Author Topic: Setting up a New Haven pizza field trip - looking for a date between Aug 10-17  (Read 3969 times)

Offline dhorst

I did check that out, Diana. I'm intrigued. Right now I use part-skim mozz (I used to occasionally mix in some nasty vegan "cheese") with olive oil spayed on top to help with the melting.

Barry
Do try it!  It's really great, for what it is as a substitute.  It melts well but would not be acceptable in a Calabrese salad.

Offline dhorst

Grabbed and done and for a lower price!  $5.39/lb on the aristocrat cocoa.

Deb, if I could get two 7 oz. sticks of the Vermont pepperoni, I would appreciate it.  Just let me know the cost and shipping so I have cash in hand. :D

If anyone would like anything from CNY, please do let me know.  As I mentioned before, I have some Grande curd on order, some of which I will be delivering to DMC in Albany.  I am happy to share some with others and of course there will be Aleppo on board.  Best wishes, Diana

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Deb, if I could get two 7 oz. sticks of the Vermont pepperoni, I would appreciate it.  Just let me know the cost and shipping so I have cash in hand. :D

they are cheaper than the cocoa you are getting for me so you need no $, I will have money for you.   I have to check but I think they are ~4.50 a piece.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
OK. Here's the schedule. Other than the first place, all times are approximate since none of these places take reservations.

3:00 Modern
        874 State St, New Haven
        www.modernapizza.com

4:45 Pepe's
        157 Wooster St, New Haven
        www.pepespizzeria.com

6:00 Sally's
        237 Wooster St, New Haven
        www.sallysapizza.com

8:00 Zuppardi's
        179 Union Ave, West Haven
        www.zuppardisapizza.com

I look forward to seeing everyone on Aug. 14th.

:drool:

Barry

Directions to Modern 2 posts below.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:06:42 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member

Barry, is anyone going to have any issues with the bridge changeover - gps's getting confused?  I haven't looked at where people are coming from - to in relationship to the bridge.  I only have been from here down to the Thimbles and don't know New Haven at all. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:37:58 PM by deb415611 »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Barry, is anyone going to have any issues with the bridge changeover - gps's getting confused?  I haven't looked at where people are coming from - to in relationship to the bridge.  I only have been from here down to the Thimbles and don't know New Haven at all.

That's a great point, Deb. I can pretty much guarantee that people will have GPS problems if they are coming from the west along 95 North.

Hey folks, before you get to New Haven (coming from NYC direction), look for signs to I-91 North (stay in the 2 left lanes). Exit 48 onto I-91 North. Take Exit 5 off I-91. Hard left at the end of the exit ramp. Left on State St (Rte 5). Modern Apizza is approx 1 mile on the right.

Coming south on I-91, there's no change. Take Exit 4 (not 5). Turn right at end of exit ramp. Turn left at first light (onto State St) and Modern is on your right.

We'll have the St. Bernards on patrol (with boxes of pizza in lieu of brandy).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline dhorst

Can't wait!  I will armed and ready with a pound of Aleppo and baggies for people to take home with them! >:D

Oh, also, are these cash only places?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:07:48 PM by dhorst »

Offline scott123

Barry, I notice you're allotting 1:45 to Modern and 2 hours to Sallys, but only 1:15 to Pepe's. Could I put in a request for more Pepe's time?  No offense to fans of the other places, but, beyond meeting all of you, my primary purpose of this trip is to experience Pepe's in all of it's glory.

Also, which of these is liable to be busy/have long lines?  Would Pepe's have shorter lines at 3 than at 4:45? We will be waiting as a group, which will enjoyable in itself, but if there's a way to avoid waiting, it might be nice.

Lastly, what's parking going be like?

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Barry, I notice you're allotting 1:45 to Modern and 2 hours to Sallys, but only 1:15 to Pepe's. Could I put in a request for more Pepe's time?  No offense to fans of the other places, but, beyond meeting all of you, my primary purpose of this trip is to experience Pepe's in all of it's glory.

