Author Topic: My First Homemade Pizza  (Read 726 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
My First Homemade Pizza
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
Just made my first homemade Pizza and as expected it was not great  :'( ........ but better than expected.  ;D My wife liked it!!!! I thought it was just OK, except for the sausage, which I thought was right on. It was the first time I made Italian sausage and it was the one thing that made the Pizza good. I used a dough recipe that came with the mixer and had some problems with it when I tried to stretch it. It developed some holes so I tried again using a rolling pin. That fixed the hole problem but I'm pretty sure that caused the dough to be hard. The sauce was a first attempt and not bad but needs to be worked on. The cheese was pretty good and I'm pretty happy with it. I used a Traeger BBQ for cooking, because I like BBQ's and wanted some wood smoke flavoring but the BBQ wouldn't get above 400* in the cold weather we're having. That just meant I had to have it on longer ... no big deal to me. But I might go for using the house oven next time. Then I screwed up with trying to launch it from a cutting board ( I will now make a wooden peel ). The dough got hung up and I ended up loosing a bunch of toppings to the BBQ and the pizza scrunched up on one end as I tried to force it off the cutting board.

The good news is that I made a bunch of mistakes on my first pizza and now know some things that need to be done differently. I also found the perfect (to me) recipe for Italian sausage. The GREAT news is that if this first attempt is any indication of things to come, I am on a path to happiness.

Here are some pics, I hope. (they are not showing in the preview and this is my first picture post )

Offline Old Red

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My First Homemade Pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
HillyBilly, I too have just started and had the same mishaps. Keep at it. I share pizzas with my ex-, She thought the first one was good and, more importantly, she thinks they are getting better. Have fun.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
Hillbilly , Welcome to the forum. After your narrative, I expected a mess ??? , Very pleased however at the pics of your pie. :pizza:

I have this past year been making my own sausage as well. Do you mind sharing the recipe for the Italian sausage that you found?

Keep up the good work, your pizza will improve and ... well, if your wife already likes it the way it is
????????

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Kale dog

• SO VEGAN DAIYA OMG SO GIF IMAGE
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »
Nice work and great 1st Pie  :chef:
Hippocrates: 'Let food be thy medicine

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »
Hillbilly , Welcome to the forum. After your narrative, I expected a mess ??? , Very pleased however at the pics of your pie. :pizza:

I have this past year been making my own sausage as well. Do you mind sharing the recipe for the Italian sausage that you found?

Keep up the good work, your pizza will improve and ... well, if your wife already likes it the way it is
????????

Mark

Hi Mark,

I guess my wife is not a Pizza connoisseur but then neither am I. As long as she likes it, all is good.

Here is the recipe I found for the Italian Sausage. It is surprisingly simple and I think it is perfect ..... but we all have different tastes. You may want to adjust the seasonings to your preference.

10 Lbs of pork butt coarsely ground and chilled (I used a med plate on the grinder)
2 oz of fennel seed ground up in a mortar and pestle
4 oz oz of sea salt ground fine
2 oz of crushed red pepper

hand mix the spices in to the ground pork and either stuff into casings or make patties. I made patties, froze them and then vac sealed the frozen patties.

I partially cooked the sausage before adding it to the pizza but given how long it took to cook the pizza in my BBQ I could have used the sausage raw.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
Crushed red pepper is your friend.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
Hi Mark,

Here is the recipe I found for the Italian Sausage. It is surprisingly simple and I think it is perfect ..... but we all have different tastes. You may want to adjust the seasonings to your preference.

10 Lbs of pork butt coarsely ground and chilled (I used a med plate on the grinder)
2 oz of fennel seed ground up in a mortar and pestle
4 oz oz of sea salt ground fine
2 oz of crushed red pepper

I

Thanks, just about the same recipe as I have been using. your salt is 2.5 %, mine 2%.
And yes it is good!!!!!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles