Author Topic: ratios  (Read 723 times)

Offline unclecharly

• I Love Pizza!
ratios
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
I'm needing a refresher on water to flour and yeast to flour ratios. I start with a 5lb bag of bread flour, add water, 1 pack of dry yeast, honey for the food and salt, we will be cooking in a wood fired oven. So far the dough has been tough to work without rolling, the recipe is the owners and I need to give him some hints on making it better to work.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:42:30 PM by unclecharly »

Offline mfonner

• I Love Pizza!
Re: ratios
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »
I'm surprised by no responses to your thread. I'm certainly no expert, but sounds like your dough needs time to rise properly. Are you in a pizza shop/restaurant? Springy dough generally means the glutens haven't been able to break down the structure sufficiently. Your issue may not be the recipe but your method.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: ratios
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
I'm guessing there hasn't been response because he really didn't ask a question. The ratio of water to flour and yeast to flour in pizza dough can vary widely and depend on what it is you are trying to accomplish. We'd need to know a lot more to give any meaningful advice.  A couple other thoughts on your original comment - honey will not do much other than add flavor to the dough (which some people like and others don't). The flour provides all the food the yeast need. Also, a rolling pin is not your friend. It destroys the structure developed during fermentation (rise) and results in dense, tough, bready crusts.

To help, we really need to know
- a run down of exactly what you are doing now. The full recipe and workflow - what do you do from start to finish,
- what sort of pizza you want to make, and how is what you are making now different from what you want,
- how long do you want to let it rise and at what temperature,
- what are your oven capabilities? What sort of oven, what stone stone or other baking surface, and what is the oven max temperature.
- Any problems you are having other than springy dough?

One note on mfonner's comment - gluten is the structure, not something that breaks down the structure. Generally speaking, we don't want the gluten to break down, we want it to relax.
Pizza is not bread.