Author Topic: Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber  (Read 6959 times)

Offline redox

Re: Blackstone Oven Pizzas & Jibber-Jabber
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
So I had guessed that the crank it down after launch would favor bottom heat - less browning on top -  and that is what the photo's appear to show - right?
I was getting to much "browning of the cheese" (wasn't that a medieval madrigal?). I lowered the turntable of the BS a bit and tried baking it a little differently and it all seemed to work, somehow. I may try adjusting the flame during baking next time to see what I can do with reducing browning. There's always the chauflector, of course, but I'll keep that as a backup.

Offline asihi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
Your pizzas look fantastic. I do have a question though. When cooking with raw meats like sausage, do you have to pre-cook the meat? It seems like this oven cooks so quickly, it wouldn't give the meat enough time cook. Thanks again for the pizza pics. Now I'm really hungry.

Tony

Offline redox

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Your pizzas look fantastic. I do have a question though. When cooking with raw meats like sausage, do you have to pre-cook the meat? It seems like this oven cooks so quickly, it wouldn't give the meat enough time cook. Thanks again for the pizza pics. Now I'm really hungry.

Tony
I put on small pieces of sausage and press them rather flat between my thumb and forefinger. I've never had any problems with it not cooking well enough. You want the juice and grease to melt into the pizza, it's delicious! (Although, I'm sure your Dr. would tell you differently.) :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »
Tight pants aside, I couldn't put off a Chi-Town thin crust any longer. Garvey's Pizza Factory clone is so good!
I used what I had, Bob Evans Italian sausage in a roll (I toasted some fennel and added extra) mild banana peppers, mushrooms and some Feta cheese leftover from a previous Greek salad. The Feta doesn't melt but it sure tastes good on pizza. I should've let the BS cool just a bit before launch, the bottom got a bit more done than ideal but it still tasted great.

Offline redox

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
This second Chicago Thin Crust pie turned out much better than the previous one. I kept better control of the heat this time. Who knew that'd be important? ;D
Sausage, baby portabella mushrooms, banana peppers, turned out great. Nice crispness to the crust, I could hear the crunch when cutting it. I feel I've redeemed myself after the previous pie which was a step backwards.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:17:53 PM by redox »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
Jay,

Nice job!  That pizza looks great.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline redox

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
Jay,

Nice job!  That pizza looks great.

Norma
Thanks Norma. The cold leftovers are pretty tasty, too. I'm munching them now.  :) This was the best the crust has ever turned out for me.
I think I need to do a nice big steak next time, though. For variety.

Offline italdream

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
A few Neapolitan-style pizzas from last Saturday pizza session. Fast rise dough (8 hours) resulting in smaller blisters/less even leoparding than usual.

The capricciosa was rounder than it looks. The plate was not flat so the pizza caved in a bit. Time to buy better plates...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:25:09 PM by italdream »

Offline redox

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
A few Neapolitan-style pizzas from last Saturday pizza session. Fast rise dough (8 hours) resulting in smaller blisters/less even leoparding than usual.

The capricciosa was rounder than it looks. The plate was not flat so the pizza caved in a bit. Time to buy better plates...
You might've meant to post in the Blackstone Oven thread but thanks for posting here, it classes up the joint.  :-D
Delicious looking pies, btw.  :drool:

Offline redox

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
italdream,
When I'm ready to try that style, I know who to ask for help, I had some very good Veal Piccata earlier tonight but your pizzas still make me hungry.

Offline italdream

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
Thanks redox. When you are ready to go Neapolitan,  ask me anything,  if I can help I will gladly do so.  My pizzas are totally open source.

I thought that I was posting in the right thread. Perhaps some mod can move it to the right place. I would not want to post it twice.

Offline redox

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Thanks redox. When you are ready to go Neapolitan,  ask me anything,  if I can help I will gladly do so.  My pizzas are totally open source.

I thought that I was posting in the right thread. Perhaps some mod can move it to the right place. I would not want to post it twice.
Hey, just kidding about your post. I try not to be serious too often. Pssst, most people around here are serious as librarians. I'm just trying to lessen the sense of dread.  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »
Hey, just kidding about your post. I try not to be serious too often. Pssst, most people around here are serious as librarians. I'm just trying to lessen the sense of dread.  :-D
Although I am as boring as dishwater(thanks Jay ;)) may I still post new info here on your thread...promise to keep the count down to a minimum pizza pal....wouldn't want to piss off da big shots!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 07:27:39 AM »
Although I am as boring as dishwater(thanks Jay ;)) may I still post new info here on your thread...promise to keep the count down to a minimum pizza pal....wouldn't want to piss off da big shots!  8)
Bob! You're outta rehab already?  :-D
Go ahead, have more posts than the US/Mexico border fence that we...er don't really have. There's only one rule, don't forget to flush.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
Bob! You're outta rehab already?  :-D
Go ahead, have more posts than the US/Mexico border fence that we...er don't really have. There's only one rule, don't forget to flush.
Well....didn't actually get released, but I'm definitely not there no more(thank God)....I think I saw Ryan in there man, that was weird.
Pies are looking great here! Nice jibber-jabbering with you....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline italdream

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »

Sorry I read the post while on the train without paying much attention  :( :(, and completely missed the joke. My fault  :'( and thanks...