Author Topic: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
Jon,

That is sure a nice looking pizza!   ;D  Very good job.

Norma

Thank you Norma, you inspired me with your posts......as you have before ;D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
WOW, I gotta say, not too bad for a 1st time flight and a brand new process/dough. Came out like a NY/Neapolitan hybrid. Looked very crispy but more soft and chewy to eat. Wife thought a bit too much char, I thought about right (she's not much for char on pizza). Stone was about 620-630 at launch, cranked up a bit at the end. This will be my emergency dough for a long time, very happy with it. Did not try one with a bit of yeast added, will try that next, but by the looks of things probably not needed.

jon
Thanks jon....your info will help others fine tune this dough bake should they like to try it NY style.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
BTW, this was about a 400 gram ball rolled out to around 14.5-15". As I said it required a rest midway through the rolling because it had a lot of recoil. Even with the amount of rolling I could still see a lot of small bubbles in it, even though the bubbling in the finished pie was limited to the edges and no webbing was noted in those due to the lack of yeast and no extended fermentation as in traditional doughs. All and all, really surprised me with the finished results. I've tried buttermilk in doughs before that I did not have success with and found it burned very easy as I thought this would, but ended up finding this recipe quite durable. I look forward to a few more experiments with this!

jon

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
BTW, this was about a 400 gram ball rolled out to around 14.5-15". As I said it required a rest midway through the rolling because it had a lot of recoil. Even with the amount of rolling I could still see a lot of small bubbles in it, even though the bubbling in the finished pie was limited to the edges and no webbing was noted in those due to the lack of yeast and no extended fermentation as in traditional doughs. All and all, really surprised me with the finished results. I've tried buttermilk in doughs before that I did not have success with and found it burned very easy as I thought this would, but ended up finding this recipe quite durable. I look forward to a few more experiments with this!

jon

Nice job!
I think baking a largish NY style pie in the Blackstone is a tough challenge that you met,
keeping the edges from getting torched, not burning the bottom, general roundness.
How Norma does it consistently I can only imagine.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 12:05:12 AM »
Nice job!
I think baking a largish NY style pie in the Blackstone is a tough challenge that you met,
keeping the edges from getting torched, not burning the bottom, general roundness.
How Norma does it consistently I can only imagine.

Thank you, I will mention something I did not notice til the pie cooled and I cut it to put into the fridge for leftovers. It had about a 25-30% gum line. Not off putting at all while eating hot and even taking a bite cold wasn't bad, but it was distinctly apparent looking at a new cut edge after cooled, and BTW that was sliced with a bread knife vs the pizza cutter wheel so I could get that close look. Something to work on. Maybe try a par-bake?? Speaking of, I have a chunk about 100 grams left over. I think I'll give the BS a quick re-heat, roll it out, dock it and see how a mini par-bake will look 6 hours out :chef:

jon
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:55:14 AM by Jackitup »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 02:18:55 AM »
100 gram leftover piece of dough, roughly 6 hours from making, still at room temp. Rolled out thin to 10", docked and launched on the BS stone at 650. If I had a stack of these and some Lebanese olives with Aleppo flakes, some of that lemon garlic sauce, or just about any freaking thing I would have ruptured myself :drool: This was so simple and so good, done like this, a keeper for sure!! Would have been awesome with Mexican fare too. Some charcuterie, cheeses, dips........ Here's a few pics showing top, bottom, profile and tore into 4 pieces. I was planning on grilling Delmonico chuck steaks tomorrow, will have to do a stack of these to boot! Maybe try to make some of that Lebanese garlic sauce too. Some baby reds and white potatoes and fresh beans from the farmers market and an extra long bike ride to pay for it all. Honestly, this recipe is worth it just to make the flatbread/chapati/tortilla-ish things. Rosie loved it even waking her up to try it at midnite :-D Great with just butter!!

jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 08:34:43 AM »
100 gram leftover piece of dough, roughly 6 hours from making, still at room temp. Rolled out thin to 10", docked and launched on the BS stone at 650. If I had a stack of these and some Lebanese olives with Aleppo flakes, some of that lemon garlic sauce, or just about any freaking thing I would have ruptured myself :drool: This was so simple and so good, done like this, a keeper for sure!! Would have been awesome with Mexican fare too. Some charcuterie, cheeses, dips........ Here's a few pics showing top, bottom, profile and tore into 4 pieces. I was planning on grilling Delmonico chuck steaks tomorrow, will have to do a stack of these to boot! Maybe try to make some of that Lebanese garlic sauce too. Some baby reds and white potatoes and fresh beans from the farmers market and an extra long bike ride to pay for it all. Honestly, this recipe is worth it just to make the flatbread/chapati/tortilla-ish things. Rosie loved it even waking her up to try it at midnite :-D Great with just butter!!

jon

Jon,

Wow, you are taking the 2 ingredient dough to a whole new level!   ;D The flatbread/chapati/tortilla-ish things look really good.  You achieved nice browning and a good crumb.  I am glad to hear Rosie loved them even after waking her up at midnight to try them.  :-D What would you say the flatbreads tasted like?  Do they have a yogurt flavor, or a flavor of their own? They looked a little crispy.  Were they? 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 10:12:46 AM »
They tasted just like a really good flatbread should, I wish they had a bit more of that yogurt taste coming thru, though the flavor is great, I wouldn't be able to put a finger on it, maybe a bit more salt. Texture was a bit midway between soft when picked to a good chew when you bite into it, but not too chewy, right where I like it, and no not crispy. Wonder how they would do as a 'fry bread' rolled out a bit thicker?? Hmmmmmm......

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 10:15:51 AM »
Maybe try a longer proof today using yeast and Craig's yeast table so just a small amount would be used and see how that goes

jon

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: Yesterday at 10:19:12 AM »
@Jackitup  Great job on those flatbreads. I am going to try my luck at that when my Blackstone arrives next week.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 10:22:46 AM »
MIght try this with a gluten-free self rising flour for the wife.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 10:41:31 AM »
Jon,

When I first saw the recipes that PrimeRib cited, my first thought was naan flatbreads made with yogurt. Seeing your flatbreads, I did a search this morning and found this: http://www.littlespicejar.com/2-ingredient-naan-flatbread-garlic-naans/. That recipe also calls for self-rising flour in addition to the yogurt.

Peter

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: Yesterday at 11:10:40 AM »
That naan recipe look good. I noticed it calls for 1.5 cups Greek yogurt to 3.3 cups self rising flour. That volume ratio is, in my opinion, much better than the ratios in the three links in Post 1. The three links in Post 1 all call for a yogurt:flour volume ratio of 1:1 or 1:1.5, which my testing shows was too wet.

Anyone try this and have a volume ratio or bakers percentage formula they think works best? 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 11:55:59 AM »
Pretty close aren't they.
 I started another ball, weighing the ingredients this time.
500g HG self rising home mix
560 Fage NF Yogurt
extra 1 scant tsp salt
about 1g of yeast dissolved in warm yogurt
kneaded into a very soft ball after starting in the food processor, covered and re-kneaded twice til nice and smooth. Will rest til later this evening

ps.....this Fage yogurt is much thicker, less moisture than others. Very thick and silky, worth the price I guess, very, very good eating!!

jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #94 on: Yesterday at 12:15:57 PM »
Jon,

Your self-rising flour and Fage 0% Greek yogurt dough ball looks very nice.  I agree that the Fage yogurt is much thicker, with less moisture, than some other yogurts.  I have been eating Fage yogurt for about a little over a year every morning.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #95 on: Today at 12:47:50 AM »
I made 8 flatbread/naans tonite to go with the steak and potatoes tonite. Each ball was about 125 grams and tops were brushed with seasoned garlic butter just before going in the BS. Stone was 625-650. This deal is a keeper for sure. Had all 3 daughters over tonite and both grandaughters and the most fun was the oldest, 10 year old Ava helping me roll the dough out, she loves it, loved eating them too! I did 4 with a bit of cheese, not much, and 4 without. Had time to snap 1 pic of the finished naans and a piic of the steak. All the rolling out is a bit of a labor of love but when the mood hits, this is the go to recipe to try.

jon