Author Topic: Dallas area Neapolitan pizzas?  (Read 852 times)

Offline derricktung

Dallas area Neapolitan pizzas?
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
In Dallas for one more day for work, and actually might have a few hours to kill before I have to be at the airport.

The places that I'm seeing with decent reviews are

Cane Rosso http://ilcanerosso.com/
Neo http://www.neopizzeria.com/menu
Dough http://www.doughpizzeria.com/Menu/Lunch.asp

Any thoughts on these three places?

Thanks in advance!

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Dallas area Neapolitan pizzas?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
6 threads down is my thread when I asked a couple weeks. Only craig replies and said Cane Rosso

Offline derricktung

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »
Thanks Jeff!  I saw that post, and was hoping to get some insight on the other two places as well if anyone here has tried them... looks like I'm off to Cane Rosso today.  =)

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »
Just as an update, Cane Rosso indeed was producing a great Neapolitan pizza.  The pizza bar is beautiful, with about four seats that get a great view of the oven and fire at work, and clear plastic/glass let's you see the dough work as they open and top.  It's definitely tight quarters, which is impressive considering they said they get through about 200-300 dough over lunch.

Their pies are huge... I asked the pizzaiolos, and they said their standard dough is 300 grams.  (I don't know if they were being honest?).  The pies were also very tasty, great ingredients, and beautiful to enjoy... I think I converted two co-workers to Neapolitan pizza, as they've never had it before...  They liked the flavorfullness of the ingredients and how light the crust was (not overly dense like they were used to with pizza).

Looking forward to going back, though I"m curious about the other pizza places on my above list... if anyone's ever tried them, please do chime in!  Would hate to waste money/time in Dallas at a bad place!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
I've been to dough in San Antonio a couple times, and it's just been OK. The last time the dough was way underfermented. The place in Dallas has gotten some good reviews, but people in Dallas probably know next to nothing about NP, so who knows. If it was me, having been to Cane Rosso, I'd give Dough a try.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline landras

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
Just as an update, Cane Rosso indeed was producing a great Neapolitan pizza.  The pizza bar is beautiful, with about four seats that get a great view of the oven and fire at work, and clear plastic/glass let's you see the dough work as they open and top.  It's definitely tight quarters, which is impressive considering they said they get through about 200-300 dough over lunch.

Their pies are huge... I asked the pizzaiolos, and they said their standard dough is 300 grams.  (I don't know if they were being honest?).  The pies were also very tasty, great ingredients, and beautiful to enjoy... I think I converted two co-workers to Neapolitan pizza, as they've never had it before...  They liked the flavorfullness of the ingredients and how light the crust was (not overly dense like they were used to with pizza).

Looking forward to going back, though I"m curious about the other pizza places on my above list... if anyone's ever tried them, please do chime in!  Would hate to waste money/time in Dallas at a bad place!

I spent an afternoon with the catering crew of cane rosso and the guys told me the dough balls are 300 grs.