparent again.  But that's for eating the cheese plain.  If you are to use it on pizza, I just thaw it in the fridge and then at room temps. 

I've read that the old school guys make the mozz without adding salt to the water and dunk it in the brine prior to selling it.  I don't think the brine gives it sufficient flavor, so I prefer to add salt into the cheese myself.  You might try it both ways and see what you like.

Chau