Author Topic: My Way  (Read 2088 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 88
  • Location: southeastern Michigan
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: My Way
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:55 PM »
In case anyone wonders, here are a couple photos of my PG500 Pellet grill in action...

The first photo is showing where I put my baking steel when I'm preheating it.  As you can see, the baking steel sits about 12 inches or so , directly above the fire pot.   

 The second photo shows where I put the baking steel after it's been preheated , just before I put the pizza on.  In this photo, the auger that feeds pellets into the fire pot is running constantly. I currently do not know what the actual BTU output is, but I do know that if I close the doors on this and running it like that, the heat goes up, then flows to the right, across the top of the steel, then the heat flows downward, because the chimney outlet on the inside of the grill is in the bottom right hand side, just bellow the grate surface on the far right. I do not currently have a thermometer that will measure the actual air temperature up above that steel in this position, but I have to believe it can approach 800F.

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 88
  • Location: southeastern Michigan
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: My Way
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »
Well, yesterday I had what can really only be described as a failure.  I was trying out a Caputo 00 flour formulation with a bit of Malted Milk Powder, and a lower amount of yeast then I had ever used before.   I did a RT ( 68F ) ferment that went for 24 hours, re-balled then went in the refrigerator for 8 hours , with a 4 hour room temperature temper ( 73F ).    The dough did not rise after the re-ball, not even during the 4 hour temper.  The dough was very weak, no elastiscity at all,  I was almost unable to actually get it formed it was so loose... 

 Baked at 620F, for 7.5 minutes, rotating once...   it browned up OK for Caputo 00, there was a tiny bit of spring on one area around the edge, but for the most part, it was just a crispy and kinda chewy hunk of crust.

The formulation was 100% Caputo 00, 62% water, 1.5% Malted Milk Powder, 1.5% salt, 0.25% IDY, the only oil that went on it was on the outside of the dough ball during fermentation.

  I had a second dough ball , that I ended up putting in with some new ingredients in a 'new' batch of dough that I have in the fridge now, but more on that later....

 Here are the photos of the pizza failure... ( fortunately I wasn't depending on this pizza for dinner , I mean it was technically edible, but not anything I'd actually want to serve to a guest )

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:41:45 PM by PelletPizzaJoe »

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 88
  • Location: southeastern Michigan
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: My Way
« Reply #77 on: Today at 09:36:56 AM »
OK, so after my last Pizza , which I felt was a failure, I took the remaining dough ball ( half of the original batch ) and used it in a new batch.  First time I ever incorporated old dough into a new batch of dough...  I calculated out amounts of new ingredients so that the new batch would have a formulation of of...  100% Caputo 00, 58% hydration, 2% salt, 2% Malted milk powder, 1% oil, 0.5% IDY.

I split the new batch into two new balls of dough equal in size, placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours, re-balled one of the dough balls and let the cold ferment continue for another 12 hours at which time I pulled the re-balled dough out to be used to make a pizza.  I let the re-balled dough temper at room temperature for 5 hours, then baked it as 620F for 7 minutes.

 The results were... better then the previously failed pizza, and if I do say so myself, the pizza looked quite nice.   However, I was not impressed with the texture of the crust, I would call it only slightly better then the 'failed' pizza crust , who's dough had been incorporated into this new dough.   The photos attached here are from this pizza... which I will say was a 'almost failed' pizza, certainly not a pizza I could brag about to my friends. Although given the pictures I'm sure I could tell you all it was great and you would have no real way to know it wasn't... but anyway, it wasn't that great really.  I'm not sure what to think about this whole batch of dough right now. ( I do have one remaining ball , that I'm going to use with additional cold ferment, if it isn't any good I may never attempt this type of formulation again, but honestly I don't know exactly what to think is causing it to be less then satisfactory ).