Author Topic: DIY mixer?  (Read 961 times)

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
DIY mixer?
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
Howdy. I come to you today in search to find the answer to a DIY mixer. I need to mix 25 pounds of flour with water and such and the mixers for this are too expensive. Any way to make a cheap mixer?
Dough, stretch, sauce, cheese; check.

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
Re: DIY mixer?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »
It's official, I need to find a way to combine 25 pounds of flour, water, salt, and sugar without using a machine. Any possible way? Any way at all? :l

Offline parallei

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
 Auralnauts,

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but if you have no mixer, you could do it by hand.  I'd break it down into smaller increments like 10 lbs or something. 

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
if you are willing to mix by hand something like this would work

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19215.msg191846.html#msg191846

Offline derricktung

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
Hmm... Perhaps a large bucket from a store like Home Depot or Lowes? 

And then you could use a slow speed drill mixer used for concrete/paint...

http://advance-equipment.com/Advance-Easy-Mixer-Drywall-Mixers.php

You could use the drill to start with, but as the dough thickens, you'll likely have to switch to hand.  (Or just do it via hand from the start).

I would suggest checking the material of the bucket and mixing drill bit to ensure that it's safe for food.  Also, make sure your drill is clean and won't drop anything into the dough.

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
How do you use a dough trough though? I googled it but didn't get a direct answer.

Edit: I got it. I might have to go with the trough but before will ask around to see if any friends are willing to lend me their machines. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:05:43 PM by Auralnauts »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »
You didn't say what you are making.   If you wanted to make Baguettes de Tradition from Hamelman's Bread book,  I think you can do that by hand without a machine without much trouble - though you might break it into a few batches.  Here is a link to a video of Hamelman making baguettes de tradition.http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2013/04/30/no-knead-chewy-sandwich-rolls-one-good-turn-deserves-another/   In the recipe at the bottom of the page they have added olive oil and dry milk to make a softer bread.  At the very bottom of the page they tell you to delete the olive oil and dry milk, and increase the water if you want to make baguettes.  Also, while the blog page talks about lifting the dough over onto itself 30 times,  I made the baguettes and did a very simple letter fold and then tucked the ends over, and just did that 3 times, spaced 20 minutes apart, and the dough came out fine.

pizzapan