Also, which of these is liable to be busy/have long lines?  Would Pepe's have shorter lines at 3 than at 4:45? We will be waiting as a group, which will enjoyable in itself, but if there's a way to avoid waiting, it might be nice.

All good points, Scott. This was my thinking. Sally's opens at 5. Since it is right down the street from Pepe's, I thought it made sense to go back to back with those. The times for Modern and Zuppardi's have some travel time built in. Lines should not be an issue at Modern and Pepe's at that time and probably will be an issue at Sally's. Last thing is that Zuppardi's closes at 9:30. Again all times are flexible and we can hopefully make decisions on the fly. Also open to suggestions.

Offline scott123

Barry, do you think the wait at Sally's would be any different, at, say, 8:00 then it would be at 6:00? If the later time trims the wait, we could do Zuppardi's, then Pepe's, then Modern and end up at Sally's. It would add an extra 5 minute drive to Modern, but if that extra 5 minutes in the car translates into less time in line at Sally's, it might be worth it.

3:00 Zuppardi's
4:30 Pepe's
6:30 Modern
8:00 Sally's

What's the wait at Sally's when they open at 5?  Again, it would add that extra 5 minute drive to Modern, but if 5:00 represents a smaller line, we could do something like

3:00 Pepe's
5:00 Sally's
6:30 Modern
8:00 Zuppardi's

Both of these scenarios remove the back to back aspect of Pepe's/Sally's, but, since Modern is so close, we're not really losing much.

It all hinges on Sally's, though. If Sally's is destined to be a bit crazy no matter what time we go, then your schedule looks great- although I would like to subtract 15 minutes from Sally's and give it to Pepe's  ;D

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
if we do Pepe's then Sally's we could call The Spot when we are almost done at Pepe's pick it up while walking to Sally's and eat it in line  ;D (or the other way around)   

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Scott: Let me think about the alternatives. The problem is that wherever we go at 6:30, including Modern, we will be hit with a line.

Offline scott123

Scott: Let me think about the alternatives. The problem is that wherever we go at 6:30, including Modern, we will be hit with a line.

Ah, that makes sense. Last question  :) Is the 6:30 Modern line liable to be as long as the 6:15 Sally's line?

Offline scott123

if we do Pepe's then Sally's we could call The Spot when we are almost done at Pepe's pick it up while walking to Sally's and eat it in line  ;D (or the other way around)

I like the way you think  ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Wow  Details I'm just gonna eat me some pizza ! No matter who comes first  :P

I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackitup

I have to finally jump in and tell you guys how much you screwed up the date on this, it's the same weekend I'm doing my Ma's 80th surprise birthday party :-D I would make the drive down from MN for this but I guess I gotta stick with my ma!! Maybe next time, sounds like a GREAT time!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Ah, that makes sense. Last question  :) Is the 6:30 Modern line liable to be as long as the 6:15 Sally's line?

Probably six of one half a dozen of the other. In other words... yup.

Wow  Details I'm just gonna eat me some pizza ! No matter who comes first  :P

Does this mean you'll be joining us, John???

I have to finally jump in and tell you guys how much you screwed up the date on this, it's the same weekend I'm doing my Ma's 80th surprise birthday party :-D I would make the drive down from MN for this but I guess I gotta stick with my ma!! Maybe next time, sounds like a GREAT time!!!

jon

C'mon Jon, Ma'll understand.  ;D

Barry

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Or we could solve this whole thing by meeting an hour earlier at Modern, which would make it:

Modern @ 2:00
Pepe's @ 4:00
Sally's @ 6:00
Zuppardi's @ 8:00

All times except Modern would be "-ish"

Barry

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Jon,  it's too bad you can't come.

Barry - do you know this, I was wondering myself. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Yes I am Coming ! But I have a day job  :'( so doubtful I can make it at 2:00 pm?  would be hard. If the consensus is that I will simply join in after. If we cant hit 3-4 places in 5 hours  we may be eating a little too much pizza ?  :drool:
looking forward to it !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan