Author Topic: The Thread of Shame.........  (Read 27801 times)

Online jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: The Thread of Shame.........
« Reply #420 on: April 15, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
Norma,

So that means you were there from the very beginning. Congratulations.

Peter

:-D
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #421 on: April 15, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
Norma,

So that means you were there from the very beginning. Congratulations.

Peter

Peter,

Lol,  I might have worked at market for a long while but not that long.  :o  I think you might recall my late husbands parents started at market at 1928.  There might have been a couple years I missed somewhere in-between.  :angel:

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #422 on: Yesterday at 06:41:34 PM »
Made a pie for my DMP test thread. Worst pie I ever made. The toppings were crap, and the crust was dense and flavorless. It had a horrible aftertaste. It went to the trash after forcing myself to eat one slice.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #423 on: Yesterday at 07:07:29 PM »
So this is what happens when you put a whole pie back onto hot steel to reheat.  I'm still gonna eat it.  Even the holy piece  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: Yesterday at 09:16:53 PM »
Made a pie for my DMP test thread. Worst pie I ever made. The toppings were crap, and the crust was dense and flavorless. It had a horrible aftertaste. It went to the trash after forcing myself to eat one slice.

Nick,

Why do you think the crust was dense and flavorless?  What kind of formulation did you use? 

Norma

Edit:  I read your other post like Jon. 
« Last Edit: Today at 06:57:28 AM by norma427 »

Online Jackitup

« Reply #425 on: Today at 12:24:01 AM »

I seen that on your other post, gotta say, it looked pretty damned good, too bad ???
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #426 on: Today at 09:16:14 AM »
Norma, it was the same formulation as my last few DMP test pies. I think the yeast was bad. It was close to the expiration date. I usually notice a lot of gas bubbles in my dough when forming the skin. There was none this time. I knew the toppings were gong to be subpar, but I was expecting the crust to good. It was awful tasting, so much so that it almost turned me off pizza for a while. I have KASL coming in the week, so I will go back to the drawing board.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #427 on: Today at 11:23:57 AM »
Norma, it was the same formulation as my last few DMP test pies. I think the yeast was bad. It was close to the expiration date. I usually notice a lot of gas bubbles in my dough when forming the skin. There was none this time. I knew the toppings were gong to be subpar, but I was expecting the crust to good. It was awful tasting, so much so that it almost turned me off pizza for a while. I have KASL coming in the week, so I will go back to the drawing board.

Nick,

Thanks for telling us you think the yeast went bad.  I try to figure out if pizzas taste better (in the rim crusts and bottom crusts) if fermentation bubbles are in the skins.  So far I have not been able to figure out if rim crusts and bottom crusts taste better when there are some fermentation bubbles in the skins no matter how long the dough is fermented.

I made a pizza the other day that almost turned me off from making pizza for awhile too.  :-D The emergency dough did look like it was fermented enough.  I was going to post that pizza on the “thread of shame” but posted enough of that kind of stuff already.

Norma

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #428 on: Today at 12:15:40 PM »
I usually try and push the bubbles out to the rim when shaping. Most of the time my dough is almost to the point of over fermenting, usually the crust turns out light and airy. Not this time, it was dense like a Tony's frozen pizza. I am going to make another dough ball today, my KASL just arrived. Yea! Mixing it up a little, making a grilled chicken with pesto and basil pizza. No bottom of the barrel toppings this time.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: Today at 07:38:19 PM »
Well,  here I am again. :-[  Except for two bites this pizza went into the trash.  I had wanted to try the BS out today.  There were three dough balls in the freezer.  I knew two of them were Detroit style doughs and one was a smaller boardwalk style dough.  I thought the boardwalk style of dough was taken out of the freezer.  I went about working outside and trying to put the new motor on the BS and getting the hood on the BS.  The dough ball was defrosted by then.  When the dough ball was taken out of the plastic bag I knew it was a Detroit style dough ball because of it being so sticky when warm.  Wasn't sure about proceeding but when ahead anyway.  The dough was highly unmanageable.  When the pizza was slid into the BS it stuck in one place on the peel, bunch some and sure wasn't round.  There was semi-liquid coconut oil applied to the skin rim but that didn't even cause any blistering but did make the stone smoke some. 

Norma

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #430 on: Today at 07:59:07 PM »
Even on your "fails" your crumb still looks good Norma!  BTW, I hate it when I get those crease marks on the bottom.  A sure sign of a "compressed" launch.
Jeff

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #431 on: Today at 08:05:13 PM »
That last pic says it all. Must say your failure looks spectacularly tasty. You know you have made it when your failures look better than most peoples successes.

Online Jackitup

« Reply #432 on: Today at 08:18:25 PM »
I would have grabbed that like a rope in a blizzard.....REALLY!!!! :drool: :-D

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: Today at 09:38:07 PM »
Even on your "fails" your crumb still looks good Norma!  BTW, I hate it when I get those crease marks on the bottom.  A sure sign of a "compressed" launch.

The crumb might look good, but the pizza tasted terrible.  Yep, I hate it too when I get those crease marks on the bottom.  I knew it was going to be a compressed launch as soon as the pizza hit the stone.

That last pic says it all. Must say your failure looks spectacularly tasty.

I knew it was a failure as soon as it was tasted.

I would have grabbed that like a rope in a blizzard.....REALLY!!!! :drool: :-D

jon

Jon,

Did you ever try a Detroit style dough made into something like a NY style pizza?  I have tried that at market when the doughs still were  cold different times.  The doughs open well when cold and they launch well.  Just to look at it them they did look something like a NY style pizza, but something changes in the taste.  The ones made are market did not taste any good either.  I would think only flour, water, salt and IDY would make a decent NY style pizza, but it doesn't in my opinion.  I still haven't figured out if it is the higher hydration or what that fouls things up.   :-\

Norma

Online Jackitup

« Reply #434 on: Today at 09:56:49 PM »
Not on purpose but my MozzaCraig pie came out just as you describe, loved it!!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36346.0;attach=204630;image

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #435 on: Today at 10:05:10 PM »
Not on purpose but my MozzaCraig pie came out just as you describe, loved it!!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36346.0;attach=204630;image

John,

Your MozzaCraig's pie looked delicious!

Norma