Author Topic: Craig's Bar Pies  (Read 3250 times)

Offline The Red Wasp

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Craig's Bar Pies
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 12:36:56 PM »
This looks awesome!

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 05:52:07 AM »
Hi Craig

Looking forward to your next attempt with the change in HR & Oil (That's if I don't beat you to it  ;D )

I notice you added LDM which was not present in your first attempt - any improvement noted?
I also notice that your first attempt used a stone and your latest one used the steel - you can see a difference in the way the under carriage charred - visually I like the way the steel chars spots on the under carriage - I'm curious to know how was the taste if you can remember from you first attempt which was some time back?

Thanks
Mo
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:57:25 AM by PizzaManic »
Regards Mo

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Mo,

I really don't remember a lot about the first batch. My memory is that they were crisper, but there are dozens of reasons why it may have been different, or maybe I'm just imagining a difference. I did think the charring from the steel, but again, I can't remember enough about the first to say if I like it better or not. 
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 11:04:04 AM »
I changed up a few things - probably too many to change at once, but I was pretty sure they were all good changes, and I'm really happy with the direction this is heading.

I used different pans. These are Allied Metal 12" (11" bottom) 11/16" deep aluminium pans. They started as shiny aluminum and I seasoned them a half dozen times. They are 50% thicker than the pans I had been using (0.060" vs 0.040"). I also ordered a pair of the hard anodized version but they have not come in yet. 

58%HR KABF (+3%)
4% oil (-2%)
3% salt
1% sugar
2% LDM (+1%)
0.5% IDY (+0.2%)

160g / 11" = TF 0.059

Mixed, balled, ~22 hours in the fridge + 4 at RT. Baked 4.5 minutes in the pan on stone at 5850F + 1 to 1.5 minutes on steel. This time I put the steel above the stone, and I liked it a lot better that way. This was the first time I used the new pans, and they were still sticking a bit. I expect the next time the edges on the pies will look better.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
nice

Craig - are you going to cut part of the pan off like you did on the other pans?   Or are you finding it easy enough to get this size out of the pan with the sides?  I have a 15 or 16 pan and find it tricky to get the pizza out to go on the stone or steel.  I just bought some 13" (maybe 14", I was having trouble deciding) this weekend that I need to season.

Deb

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
nice

Craig - are you going to cut part of the pan off like you did on the other pans?   Or are you finding it easy enough to get this size out of the pan with the sides?

No. While I really like the ease of sliding out of the cut-off pan, I really want to be able to cheese up the edge all the way around. I got these pans because they were so short -only 11/16" high. I think once they are good and seasoned, it will be easy to slide the pie right out onto the steel. Even with a bit of sticking, it wasn't a big deal.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:20:20 AM by TXCraig1 »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »
Very nice!!
Hans

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
Really nice!

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
Jeff

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »
Thanks Craig for posting your results - that pie looks fantastic.

Is that Jalapenos on the first Pie - if they are, that's my kind of pie. Love the kick from Jalapenos.

The bottoms look quite charred - did it border being burned? Any adverse taste you could detect?
Regards Mo

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
Yes - jalapenos on the first. The smaller chilis on others are serrano.

I wouldn't call them burned by any stretch, but then again I'm a well-done pizza sort of guy. I tend to err or on the side of more done and leave the pies on the steel for a couple seconds longer than you would need to. In this case, there wasn't char taste even in the last one which was the most well done. Believe me, if there was I would have heard about it from my wife.  :-D

Offline joshread

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 01:08:35 AM »
Hi, Craig. This look fantastic. I've been into making thin crust pan pizzas lately, as you can see in my attachment. So I'm realizing looking at your pizza here that bar style would be a fairly natural progression of this.

The way I make this pizza is BEYOND simple. Thin layer of oil on the bottom and sides of the inner part of the pan, hand stretch the dough to roughly 1/4" thickness, layer the ingredients, and place it in a preheated 450 degree F oven. I'm curious about the techniques you're using here. Keep in mind that I have next to NO knowledge of the specs of the dough or anything like that. I make a pretty simple dough and it's always worked well for me in multiple forms. But I'm more curious about the cooking techniques themselves.

I think I recall you saying you have a preheated stone in the oven, that you place the pan on top of? That's a really interesting idea that I hadn't ever thought of doing. Let me know if I read that right. Did you roll the dough out? I would have to imagine that's the far preferable method over hand stretching to get a consistent thickness with this thin of a pizza and for this style of pizza. How thin would you estimate having stretched the dough, pre-bake?

Basically, if you'd be so kind, I'd like to know your process for this pizza for everything outside of the dough and ingredients. Let me in on the process in layman's terms.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 02:52:58 AM »
The dough is rolled out about 80% of the way, placed in the pan that has a very light coat of butter-flavored Crisco, and then stretched by hand to the edges. The dough is about 1/16" or so thick in the pan. After it's topped, I put it on a 1/2" stone that sits below a 1/2" steel. The pizza is baked in the pan on the stone for about 4.5 min. It's then removed from the pan and baked on the steel for about 1 more minute. The oven temp is 585F.

Offline joshread

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 10:40:30 AM »
The dough is rolled out about 80% of the way, placed in the pan that has a very light coat of butter-flavored Crisco, and then stretched by hand to the edges. The dough is about 1/16" or so thick in the pan. After it's topped, I put it on a 1/2" stone that sits below a 1/2" steel. The pizza is baked in the pan on the stone for about 4.5 min. It's then removed from the pan and baked on the steel for about 1 more minute. The oven temp is 585F.

Perfect, Craig. Thank you! So I don't have a baking steel. Do you think it would the effect would be sufficiently replicated if using only a stone underneath the pan?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 11:02:14 AM »
Perfect, Craig. Thank you! So I don't have a baking steel. Do you think it would the effect would be sufficiently replicated if using only a stone underneath the pan?

That works well too. Start in the pan on the stone, and after the crust is set, slide it out onto the stone.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 09:26:11 PM »
Winner formula Craig. Thanks!
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 09:36:43 PM »
Awesome!