Author Topic: Pizza too soft  (Read 738 times)

Offline Jako

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza too soft
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:55 AM »
Hi I have a pizzeria in South Africa.

The people enjoy the taste of my pizzas but I often get people that tell me that when they pick up a slice its too soft and hangs.

This is my recipe: 70g Dry Yeast, 82.5ml regular salt, 300ml olive oil, 3,25l water, 5kg bread flour 35ml salt.

I cook the pizzas in a woodfired oven and add a good amount of toppings cause that's how we like it in SA.

I'm looking for a base that's crispy on the outside, soft in the middle and able to carry the weight of the toppings. The weight of the large pizzas (30cm) dough is 310grams and is about 3-4mm.

What can I add or reduce to to achieve my desired pizza base.

Jako

Pazza Pizza

Online scott123

Re: Pizza too soft
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »
Drop the water from 65% to 60% (or possibly even lower), lower the oven temp and bake the pizza a few minutes longer. What's your deck temp/bake time now?

The crust won't be as puffy/good/artisan, but it's a concession you'll have to make in order to produce a rigid enough crust to accommodate toppings.  You're basically doing what the American chain pizzerias did in the 1970s. It's a sad thing to make McPizza in a wood fired oven, but if South Africans like lots of toppings, and you can't sell them on less toppings, then that's the crust you/they are stuck with.

Offline Jako

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Thanks Scott Ill try it.

Its not that the toppings is so heavy. I think its the dough recipe I chose that needs tweaking.

I like the way it is now but I have to listen to the customers. They want value for money (a lot of toppings) and a more crispier base.

The baking time now is about five minutes... depends on what the temp is in oven. I don't know the base temp. I go on the old method of testing the base temp by throwing flour on it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:51:16 AM by Jako »

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »
Jako, if you're going to work with a wood fired oven, an infrared thermometer is mandatory.

Even at 60% hydration, with a 5 minute bake, your pizza could still be a bit floppy.  I would shoot for a temp that gives you at least 7 minutes.