Author Topic: Do you prefer using canned or fresh tomatoes?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Dieter01

Do you prefer using canned or fresh tomatoes?
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
For pizza napolitana in a WFO...

Many (most?) of the recipes here call for canned tomatoes of various kinds. Is that because you prefer the taste?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Do you prefer using canned or fresh tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
In order of preference for me:

1. Fresh
2. Fresh
3. Fresh

Last year I started placing sliced tomatoes in the dehydrator for a few hours to drive off about half of the moisture and then mashing those to make a simple sauce. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
I like to blend the 2, using 1/4 to 1/2 of the batch with fresh ripe tomatoes.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
I use the can tomatoes. I prefer Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus or using a can of SM tomatoes. I only use a fresh sliced Roma tomato when I make a White Bianco/Garlic Pizza.

TomN

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
My feeling is people used canned tomatoes because it gives more consistant results. You can make a better pizza with fresh tomatoes, but I don't think you can do it 365 days a year.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
I have to agree with jeffereynelson. There are times I like making pizza sauce and there are times I do not.  It is so easy to just open a can of Pizzaiolo and put it straight onto the pizza.  Also, Pizzaiolo is so good tasting and ready to go. The only down side is that it only comes in a #10 can, so your left with a lot of sauce to use.
TomN
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:43:39 AM by TomN »

Offline mountain adventures

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:04:08 AM »
Ive been using the Stanislaus Full Red: Pizza Sauce with Basil 6lb. 11oz. Can. A local pizza joint near me uses this same sauce and I decided to give it a try. Unbelievable how thick and rich it is. Same downside it is a #10 can size. Costs only $4.99 from pennmac.com (but $12 shipping!)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
In order of preference for me:

1. Fresh
2. Fresh
3. Fresh

Last year I started placing sliced tomatoes in the dehydrator for a few hours to drive off about half of the moisture and then mashing those to make a simple sauce.

Let me clarify that I meant fresh-off-the-vine, fully ripened. Those red plastic tomatoids from the supermarket are never put on my pizzas. If I can't get tomatoes from my garden, I will use canned tomatoes, preferably Carmelina.   

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »

Let me clarify that I meant fresh-off-the-vine, fully ripened. Those red plastic tomatoids from the supermarket are never put on my pizzas. If I can't get tomatoes from my garden, I will use canned tomatoes, preferably Carmelina.   

I always go for the homegrown or farmers market tomatoes when available.  But during the downtime I like the compari tomatoes we have here at the supermarket; They taste as good as the ones from my garden and are much better than the vine-ripened they sell.  I used the once while friends were here and they honestly thought the tomatoes were from our garden.
tom

Offline Dieter01

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:34:07 AM »
I just recently finished my WFO so I havn't had that much time to experiment yet. I do have a greenhouse though and the San Marzano's should only be a feew weeks away. I was planning on making both pizza and pasta sauce and then freezing it. I guess I will have to wait and see how long they will keep in the freezer...

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
Ive been using the Stanislaus Full Red: Pizza Sauce with Basil 6lb. 11oz. Can. A local pizza joint near me uses this same sauce and I decided to give it a try. Unbelievable how thick and rich it is. Same downside it is a #10 can size. Costs only $4.99 from pennmac.com (but $12 shipping!)

Try a can of Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus, sometime soon. I would be interested to hear what you thought of it compared to Stanislaus' Full Red Pizza sauce? Thanks.

TomN

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
I have used fresh, but I prefer canned.  The process of canning them, when done right, provides a perfect product for a pizza sauce.  You need no skin, no seeds, no jelly, and a cooking method that will not exceed 200 degrees.  While that can be done, it is exceedingly time consuming to do at home for small amounts.  Find a good canned tomato and save the fresh garden grown ones for uses that do not involve cooking, where the flavor will really shine.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
I feel that the ease, convenience and consistency of canned tomatoes far outweights the hassle of using fresh tomatoes. Put those glorious fresh tomatoes in your salad, or better yet, a BLT!

Offline pt

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
Bill, I also like the Carmelina brand the best so far.  Good flavor and very consistent from one can to the next.

TomN, I will give the Pizzaiolo a try sometime. Do you always use this product?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
Hi pt,

I have been using Pizzaiolo for the past year. I keep several cans on hand at all times. Only recently, have I been experimenting with SM Tomatoes.

My family and friends love the Pizziolo and I know many Pizzerias that use Pizzaiolo straight out of the can on their pizza. It has a really good taste and it is ready to go. I only wish that it came in a smaller size than just a #10 size can.

TomN

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »
Canned - always. Generally Cento Italian in the 35oz can.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
When available, I will always go with vine ripened, fresh sliced tomato. That's the best part of summer here in Kansas as I grow plenty of my own tomatoes. When fresh tomatoes are no longer available, I like to use use the Stanislaus 74/40 Tomato Filets (well drained and applied just as they are). The flavor and texture is fantastic in my opinion.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
Hello Tom Lehmann,

I love the Stanislaus products too. Just curious, if you were to use SM tomatoes from the can, is there a particular Brand name that you would choose over another? Thanks.

TomN

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »
I am unable to fathom how any sauce made with canned tomatoes could be better than this - cherry tomatoes, just picked from my garden, in the dehydrator for a few hours:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:34:37 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
What a great idea Bill.  What hydration are you at these days?

pizzapan