Author Topic: JD's "Around the world" thread  (Read 112 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
JD's "Around the world" thread
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »
When making pizza, I tend to be a creature of habit. I decided recently I need to try making new styles of pizza so I'm creating this thread to encourage me to go outside my comfort zone. I'm going to start with this high level pizza "bucket list" and see how things go but if I'm missing something, feel free to suggest adding it. Since I have never tried certain styles before, I'm going to need members to be my mentors & critics. I will not do this in any particular order or timeline, but hopefully I complete it before the end of 2015  :-D

1. American Style
2. Chicago cracker
2. Chicago thin
3. Chicago deep dish
4. Chicago stuffed
4. Detroit
5. NY thin
6. NY sicillian
7. Neapolitan
8. Pizza al taglio
9. Focaccia

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: JD's "Around the world" thread - Detroit Style
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:33:23 PM »
So my first stop around the world is Detroit style. I've always admired Normas Detroit style pizza in her Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great! thread, so I thought it would be a great place to start. Norma gave me some guidance behind the scenes, and with her help it turned out very good I think. Of course I have never eaten a Detroit style pizza so I have no idea how traditional my pizza was, but it tasted damn good.

Norma gave me a slightly modified recipe based off this recent one she posted: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg358089#msg358089

I used 50% All Trumps bromated & 50% KAAP, topped with ~4oz white cheddar, a bit of Mozz, baked at 500* in a 7 x 10 non-stick brownie pan on a stone for 10 minutes.

The only complaint I would have is that I used regular crisco in my pan, and it gave bit of an off flavor. Norma recommended butter flavored crisco so maybe I will try that in the future.  I was happy that my pizza released perfectly since I used a non-stick brownie pan.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: JD's "Around the world" thread
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:30:09 PM »
Good to see that an aluminum pas works that well. Butter-flavored Crisco is what I've used, but the recent Lard thread has me thinking...
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:00:07 PM »
Great job Josh!  All the credit goes to Pizza Hog and Peter for helping me learn to make a Detroit style pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:11:39 PM »
That looks AWESOME!! I haven't used the Crisco thing but have used lard for all the ones I've made and like it a lot. Next time I may use bacon grease, I think that should be really good :drool:

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:45:35 PM »
Oh snap Josh! That looks delicious!
Bob

pizzapan