Author Topic: Cheese on a Deep Dish..  (Read 4472 times)

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Cheese on a Deep Dish..
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »
Oooops  :-[  sorry man, I got so involved here I reverted/started talking about my Chi-thins!  :-D
I use whole milk and provo-baloney slices on my Deep Dish...never have an oil slick in the bottom. It can get a bit watery on you though if you got jank cheese.  :chef:

Yeah, I think the main problems most of us have with less-than-stellar mozzarella is the percentage of 'jank'.  :-D  ;D :chef: :drool: :angel:

More protein is more potential for burning, right?
Isn't that why people use clarified butter when cooking?
Both burning and stretchability can be affected by baking your pizzas too hot or too long, but there definitely is the 'jank' factor.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »
Yeah, I think the main problems most of us have with less-than-stellar mozzarella is the percentage of 'jank'.  :-D  ;D :chef: :drool: :angel:

More protein is more potential for burning, right?
Isn't that why people use clarified butter when cooking?
Both burning and stretchability can be affected by baking your pizzas too hot or too long, but there definitely is the 'jank' factor.
^^^  I really have to agree with ya on that one Ed. Long ago I had to stop buying cheese out of " Louie's Midnight Auto Parts" car trunk. Took my pizza game to the next level then man...as they say!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BBH

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »
OK, back to cheese. I'd love to have access to that Battaglia cheese, but I don't . One thing I'm a little puzzled about, why is it "part skim". Most premium mozzarellas are whole milk, part skim is always a turn off to me when considering a mozzarella purchase, it always burns while cooking. Of course, in a deep dish pie that isn't an issue since the cheese is under the sauce. ???

The quality of melt and taste for part depending greatly on the brand.  Some part is just as tasty as whole.  I use part to avoid what people might consider a "greasy" pizza.  I use 50% Part, 30% Provo and 20% whole + Parm .  Mozz is all low moisture.  I cook on a deck at 475 and have not had any burning issues with Part.  Same combinations on thins where cheese is exposed.   If it burns I would think higher temps, longer bake time or lower fat content of the part.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
The quality of melt and taste for part depending greatly on the brand.  Some part is just as tasty as whole.  I use part to avoid what people might consider a "greasy" pizza.  I use 50% Part, 30% Provo and 20% whole + Parm .  Mozz is all low moisture.  I cook on a deck at 475 and have not had any burning issues with Part.  Same combinations on thins where cheese is exposed.   If it burns I would think higher temps, longer bake time or lower fat content of the part.
That is a great post BBH.
Not sure about the "Mozz is all low moisture" but you are dead on about some lm/ps having more flavor than WM.  ;)

Offline BBH

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »
That is a great post BBH.
Not sure about the "Mozz is all low moisture" but you are dead on about some lm/ps having more flavor than WM.  ;)

Yes, mean the mozz I use is low moisture.  I did stop over at Battaglia, and they do sell that the brand you took a pic of.  I bought the Fillippo Mazzei and is was the best yet. That same combination with their "Chicago Style" provo was fantastic.  Every taster commented how good it was.  Good coloring (slight yellowing) and stretch, smooth and creamy.  Good stuff.

Offline BBH

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
Pic of the Fillippo Mazzei.  I use it for this style as well as Chicago Style.

Offline BBH

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
Another...good stuff...

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:44 PM »
that reminds me of home run Inn cheese! Your pizzas look delish what style is that?

Offline BBH

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »
Standard Pan Style in Chicago.  You won't really see too many shops actually making the "Chicago Style" sauce up top pizzas in Chicago or the burbs...

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »
i grew up in the chicago burbs, i guess i am more used to the chicago deep dish with sauce on top.  was the crust bready?  i guess that style reminds me more of a papa dels.. i guess your right though, Chicago pan, not to be confused with chi deep dish....

Offline mugwump

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 03:46:53 AM »
A friend requested an 8" personal deep dish with anchovies and olives, something he had when visiting Italy.  I happened to find a local cheese brand here in Southern California called "Sierra," straight outta Compton since the early 1950's.

It turned out to have an almost fresh mozzarella taste even though it was low moisture.  Very little sodium, not much taste to it, which complemented the salty fish and olives perfectly, creating a rich satisfying lunch meal.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share this brand for anyone searching for it, since it won't be relevant to many people in the rest of the US and world.  :D

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:11:35 AM by mugwump »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »
Seems like it's getting harder an harder to locate whole milk mozz in my area....everybody is going to just "part-skim", "low moisture" etc..

Offline onesears

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 01:08:07 AM »
I found whole milk mozz at GFS Food Service store in 6 pound block, sliced any way you want it for free, and it was only $2.25 per pound. I made 2- 12"  pies and the cheese melted nicely with good flavor!

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Cheese on a Deep Dish - Battaglia?
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
I was reading another thread where someone mentioned Battaglia brand mozzarella and I had never used it before.
Has anyone used this for deep dish?

I found one supplier in Chicago on Lawrence, just west of Western Avenue.

http://www.harvestimefoods.com/special/deli/mozzarella-cheese-battaglia

I picked up a block of Battaglia mozzarella from Harvestime last week. I talked them into a little discount for the 6+ lb block they sold me, but even after their one-time discount it was still a little on the pricy side. The manager said the size of the blocks varies and he thought that Battaglia gets their cheese some another supplier and just puts their own label on it (he seemed to think a lot of companies do that). I don't know whether that info is accurate and he wouldn't mention who that supplier might be.

Anyway, my first impressions of the low-moisture part skim Battaglia cheese was that it was semi-stretchy, but not 'lift up a slice into the air' stretchy; 
the other thing I noticed was that this cheese needed more salt.

I'm basing the salt comment on my past experience with the 5 lb block of Baker's & Chefs (aka Stella), which tasted great right off the block.
The plus side of a less-salty mozz is that you can use more salty ingredients in your deep dish if you're using this cheese.
Whether that means piling on the meats, or kicking up the salt and spice in your tomatoes, you will have options.

Overall, not a bad mozzarella, and it will make decent deep dish (which is good because I still have 5 pounds left),
 but I probably won't buy it again.
I don't think the Chicago deep dish establishments are using Battaglia.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:25:04 PM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/