Author Topic: The Scott123 appreciation thread!  (Read 9811 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

The Scott123 appreciation thread!
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »
I've been a part of a number of forums over the years and this one in particular has been at the top of the list.  I think it's Steve, our beloved moderators Peter and Bill, and the members who make it special for me and time worthy.  I have taken occasional breaks but keep finding myself back here for some reason.   It's the sense of comradery, the feeling of belonging to a worthwhile community, getting help and helping others that make me feel good just to be here. 

Of our members, there are a handful of people who I can think of who consistently go above and beyond in their contribution to the forum.  One of those people is Scott123.  There is no doubt that he has helped countless members improve their pizza with his posts on NY style pizza, various ovens, baking stones and steel, flours, and just general pizza knowledge.   

I want to take this opportunity to highlight Scott's Contributions to the forum and it's members and possibly be able to do something nice as a token of appreciation for just being an all around great person.   Now it's no surprise that Scott and I have had our differences in the Blackstone thread and a few other topics, but I have said on several occasions that I consider Scott a friend and it's okay for friends to disagree. :P

What I haven't said, is how Scott has helped me in my pizza making efforts and why I appreciate him.   I joined the forum a few years back when I was rather green in my pizza making skills.  Of the very first members to reach out to help me with my dough formulation were Peter (0f course) and Scott123.    Not only myself, but I have seen this scenario repeat itself countless times.  Over and over again, Scott reaches out to strangers looking for help and guides them towards better pizza. 

And in the past, I have been so frustrated with this forum for one reason or another that I have wanted to quit participating entirely.  This has happened to me several times and during those times of frustration, Scott123 was among one of a few members who reached out to me privately and provided support and encouragement.  If it wasn't for the efforts of Scott and the few others, I probably wouldn't be posting this right now and I would have stop contributing long ago.

NY pizza tours.   I am aware of at least 2 NY pizza tours whereby one of them, I witness Scott's kindness and generosity to the participating members.  During the most recent one that I had the pleasure of attending I saw Scott organize the entire thing, picked up members who didn't have transportation, made sure everyone got to where they needed to be even when it wasn't part of the pizza tour, and introduced us to his passion of NY pizza.  He was just as kind of a host as you could ever want.   Scott again, went above and beyond and he did it cheerfully.  For the love of pizza and the forum members.   

I know I can't be the only one who appreciates Scott and his membership here.  If anyone wants to share how Scott has personally helped them, this is the place to do just that. 

But beyond sharing our appreciation for Scott, I want to see if the forum members would like to pitch in and do something nice for Scott as a small token of appreciation for his efforts here.  I'd like to see if we can raise $370 or so and get Scott a Blackstone Pizza oven.   Scott was very modest and hesitant about this idea, but I can't think of another member more deserving.   For now, this is just an idea, and we still have to get approval from Steve.   If this little project is approved, members can post their pledge or send me an private message.   I will post a list of members who are contributing to this project and also post how close we are to our goal.  Don't worry, I won't be posting the specific amounts contributed.  If any member wishes to contribute and remain anonymous, that would be great as well.  I will count them in the number of people who have contributed while keeping them anonymous.  Just specify that in your private message to me. 

If we can make this happen, which I believe we can, I'm sure Scott would really appreciate the gesture of kindness from the forum members.  If not, then just the thought alone and the posts will mean a lot to him I am sure.   Monetary contributions are not necessary to this thread.  Again, just a word of thanks to Scott and how he has helped you will be more than enough.  The rest will take care of itself. 

Chau
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:41:49 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: The Scott123 appreciation thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
Chau, I think that your sentiments are right on. My only concern with making this gift offer public is that we would be singling out one of many generous contributors to this forum. Kinda like a beauty contest, where There are so many deserving participants.
On another forum I belong to there is a yearly award made to distinguished contributors based on a popular vote as well as the feelings of the owner of the forum.

I too regard many of the teachers here as indispensable in providing knowledge and experience to the rest of us fledgling neophytes.

I would hate to single out one over the other, as all are deserving of great thanks and reward.

Your idea is well meant.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Ok, I just got the green light from Steve, the forum owner.  Steve wants to make sure that members clearly understand that the forum site (pizzamaking.com) itself is not involved in this campaign in getting Scott123 a Blackstone oven in any way.

I want members to also understand that this thread is more about posting your appreciation for Scott123 and how he has helped you on the forum.  And as an aside, if anyone wants to contribute $ towards the goal of $370 to get Scott a BS oven, that would be appreciated. 

It's an opportunity to 1) recognize Scott and his invaluable contribution to the forum and 2) to be able to contribute to doing something nice for someone who will appreciate it immensely.  Or if you just want to see what a Scott123 pizza looks like!  That's right!  Scott has already agreed that if he receives an oven, that he promises to post up some pictures of his pizzas.  That is worth it right there folks!  :P

Kidding aside, if anyone wants to contribute to the fund, please send me a private message.  Please specify....

-The amount (any amount is appreciated)
-if you want to remain anonymous or if it's okay for me to include you in a list of contributors at some point in the future).

I will periodically update this thread with the number of contributors we have and how close we are to the goal.   Let's see if we can make this happen in the next couple of weeks. 

Chau

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
Chau,
I think you can make this happen real quick if you let us post here our contributions.

Put me down for 30 bucks.....thanks for all your help Scott!  ;)

Chicago Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
Chau, I think that your sentiments are right on. My only concern with making this gift offer public is that we would be singling out one of many generous contributors to this forum. Kinda like a beauty contest, where There are so many deserving participants.
On another forum I belong to there is a yearly award made to distinguished contributors based on a popular vote as well as the feelings of the owner of the forum.

I too regard many of the teachers here as indispensable in providing knowledge and experience to the rest of us fledgling neophytes.

I would hate to single out one over the other, as all are deserving of great thanks and reward.

Your idea is well meant.

Mark

Mark I understand your concerns and Scott voiced the same in a private message.  My response to him is that I don't see this as singling Scott out for a prize or an award.  We aren't saying that Scott has made more of a contribution, or that his contribution is more valuable than other members, or that he is more any important than any other member.   This is first and foremost an appreciation thread for Scott123.  We have had similar threads like this highlighting members like Peter.  The only difference is that there are a few members who wish to contribute towards getting Scott an BS oven.  I am not requesting or encouraging members to participate in raising money. 

Between myself and a few other members, the funds are potentially already there.  It is merely an opportunity for those who would like to chip in, who want to be a part of doing something nice for Scott, as a way of saying Thank you,  to be able to do so.   There is no requirement to participate.  And participation doesn't get anyone into any type of special club whatsoever.  Just so that is known.

Chau 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
Chau,
I think you can make this happen real quick if you let us post here our contributions.

Put me down for 30 bucks.....thanks for all your help Scott!  ;)

Chicago Bob

Bob, if any member wishes to post in the  thread their contribution that is okay with me as well.  Just specify how much and I will add you onto the list.  There is no minimum or maximum amount.   

And thank you for the donation Bobby!   8)

Chau

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Chau

This is a great idea.

I don't have to repay Scott for all the help he has given me; I want to. 

I would love to see a picture of his ear to ear grin when he pulls out his first pie.

Count me in, Dave too(I love spending his money lol).

Bob

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
Thank you Bobino and Dave!  :-D This is the spirit of this forum and what I was looking for.  PLEASE understand folks.  I am in no way wanting to single out any person or make anyone else feel left out or less worthy.  This is simply an opportunity to do something nice for a forum member who has gone above and beyond time and time again to help others. 

Bobino, I too would love to see a picture of Scott pulling out a "Scott" pie from his BS oven with a pizza eating grin on his face.  Let's also think of some names for this oven.  I propose "the flame thrower!"     >:D.

Chau

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »
Don't believe a single word Chau is saying. It's just an elaborate scheme to pay for his trip to Hawaii.

Either that or this is an incredibly convoluted means for him to win our Blackstone argument. *shaking my head* The depths people will go.

:-D :-D :-D

Seriously, though, Mark, I said pretty much the same thing here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg265065.html#msg265065

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
Let's also think of some names for this oven.  I propose "the flame thrower!"     >:D.

Chau
       "Modded"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
 :-D LOL.  Scott, I have already been to Honolulu twice and it's enough for me.  My next trip will be to one of the Asian countries or to Italy and I'm afraid it's gonna be more than 370 BS bucks.

And as far as the BS thread goes, I am as convinced of my arguments as you are of yours.    Yes, I suspect I love to win arguments as much as you do, but let's not let those disagreements get in the way of great pizza.  There is no way that you shouldn't be baking in a BS.  And if you can't get one now, then some of us would like to see you get an oven sooner than later.  ;D  If it's easier for you to swallow, just think of it as some of us helping you into the world of making NP pies.   :angel:  Lot's of fun and more fun eating the results.   Just 2 days ago, I declared that I am tired of eating my pizza but yet I made experimental dough last night.  This oven is too easy to use and I can't stop making pizza so there.  We are helping you with your addiction!

I was just going to have members donate any amount of $ they want until we reach the goal of $370, but a few members have express an interest in just getting a list of contributors going and dividing the cost equally towards everyone.   I think this is a great idea.  What do you guys say?  If we get 37 members, that's 10 bucks a piece.   I will post a list of members who have made a good faith pledge if you guys like this idea.

Chau

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:28:47 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
I haven't met Scott but i've reached out to him for guidence when i go to NY and he's always been exceptionally helpful.  but more than that, his contributions to the forum are always really entertaining.  sometimes they make me cringe, sometimes they make me laugh, but they are always worth reading.  it's about time we see a 123 pizza picture!  count me in for a share.
bill

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
Count me in, Dave too(I love spending his money lol).  Bob

I'm in. 

Scott - your intellect (e.g. patent) and frequent contributions (e.g. zinc/vinegar) are welcome adds to the forum.  (FWIIW, I did read the patent claims, and think that some companies will find them interesting - but let's not get into that again...)

Dave

Offline slybarman

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
Where do we send our contribution?  PayPal?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »
Where do we send our contribution?  PayPal?

Right now, I am just compiling a list of members who would like to contribute.  If anyone wants to contribute, just shoot me a private message and I will add you to the list.  As of now we have 12 folks who are interested in seeing Scott get a Blackstone oven.  If we can get at least 30 members, the cost to each member will only be about $12 each.   We are almost halfway there!  Slybarman, should I add you to the list?

Once we get enough supporters, I will order the oven with a CC and members can send me $ via paypal or a check in the mail, whatever you are comfortable with.   Thank you to those who have contributed so far.  Also don't forget that this is the Scott123 appreciation thread.   Your words of appreciation will mean even more to Scott than the oven.  Although talk is cheap and the oven is nice!  :-D  Just kidding, that was a joke...

Chau
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:16:57 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline slybarman

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
Sure,  I'm in.

Mal

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
I'll be in for $30 if Scott'll post a video of the entire process.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
I'll be in for $30 if Scott'll post a video of the entire process.
Now, now Mal...let's not get greedy. I'm sure Scott will be accommodating with whatever sort of camera/vid he has available.

Mal

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
Was not my intention to be greedy. I wasn't expecting a hollywood production or anything. The video camera that shot this
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BEwJeocY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BEwJeocY</a>
would be just dandy.
I'm rooting for ya Scott!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:19 PM »
I'm In! I have allways included Scott in my pizza plans wheneve possible  as mentioned he met me in secaucus and we drove into the city in tandem  with the 2 shuttle vehicles. He was calling frequently  to be sure we were on track and all stayed together! He has also helped me many times  with various concerns and questions. And top of all that he has made some very kind and generous comments on my pizza journey as well.  So yes THANK YOU SCOTT! All i ask for 10 min of his extensive computer knowledge as well to update (increase) the prices and a few pics on my flirting with fire website. He already agreed by the way I have just been crazy busy to find a few hours and get Ed done.
Please add me to the list Chau !
Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com