Author Topic: PH thin & crispy from the 70's  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
PH thin & crispy from the 70's
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
Every once in a while something triggers in me the fond memory of the t&c crust. And I can almost taste it....yeasty soda cracker ish.
Anyone have a suggestion on getting that soda flavor...I have a feeling it would need a certain flour and perhaps a poolish/preferment using very little yeast? Or, just add baking soda? I don't know.   Thanks!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: PH thin & crispy from the 70's
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »
Every once in a while something triggers in me the fond memory of the t&c crust. And I can almost taste it....yeasty soda cracker ish.
Anyone have a suggestion on getting that soda flavor...I have a feeling it would need a certain flour and perhaps a poolish/preferment using very little yeast? Or, just add baking soda? I don't know.   Thanks!  :chef:

I don't know what they used to put in there but it was good stuff!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
  That's a great idea!! Maybe that's what I am missing in my PH crackers. I found a soda cracker recipe that uses yeast and baking soda. I have made a soda cracker pizza crust in the past, but it was too light  for a pizza. By using the yeast in conjunction with baking soda, and changing the hydration a little, maybe I can get that flavor and texture we are both looking for.  I give it a try on my next cracker and let ya know.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »
  That's a great idea!! Maybe that's what I am missing in my PH crackers. I found a soda cracker recipe that uses yeast and baking soda. I have made a soda cracker pizza crust in the past, but it was too light  for a pizza. By using the yeast in conjunction with baking soda, and changing the hydration a little, maybe I can get that flavor and texture we are both looking for.  I give it a try on my next cracker and let ya know.
That's faar-out Nick, thanks!  8)
And you are the cracker guru here these days so I really look forward to when ya have a chance to take a stab at this.  :chef:

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
You might get better replies by posting this in a more relevant forum.  Just sayin'...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »
You might get better replies by posting this in a more relevant forum.  Just sayin'...
Really man...now how in the world did I manage to screw that up?  ;D
Thanks Garvey....I thought maybe people jus didn't like me anymore.  :-D

pizzapan