Author Topic: Chile powder flakes  (Read 985 times)

Offline dhorst

Chile powder flakes
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
Well, many of you may know that I'm a devoted Aleppo chile fan.  Recently a friend of mine sent me some Turkish chile flakes--which I brought to the Texas Pizza Summit 2.  Scot and Chau seemed to really like them.  I believe they are Kimizi or Maras chiles and they usually have some salt mixed in.  Anyway, here's an interesting article regarding chiles.
http://www.foodarts.com/tools/kitchen-features/13655/pepper-powder-power

And also you can get Kirmizi, Maras and Urfa here:
http://www.kalustyans.com/catalog.asp?menucategory_id=64&category_id=215&currpage=7

I'm about to place an order.   :P

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Chile powder flakes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »
Diana, is the turkish chile flakes sold under those 3 names or are they 3 different but similar chiles?  I will place an order soon as well.  Thanks for posting this.

Chau

Offline dhorst

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Chau,

They are three different chiles.  I think that the maras may be the closest to the ones I brought.  From what I've seen, they're fruitier than the kirmizi.  I'm sure that the Urfa is not the same--more purple in color and earthier, but I do like earthy things, so what the hay, I've already placed my order for all three.

Diana
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:11:45 PM by dhorst »

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
Diana

Thanks for posting... I'm gonna get all three as well... looks intriguing.  Post some stuff that you use it for would ya?

Scot

Offline dhorst

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Wow! I ordered them yesterday afternoon and they are already here.
Diana

Thanks for posting... I'm gonna get all three as well... looks intriguing.  Post some stuff that you use it for would ya?

Scot
Off the top of my head I can see using the urfa in a mole, the maras on pizza, popcorn and grilled corn on the cob and the kirmizi on seafood.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
I would say that the maras is the same as the Turkish chile  that I brought to the Summit.  It's definitely hotter than the Aleppo and not as bright and citrusy.  There is a complexity to it.  The dark purplish Urfa is really earthy and mild.  The kirmizi has the most kick of the three, and also a finer texture.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
Thank you for posting this Diana. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:05:42 PM »
I have been using the Urfa for a long time.  They are very mild and get lost in anything strong.  My best use so far for them has been in a pink sauce for a yellow and green zucchini pasta dish.  I make my pink sauce with heavy cream, a touch of tomato paste, the Urfas, some black and white pepper, and a good parm grated in.  Thin slice the zucs, toast them in EVOO and serve over linguine with the sauce.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I have been using the Urfa for a long time.  They are very mild and get lost in anything strong.  My best use so far for them has been in a pink sauce for a yellow and green zucchini pasta dish.  I make my pink sauce with heavy cream, a touch of tomato paste, the Urfas, some black and white pepper, and a good parm grated in.  Thin slice the zucs, toast them in EVOO and serve over linguine with the sauce.

That sounds wonderful, I'll have to try that sometime.  I also found that there a slight bitterness to the Urfa that reminded me of coffee or bitter chocolate.  I'm not a sweets person, but I love putting chiles in chocolate dishes.  I make brownies with Aleppo and chipotle that are outstanding and I think I may try some of these chiles in some.  I've also been playing around with the idea of doing a mocha ice cream with some of the Urfa.