Author Topic: Another way to search the forum  (Read 874 times)

Online TXCraig1

Another way to search the forum
« on: November 22, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
On more than one occasion, the forum’s search feature has not been successful in finding what I needed. Sometimes searching a second time or using the advanced search works, and sometimes it doesn’t. Here is a technique that has worked for me in some of the instances when the pizzamaking.com search function failed.

Using google, add site:pizzamaking.com after your search term. For example, say you wanted to find posts at pizzamaking.com with the word nearlypolitan, you could use this search term at google, nearlypolitan site:pizzamaking.com

If you want to tell a search engine to look for a specific phrase, put it in quotations. For example, say you wanted to find posts that talk about using the old dough method of leavening. If you search simply for old dough, the search function here will return not only every post with the words old and/or dough, but also all posts with words that contain old or dough such as cold, hold, and fold. Search pizzamaking.com for old dough, and you will get almost 2000 returns – only a small fraction of which are you actually interested in.

For whatever reason, the search function here doesn’t handle searching for phrases all that well. Search for “old dough” here and it may or may not find the relevant posts, but in either case, you will need to look through 10 pages of irrelevant posts to find them. On the other hand, try it at google by entering this in the search box:  "old dough” site:pizzamaking.com   You will get only those posts that have contain the exact phrase “old dough” at the website pizzamaking.com.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Another way to search the forum
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
Have you tried the forum's built-in Google search?

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »

Bill, thanks, that's cool. Came up with the same 10 pg list either way, but no typing (site:pizzamaking.com )

Mark
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:42:04 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
I got about 2X as many results at google proper (284 v 487).
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »

I never noticed that was there.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
I never noticed that was there.

I thought it might have been added during the upgrade, but it actually dates back to 2011.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13233.msg130549.html#msg130549

For me, personally, going outside to google is a little faster, as I have it my browser search bar.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:36:50 PM by scott123 »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »
I've been running Chrome, so I just type it straight into the address bar in a new tab.
Pizza is not bread.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
Google gives you the ability to build your own search engine.  I have been using this:

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010271876254207857817:13_dfpehjyo

Here is the link for building your own:

https://www.google.com/cse/panel/basics?cx=010271876254207857817:13_dfpehjyo

I just bookmark it in my browser.  Functionally, it is identical to the site:pizza making.com that Craig has described.

- Mitch
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:53:21 PM by mitchjg »

Offline chriscar

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »
Is there a way to search for Threads Started By [username]?

C
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Is there a way to search for Threads Started By [username]?
Chris,

If there is a way of doing that, I am unaware of it.

Peter

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
If you click the Search menu item (second item in from the Home button above), you will see the advanced search options, which includes searching by member name, which at least narrows down your search to posts by them.  However, the most direct method is to click their profile and then look for the Topics link
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:01:51 PM by pz »
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
If you click the Search menu item (second item in from the Home button above), you will see the advanced search options, which includes searching by member name, which at least narrows down your search to posts by them.  However, the most direct method is to click their profile and then look for the Topics link
pz,

The second method is the one to use, and I thank you for finding how to do it. However, the first method will not yield the same results because you have to enter something in the search box. In my case, if I enter Peter in the search box, the system will find my posts. But that is only because I try always to put my name at the bottom of my posts. That way, I can use my own name as one of the search terms, along with other keywords, to find my own posts on certain subjects. If I only had a few posts I could use the Show Posts link in my profile to look for certain posts. But with over 20,000 posts, that is not an option.

Peter

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »
pz,

The second method is the one to use, and I thank you for finding how to do it. However, the first method will not yield the same results because you have to enter something in the search box. In my case, if I enter Peter in the search box, the system will find my posts. But that is only because I try always to put my name at the bottom of my posts. That way, I can use my own name as one of the search terms, along with other keywords, to find my own posts on certain subjects. If I only had a few posts I could use the Show Posts link in my profile to look for certain posts. But with over 20,000 posts, that is not an option.

Peter

You are absolutely correct, and yes, the second method is the one I would use as well when desiring to find all topics posted by a particular member.  The search method is effective only if you want to narrow down the results to a certain subset of a person's posts based on a search term.  Also as you mentioned, clicking Posts in the members profile yields anything a member has ever posted, while as you indicated, Topics yields only the posts that a member has initiated.  Wow, 20,000 posts is quite impressive! - Peter
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline chriscar

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 01:32:47 AM »
I've used the methods you folks have suggested, but not being able to search for threads started by a user is unique among probably every forum I belong to. It's too bad, really, and pretty surprising.

C
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:54:31 AM »
Chris,

I have been on this forum for over nine years, with most of that time as a Moderator where I am supposed to know just about everything that this forum offers and can do, yet I am always learning new things about the forum, either from stumbling into them or from other members.

Peter