Author Topic: How's this as a location for my future brick oven?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
How's this as a location for my future brick oven?
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
I took this picture from the bedroom window of my house.  The proposed site for my oven is outlined by the PVC pipe frame on the ground (I can move it around while deciding where to put the oven).  The oven will be kiddy-corner in the back yard.  The adjacent building is my garage/wood shop.

Whaddya think?

Thanks,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: How's this as a location for my future brick oven?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:32:52 PM »
Fio,

Hard to tell from the photo, but is your oven going to be underneath a tree? If so, make sure to use a spark guard and whatever other measures are necessary to prevent it from catching fire. Also, have you decided where the opening is going to be? Very important that it is protected from the wind. 

Bill/SFNM

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
Fio,

Hard to tell from the photo, but is your oven going to be underneath a tree? If so, make sure to use a spark guard and whatever other measures are necessary to prevent it from catching fire. Also, have you decided where the opening is going to be? Very important that it is protected from the wind. 

Bill/SFNM

The oven is not directly beneath the tree, but some branches do hang over (which we're going to cut back).   I'll use spark arrestor, etc.  The opening is the side that faces the lawn.  As you can see, the oven is bounded on one side by a fence, on the other side by the garage/shop, and the third side by the house, and on the fourth (west-facing) side, it's exposed but what can I do.  I don't think that wind will be too much of a problem.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:27:49 PM »

I don't think that wind will be too much of a problem.

Maybe the wind won't be a problem for you. I live in an area that can be very windy and also, due to dry conditions, is subject to wildfires, so I am extra, extra careful. Fortunately, my oven is very well protected from the wind.

It has an exterior chimney mounted over the opening so if wind were ever to blow directly into the opening, it could flush ashes and cinders back out the opening. Also, there are times (e.g. before baking bread) when you want to remove live coals and ashes, a hazardous operation in windy conditions. If I had to do it again, I would have some kind of chute in the back or side of the oven so I could just push the ashes and coals down the chute. I have one of these on my indoor fireplace.

Bill/SFNM
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 02:29:20 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »
We usually just put a pot with some water to remove the ashes.  Something that is a about 13" in diameter and 6 inches high.   With a small oven the ash chute tends to take up some valuable cooking space.
-JP-

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:11:43 PM »
Fio,

Bill/SFNM

Since pouring the slab and starting the base, LOML and I decided to get rid of the tree behind it.  No more problems (except finding time to work on it!).

pizzapan