Author Topic: My fellow reballers!  (Read 23021 times)

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
Re: My fellow reballers!
« Reply #500 on: August 27, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »
Embrace the rabbit hole.  8)
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Bunny pie? Tastes like chicken?  :-D

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #502 on: August 27, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »
You realize you're opening yourself up to all kinds of experiments don't you???  Good job Bill...the pizzas look excellent and you are revealing the factors which may be most important in making great food!!!!!

John
Bill
 I admit that I can't possibly read up everyday on what is being done with pizza here...I simply don't have the time.  But, in regards to the rim of your pizza issues, I have a suggestion.  I know you like bubbles, but one of these times when you get to balling your dough, totally degas the dough first.  If you have already tried this I apologize.  But, what I have found is this.....degassing the dough did two things for me:
1)  It tames the dough ball down to be much more manageable and most importantly
2)  It taught me that the method really is viable as long as I let the dough ball loosen up enough to open easily before baking (what you call RT).  Totally degassing doesn't diminish in the least the oven spring, the coloring, or the texture.  The rim still explodes when it hits the heat, but it explodes much more evenly.

John

Offline MarkC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #503 on: August 27, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
Testing out King Arthur's 100% organic high-gluten flour.

Reball after overnight bulk ferment.

Eggshell is an understatement  ;D

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »
That's great information, John..I'll try that this week. I really appreciate that; it's a step I've missed! Thanks!

Offline ndg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #505 on: August 27, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
Skimmed through this topic - sounds great - gonna give it a try.  I read some of you had success using 00 flour, so I am going to try this as well, going low heat on blackstone. 

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone tried this approach using a Starter instead of IDY? 

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #506 on: Yesterday at 07:33:30 AM »
Skimmed through this topic - sounds great - gonna give it a try.  I read some of you had success using 00 flour, so I am going to try this as well, going low heat on blackstone. 

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone tried this approach using a Starter instead of IDY?
I am digging the Caputo "00" in the red bag. I've done anywhere from 20% (% of the flour) to 60%. I've got a 75% batch in the fridge right now. This one's using the Caputo "Pizzeria 00" flour. (Mixing with AT and going to do a 570F baked and a 650F bake, but off topic as this one was standard mixed. )

Fazzari's SD efforts using his methods look incredible. Mine not so good. I was in the middle of adjusting baking temps when a tooth pushed things back a good bit. (My SDs were way too chewy using this method - user error, I'm sure.)
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline ndg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #507 on: Yesterday at 08:51:03 AM »
Thanks Rparker . . . I will flip through the "reballers" pages here and try to find some info about Fazzari's SD efforts. 

The whole process seems somewhat simple & this whole eggshell talk has me intrigued!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #508 on: Yesterday at 09:16:46 AM »
ndg-

Just looking at your post re 00 and going with low heat on the BS. I guess that depends where you're starting from. If you've been baking NP yes, this will work at a lower heat. But if you were using the BS for NY or similar style, the 00 seems to need a little more heat than HG or BF, at least for my pies.

Offline juniorballoon

• Sirfoodalot
« Reply #509 on: Yesterday at 07:55:15 PM »
jb,

I am pretty certain that the dough that Tony G is using in the video was made using a commercial mixer, and that such a mixer is likely to produce a more robust dough than can be made in a standard home stand mixer or by hand. I don't want to go so far as to say that it isn't possible to make an equally robust dough in a standard home mixer or by hand, but I think it would be difficult to do that consistently in a home setting and it may require some creativity in the use of agitators and mixer speeds and times. It might even be that food processors and bread machines are better machines for making more robust pizza dough than can be made with a standard home stand mixer.

Peter

Well that eases my mind a bit. The dough I currently use is based on TXcraig's RT yeast chart, usually 24 hour. It is far easier to work with than some earlier CF methods I use and for my taste a bit better flavor. But this talk of egg shell bottoms has intrigued me and I will likely give CF and reballing a go.

jb

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #510 on: Today at 10:25:10 AM »
Well I finally had to try this method. I got close this first time, but a few adjustments are needed. I think they were under baked a bit.  Overall an excellent crust which I believe will get better. Thirty six hour bulk before balling. I have been using 8 inch round containers for the balls. As they get to room temperature they spread to the edge of the container. When dumped I have a nice size disc to begin stretching out. Works for me.

I really like this method and the family says YES. Hope to improve next time.
Marty

pizzapan