Author Topic: no flavor in my dough  (Read 630 times)

Offline Chet

no flavor in my dough
« on: July 07, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
 I made about 6-7 deep dish pizza over the last year, today's was a different recipe and the dough was bland of the other 2 recipes I have, not sure why it was bland and no flavor, can it be today's recipe was all canola oil and the other are a combination of olive , vegetable and melted butter, this dough was made approx 6 hrs before baking and punched down twice. I did the same procedure with the dough with the 3 different fats
my recipe today came from Emeril Lagasse which is about the same as the DMK recipe

1 1/2 cups water (I used room temp water)
2 1/4 tsp IDY
3 1/2 Cups flour (AP)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

thanks
     Chet

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: no flavor in my dough
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
I have made them all..I have to agree I cannot tell extreme difference in flavor...To me it is the toppings and sauce. I do like a crispy crust and most of the deep dish formulas if baked properly will get crispy. I watched a TV show the other night that raved about a pizza crust from Dove ViVi in Portland. I tried on line to find a good recipe but the only one I found I think had way to much oil, the crust uses a large volume of corn meal...I am going to try my BTB formula using a large portion of cornmeal vs semolina and see what happens....most of the comments on deep dish rave about the flavor of their formula...I just have not noticed a remarkable flavor profile and I have been doing this for years...best so far is with semolina and with some butter....let me know what you learn...good question on flavor//could it be a bunch of salt?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
Cornmeal is a no-no, if authenticity is a concern.  But as for flavor--your main concern--a same-day dough will always be bland compared to a long, slow, cold ferment.  Canola is particularly bland, too.  I use corn oil (or oil blends) for various Chicago doughs.  But really, canola plus same-day dough equals bland city.

Edit: I guess I should add that a lot of people love same day dough by blowing out the yeast amounts and going for that super yeasty profile.  Warm, fast fermentation byproducts are a flavor, to be sure--just not one I like or wish to make.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:42:35 PM by Garvey »

Offline parallei

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
Take Garvey's advice.  Use corn oil.

pizzapan