Author Topic: Mobile Wood Fired Oven  (Read 3525 times)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: Mobile Wood Fired Oven
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
I think you need to put some type of refractory concrete around your bricks to make sure everything is binding together.

For the insulation you can do a mix of perlite/vermiculite mixed with Portland cement. But for a trailer build it is going to quickly add some weight.
The best are layers of ceramic fiber blanket, no less than 3" thickness.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
I personally would not consider the a brick and mortar oven then covered in refractory a modular oven.  Like I said, brick and mortar portables exist, but are the minority.  For instance I've never seen anyone using a fornoclassico mobile oven, and the only one I can find appears to be owned by them.  Even then I'm sure it is their modular oven which is exactly as you described, a brick oven encased in cast refractory.  Personally I do not think that is the right method for a beginner builder, a mobile oven, or someone look for a cheap oven.  The refractory would need to be a couple inches thick minimum to be strong enough, so the cost would be high, the weight would be high, and the mass would be high, so it would take longer to heat.  The only way to avoid that would be to build a very thin brick dome so that even with the cast outer section the oven would not be too massive, but an oven built from extra thin bricks is not something I would recommend for a first oven.

At that point you are back to using castable anyway, so might as well just cast an oven to begin with.  We'll walk you through it and help you get it done right, I promise you we have a good group here who just want to help.
-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
Yes, a unitized cast oven is your best bet for a mobile, but I say so from the standpoint of weight and thickness of the oven wall, not because it is made of individual bricks.

Offline bbqchinchilla

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
I do not know what casting is... but keep in mind I'm going for cheap, first and foremost... yes I do want a sturdy build that won't breakup while on the go, but cost is the number one issue.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
Casting is pretty simple, think concrete, just instead of Portland Cement you use Calcium Aluminum Cement, which is much better for high temperature.  Normally your Calcium Aluminum Cement would come in the form of a commercial castable refractory.  A commercial castable refractory will have the calcium aluminate cement, proper aggregates and special ingredients to allow moisture and steam to escape.  The cheapest one I can get locally(perfectly good to use for an oven) has a yield of 124lbs per cubic foot.  It costs $27 for a 55lb bag.  To figure cost you would need to come up with an oven design, find how many cubic feet it is, and then do the math, but that is way ahead of where we are now.  I can tell you a small low mass oven that would not be suitable for commercial use would be about 3 cubic feet.  My math says that would take 7 bags at a cost of $189 for me locally.  I personally would also add stainless needles.  They act like rebar in concrete, and work well at 2% by weight.  I'm in a big city and still couldn't source them locally, but they are easy to buy on ebay.  The example oven I mentioned would need about 10lbs.  With shipping that's $35.  So now we are at $225 for a small low mass non commercial oven, as I mentioned before for a commercial size oven I would guess you will double that.  I'm guessing that doesn't fit your budget from what you've said.  You could make your own castable refractory mix, but you would be forging your own path.  Locally I can get an 80lb. bag of Calcium Aluminate cement for $60.  If you have a source for old brick, you could use crushed brick and sand as an aggregate.  I'd bet you could cast a commercial oven for $150 if you have a source for free old brick.  It would lack the special ingredients to vent moisture and steam which would probably lead to more cracking, but the cracks would be aesthetic, all cast refractory will crack regardless. 

Take this all in and if any of it sounds like it could work for you we can help you figure out the next step.

-Jeff

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »
Hello, I've recently started gathering supplies for building my own wood fired oven, right now I've got firebricks and refractory mortar... everything else I would assume I could buy locally... but I'm not even sure the amount of materials I will even need... Is there some kind of detailed (and straightforward) guide showing how to build your own and how to mount the oven on a trailer correctly (and safely)... I have looked around without much success trying to find something that actually just spells it out clearly and plainly. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

BBQ,

Why do you want mobile? A business idea or do you just want something that will travel with you through life? Cuz if its just "cheap" that you're looking for you could even do something with stacked brick and angle iron. Just search and you'll find! 

If you really want mobile and you want to do it right, then TRUST ME: Take any and every bit of advice that shuboyje, breadstoneovens, tscarborough, and Jconk007 are Willing to offer. I have read their posts here (and elsewhere) extensively. These guys border on genius! They are a wealth of knowledge, and if you are willing to listen they will be invaluable in getting you the oven you are dreaming of! :)

John K

Offline bbqchinchilla

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 03:40:04 AM »
a business idea and for personal use of course... i think i've seen the stacked brick oven but i didn't want to look unprofessional to customers... but that would definitely be the cheapest option, so i haven't discounted it completely yet...

shuboye i'm kind of leaning towards having a red clay brick dome set with refractory mortar and insulated with the fiber blanket and concrete... is that a bad idea for mobile?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »
It's not the ideal solution, but if it is the way you decided to go there are things that can be done to give it better structural stability.  First one would be to ditch the ceramic fiber and user an insulating concrete made from perlite or vermiculite.  You could build the dome, then build the walls of a sturdy enclosure, then pour the entire enclosure full of insulating concrete.  That would lock the oven in pretty good and give you a fighting chance at a nice long life in my opinion. 

So what style of pizza do you plan on making?  Do you think 3 pizzas at a time would be sufficient?
-Jeff

Offline dineomite

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
What kind of red clay brick are you using? Just trying to save you from paying twice, but cast refactory concrete is going to be much more durable than red clay brick. Even if you had fire brick, I think it's a very dubious task to do a mobile brick oven on the cheap. Depending on the red brick you have, durability issues aside, you could end up burning a ton of wood in that thing just to get it up to temp. I can appreciate wanting to do it on the cheap, but you'll probably end up using three bags of refactory mortar just to use the brick the brick you have.

Offline MartyE

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
BBQ,

To get additional ideas of how you could build a mobile trailer, you might check out a mobile wood fired pizza operation called Fist Of Flour. They bought a trailer off of craigslist and built their own oven.

Photos of their build out
http://wheresthefist.com/wordpress/?page_id=290

Building the oven frame for the trailer
http://wheresthefist.com/wordpress/?p=168

The oven was build in the summer of 2010 and you can browse the archives of his blog to learn more.