Author Topic: Some Pizzas From My Prototype "Alternative" Style Oven  (Read 2073 times)

Offline shuboyje

Some Pizzas From My Prototype "Alternative" Style Oven
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
Now that I've made mention of it on the open forum a couple times I've decided it's time to talk a little bit about an oven I've been working on for the last year. 

I really felt there was a need to bring Neapolitan style pizza and bake times to more home pizza makers, and I felt confident I could design an oven to do just that.  Some people don't want a wood fired oven, some can't afford one, some rent, some don't have the space, some live in apartments.  There are lots of reasons.  As a result I've designed an oven that is accessible to the majority of people with very near wood oven results.  I am not ready to disclose the oven design at this point in time, but will describe it's function and requirements. 

This oven requires only two things to function, a gas stove top and a standard 120V electrical outlet.  I tried to make it work on all stove types, but in the end all stoves are not created equal for this purpose and gas is needed.   

Operating the oven is very similar to a wood fired oven.  It heats in 10-15 minutes. You have complete control over all forms of heat, radiative, convective and conductive.  The oven is open fronted and has a stronger focus of heat on one side just like a wood oven.  All of this means you launch with a standard peel, turn the pizzas with a turning peel for an even bake, and remove them once done with the turning peel.  It is in most ways a manually operated machine that simply creates and enormous amount of heat. 

The following pizzas are 100% caputo flour, 60% hydration, 3% salt.  As with most of the trial dough I've used throughout the testing process this was basically an "emergency" dough.  From start to baking was only about 4 hours.  These pies all bakes between 40-60 seconds.  As you can see even as the ovens designer I am still learning to dial in all the different controls I have at my finger tips, but all in all I am thrilled with the results.

-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Some Pizzas From My Prototype "Alternative" Style Oven
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
I don't see an oven just some sweet looking pizzas...

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
Like I said, I'm not ready to show off the oven design at this point, but even if I was it isn't much to look it.  It is more of a proof of concept that has been hacked and slashed for a year having parts added and removed via trial and error.  Next step is a production style prototype and at that point I will probably show the oven, but wanted to show what it can do today.
-Jeff

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:19 PM »
This sounds fun. I will be following it- you're clearly a master tinkerer, & I really appreciate the populist approach.
-clay

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:52 AM »
This is really interesting. I've thought about a similar problem/ solution and will be very interested to see how similar (or not) your solution is to what I had considered. As always very interested to see what you come up with.

Offline Ali72289

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
This sounds awesome! I would suggest filing a patent and then going to kickstarter for funds for production. Pizza items tend to be very successful on the site. Good Luck

Offline gobseulmuhri

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
As a renter I cannot get access to a WFO, which stinks because neapolitan pizza is essentially my favorite food.

That's why I'm so excited for this and am really looking forward to seeing the progress! 

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
I'll be watching you! 8)
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline ohioeric

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »
MORE ! :chef:

Offline slybarman

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
My range/oven is electric. Looks like I am not a candidate.

pizzapan