Author Topic: My thoughts on pizza dough  (Read 190 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• If you learn how to listen, everyone is a guru
My thoughts on pizza dough
« on: Yesterday at 01:01:33 AM »
I've been making pizza dough for a while now and I've used it to make pizza in gas ovens, wood-fired ovens and coal-fired ovens.  I've used lava stones, ceramic tiles, steel plates and fire bricks to bake on.

Let me let you in on a little secret.

I've used the same dough recipe in every venue, every time.

The recipe I used came from Fiorentini's King of Pizza on West 42nd Street between 7th & 8th Avenues in Times Square.  Yes, in the middle of all the triple feature and triple X movie theatres, right next to Bill's Gyro's (who are still going strong on the boardwalk in Atlantic City).

And then, when I was doing all my pizza research getting ready to open Lombardi's, I decided to go right to the source:  General Mills.  It took a couple of weeks to find the right person (this was pre-internet), but they gave me what they called their recommended recipe for making pizza dough.

And guess what?

It was exactly the same.

50lb bag of All Trumps Hi Gluten Flour
3.5 gallons of water (mark 3.5 gallons in a big plastic container with a black magic marker and fill to just below the line)
1lb of sugar
1lb of salt
8oz olive oil
4oz fresh bakers yeast.

Throw the water in the Hobart and mix everything but the flour with a whisk.  Then add the flour.  Mix on low for 8 minutes.

You now have 80lbs of dough.

That's it.  Except when it's really hot & humid, add ice to the water.

You now have the dough recipe for everyplace I've ever been.  Including Lombardi's.

I fooled around with different hydration percentages but wound up coming back to this - which for you guys keeping score is about 57%.

So, what's my point?

Good pizza has been around long before hydration formulas and such.  Don't get so wrapped up into what is really a very simple process.  Because that's what pizza is supposed to be.  Plain. Simple. Food.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: My thoughts on pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:26:46 AM »
Andrew:  Thanks for posting that recipe.  Is this same day dough or do you refrigerate it?  I grew up with same day dough in NJ in the 50's-70's and with measuring tools like you mentioned (marks on buckets :) ).    I have to admit the refrigerated for 2-4 day dough I learned about on this forum hooked me and more accurate water measurement (scale) has also worked its way into me since being here.  Walter
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:49:39 PM »
Hey Walter - I generally like to keep it refrigerated for 48 hours.  After that it can get a little dry.  I have used it in less than 24 hours as the results aren't bad if you let it come to room temp and use high heat.

Offline JBailey

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:32:02 PM »
Many thanks for sharing this Andrew.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:41:54 PM »
Thanks Andrew!  I will have to give that recipe a shot.  My recipe has no oil, no sugar, and about 63% hydration, salt is similar to yours.   Walter
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:55:08 PM »
Andrew,

Is the measurement for the oil in your dough formulation by weight or by ounces? Also, maybe you have mentioned this before in the other thread, but what form does the baker's yeast take? And I am curious to know if Lombardi's used fresh yeast or dry yeast. And, finally, what dough ball weights are you now using and for what sizes?

Thanks.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:49:07 AM »
57% hydration for AT is pretty dry.  I will try it and give feedback.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:32:07 AM »
Andrew,

Is the measurement for the oil in your dough formulation by weight or by ounces? Also, maybe you have mentioned this before in the other thread, but what form does the baker's yeast take? And I am curious to know if Lombardi's used fresh yeast or dry yeast. And, finally, what dough ball weights are you now using and for what sizes?

Thanks.

Peter

Hey Pete,

The measurement for oil is ounces.  The only thing I ever weighed was the baker's yeast which came in the form of a fresh one-pound block.  It's was easy to get in NY and if I ran out, I walked over to Parisi's Bakery and borrowed a couple of their bricks and replaced it when my order came in.  I haven't been able to find fresh baker's yeast here in Malaysia, so I'm using dried.

Right now, I'm using 770 grams for an 18 inch pie.  It's the only size we make.

If I remember correctly at Lombardi's, I used 18 ounces for the 16" pie.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:36:00 AM »
57% hydration for AT is pretty dry.  I will try it and give feedback.

Nate

Hi Nate,

I'm interested in how you find it.  I'm not using AT here - not available.  Using local stuff that they say is 12-13% gluten.  Getting the  same results as AT.  The 57% doesn't include the oil, just the water.  It's what I've been using my whole career, though I did experiment here with higher hydrations.  But at the end, it's 10 kilos of flour and 5.7 kilos of water.

pizzapan