Author Topic: Tools of the trade? Mixing, controlling temps, etc...  (Read 995 times)

Offline D C

Tools of the trade? Mixing, controlling temps, etc...
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »
So I've caught the pizza making bug and want to improve on what I have so far. 

I found a Neopolitan recipe online (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html) which is a no-knead, chilled-ferment dough. Simple enough.  I'm cooking it on a stone in a 550 oven (tried to get it hotter and it turns out that the cleaning cycle doesn't work) and frankly it's pretty darn good stuff compared to any other homemade pizza I've attempted.

But I see a lot of mention of various styles of mixing and very precise temperature control for water, dough, fermenting, etc...

So for those who just toss the ingredients into the kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook and go "yup, that water is warm", what's the next step?
I've read a bit about food processors, and not using a dough hook.  I suppose that's a matter of preference and knowing what to use and when.

But the temperatures.... water temp is easy enough.  But dough temp & fermentation temp, and varying them over the course of a rise? How does one control those things?  I can play with the house thermostat and see how it goes, I guess  ;D

So are there "tools of the trade" that should be added to the kitchen when making pizza?  Got the peel & stone covered of course.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tools of the trade? Mixing, controlling temps, etc...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Dave,

This PMQ article by Tom Lehmann might help: http://web.archive.org/web/20070502014430/http://www.pmq.com/mag/2003spring/tom_lehmann.shtml. However, the methods described in the article work best in a commercial setting where there are far fewer variables than in a home setting. Some examples of these variables are discussed at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7180.msg61973/topicseen.html#msg61973. To get a better feel for how to cope with temperatures in a standard home setting, you might read the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14376.msg143632.html#msg143632.

Peter

Offline D C

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »
Thanks Pete.  I have about 50 forum windows open right now, reading up on pretty much everything.

What to use for a dough thermometer though?  I'm headed to Lowes shortly, maybe I'll check out those infrared ones. :)

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
Thanks!!  I knew there had to be a mathematical approach to this question/problem!

I like the 145 rule of thumb, and ill try that first! 
TD

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »
DC, I measure all my temps with a ThermaPen. Really easy. Stick the probe into the flour and record the temp. Stick the probe into the water and record the temp. Mix the dough, knead if you like, form the dough ball and record the temp. I use a fridge therm to monitor my fridge temp for fermentation. If I do a controlled box temp I use a Maverick remote, if I use room temp, I monitor with the Thermapen.
If your goal is to get a dough ball temp of say 80-85F, then practice with different water temps combined with you flour temp till your dough ball temp is achieved.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline D C

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »
Thanks Mark, I'll check out the Thermopen.

I was thinking an IR thermometer would be good for measuring oven temps. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:35 PM »
Thanks Mark, I'll check out the Thermopen.

I was thinking an IR thermometer would be good for measuring oven temps.
IR only reads the surface temp.....do as Mark says.
Also, you can extended ferment with a coleman cooler an ice bottles...takes some trials though.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline D C

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »
IR only reads the surface temp.....do as Mark says.
Also, you can extended ferment with a coleman cooler an ice bottles...takes some trials though.
From what I've read, temps in the low 60s are good for fermentation.  As luck would have it, I have a heavily insulated room beneath my front porch that maintains a constant 63-64 with no ice required. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
From what I've read, temps in the low 60s are good for fermentation.  As luck would have it, I have a heavily insulated room beneath my front porch that maintains a constant 63-64 with no ice required.
That's great D C....please post up some pics soon as you can. Rock on an have fun man!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan