Author Topic: Setting up a New Haven pizza field trip - looking for a date between Aug 10-17  (Read 4796 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Yes I am Coming ! But I have a day job  :'( so doubtful I can make it at 2:00 pm?  would be hard. If the consensus is that I will simply join in after. If we cant hit 3-4 places in 5 hours  we may be eating a little too much pizza ?  :drool:
looking forward to it !
John

I haven't seen anyone that's wanting a 2:00 start, so let's stick with 3:00.

Barry
Lastly, what's parking going be like?

It's all street parking for Pepe's, Sally's and Modern (at 3:00, this one shouldn't be an issue). That's another reason to do Pepe's and Sally's back-to-back. Once you get a parking spot, you probably won't want to go through that again at prime time. I don't remember if there are meters on those streets, but it's a distinct possibility.

Soon, my pizza-obsessed friends, soon!  :drool:

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
I was resoponding to post #57 just saying it would be hard to amake it for that 2PM scenarion that was posted
see ya soon!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
I was resoponding to post #57 just saying it would be hard to amake it for that 2PM scenarion that was posted
see ya soon!

Yup, and I was responding to your response.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline dhorst

So, Modern @3pm, then Pepe's, Sally's and Zuppari's is the lineup?  Looking forward to meeting everyone and of course spreading some Aleppo love!  I must say the Aleppo was outstanding on last night's fig, prosciutto and goat cheese pie.

Offline caymus

Hi all,

Is this excursion open to any last minute people?  I have some conflicts that day, but I may be able to attend most of it.  I'm only about an hour away in good traffic.  I have eaten at the Pepe's in Manchester, CT numerous times.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Is this excursion open to any last minute people?  I have some conflicts that day, but I may be able to attend most of it.  I'm only about an hour away in good traffic.  I have eaten at the Pepe's in Manchester, CT numerous times.

Sure is. The only definite time is 3:00 at Modern. After that, we're on New Haven pizza time due to lines, etc.

Barry

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
One other thing I just thought of. PLEASE BRING CASH on Wednesday. Some New Haven pizza places are notorious for letting their customers know how much of a pain in the butt customers are in general, and really hate to split checks on separate credit cards (more than 2 cards, for sure).

I look forward to seeing everyone on Wednesday at 3:00 at Modern. After that, we'll adjust based on the lines and what the group wants to do. It'll be easy to recognize me when you get to Modern - I'll be the one looking hungry. ;D

Barry
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:05:42 PM by bfguilford »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Cash IS KING  ;D

scott123

Beyond recommending bringing cash, might I also suggest bringing small bills as well?

scott123

That's a great point, Deb. I can pretty much guarantee that people will have GPS problems if they are coming from the west along 95 North.

Hey folks, before you get to New Haven (coming from NYC direction), look for signs to I-91 North (stay in the 2 left lanes). Exit 48 onto I-91 North. Take Exit 5 off I-91. Hard left at the end of the exit ramp. Left on State St (Rte 5). Modern Apizza is approx 1 mile on the right.

Barry, are the directions Google is giving me correct?

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Barry, are the directions Google is giving me correct?

That should work. It looks like they are taking you off I-91 one exit earlier, and with a few more turns than the directions from Modern's web site. You'll get there either way.

Barry

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Bummer....I will be in CT in October for a wedding.  It's been a couple years since we were up there, almost 4 since we moved.  Never made it to Modern, it was Pepe's all the time.

I hear on good authority that http://www.barnightclub.com/   has a great mashed potato pizza. If you squeeze that in, I would like to hear about it!
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
See everyone at 3 at Modern.  I read quickly through the thread and the biggest issue is going to be Sally's...I have boycotted that place because it is minimum two hours in there even if you are the first person in line.  I was a HUGE fan 10-15 years ago but they have alienated a lot of the old time customers.  Thats just my .02.  I'm in and will wait as long as everyone can or is will to.  Zupps is a no brainer any time.
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
 ;D  It's New Haven day!
Deb

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Got my stretch pants on !!  :-D

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
See everyone at 3 at Modern.  I read quickly through the thread and the biggest issue is going to be Sally's...I have boycotted that place because it is minimum two hours in there even if you are the first person in line.  I was a HUGE fan 10-15 years ago but they have alienated a lot of the old time customers.  Thats just my .02.  I'm in and will wait as long as everyone can or is will to.  Zupps is a no brainer any time.

I know where you're coming from, Polish. I would just as soon skip Sally's because of similar experience (and spend more time at Pepe's), but it's part of the New Haven pizza tradition. I think we'll leave it up to the group (and see what kind of line there is).

Got my stretch pants on !!  :-D

LOL, and not a bad idea at all. We'll probably need to get seat belt extenders for the ride home.  :-D

I'm psyched and looking forward to seeing everyone later.

Barry

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Unless I'm mistaken......I THINK Modern is closed this week...sorry...someone just told me that....

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
I'll go early and check.....

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Yep.......walked down the street and it's closed for vacation...sorry for the late heads up

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Should we head to pepes?   Gaba you still here I'm in the parking lot
Deb

pizzapan