Author Topic: Home oven- How to get it to run dryer?  (Read 258 times)

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Quest for a great dough! I found it, I found it!!
Home oven- How to get it to run dryer?
« on: Yesterday at 01:08:10 PM »
i've reading something on here regarding a deck oven and its ability to provide dry heat as opposed to a home oven. I started thinking and concluded that the mozz cheeze used at my local pizza joint appears to be a lot dryer from the onset and also when reheating a slice as opposed to the same cheeze used by me and cooked in a home oven. Is the cheeze on pies made at home picking up more moisture in comparision to a deck oven and if so, what is thew science behind that? I really prefer a dryer cheeze on my pies and was wondering if I leave the door ajar by a 1/4 inch and run cenvection, would that be a contributing factor? I realize I would make it impossible to maintain the 575 limit of my oven but perhaps willing to sacrifice a few degrees.

tks
Carl

Offline Tannerwooden

Re: Home oven- How to get it to run dryer?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:22:28 AM »
I realize I would make it impossible to maintain the 575 limit of my oven but perhaps willing to sacrifice a few degrees.
tks

I would be really surprised if a few degrees is all you lost. I don't know if convection ovens are different than standard electric, but my standard electric has a hole under one of my burners directly out of the oven. You can see it if you lift up the burner. Before I installed my turbo switch, I used to plug this hole with a rolled up piece of tinfoil.

What immediately occurs to me is air-drying your cheese. A lot of guys who make NP pies will dry their fresh mozz on some paper towels before using it.

I'm curious, are you seeing a bunch of steam or condensation on your glass while your pie bakes? I devoted a LOT of time and effort to getting a drier pie. A lot of that is in this post:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11994.0

Brian Spangler, owner/operator of Apizza Scholls chimed in and took that post is a different and FAR better direction. However, one of the things I used to do is make sure all my ingredients were as warm/dry as feasible before baking. My logic was that if the pie was warmer before going in the oven, it would take less time to get up to temp and therefore, I would be wasting less, precious BTU's. I suspect that you can get a drier pie this way. I now have an Uuni 2, which is a whole different ballgame. However, my process when I made pies in my home oven was to take most ingredients out at the same time as my dough, so it had the same 1 1/2 hour time to warm up to room temperature. Obviously, you can't do this for some things. Some ingredients will become unsafe (or at the least un-tasty) if they sit on the counter for an hour or more. I would sometimes even warm my sauce in a crock pot on it's lowest setting to save a few more BTU's from taxing the oven.

I also opened the oven as few times as possible once I learned the best preheat timing for my oven. Then, when I launched the pie, I would open the oven the bare minimum and leave it open for as short a period as possible. You lose SO much heat just by opening the door. Hot air absorbs moisture. The hotter, the better.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:25:23 AM »
what is thew science behind that?
tks

There is quite a lot of discussion on the science going on in an oven in this post:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37968.0

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:05:07 AM »
i've reading something on here regarding a deck oven and its ability to provide dry heat as opposed to a home oven. I started thinking and concluded that the mozz cheeze used at my local pizza joint appears to be a lot dryer from the onset and also when reheating a slice as opposed to the same cheeze used by me and cooked in a home oven. Is the cheeze on pies made at home picking up more moisture in comparision to a deck oven and if so, what is thew science behind that? I really prefer a dryer cheeze on my pies and was wondering if I leave the door ajar by a 1/4 inch and run cenvection, would that be a contributing factor? I realize I would make it impossible to maintain the 575 limit of my oven but perhaps willing to sacrifice a few degrees.

tks

Home ovens are designed to vent moisture pretty fast so you don't burn your face with a blast of steam when you open the door. I'd be surprised if deck ovens were meaningfully drier. Of course you can't compare gas to electric. Gas produces water vapor when it burns. Electric is pure dry heat.

Cheese doesn't pick up moisture from the air. Rather, it gives off moisture to the air. If the air around the pie has a higher humidity, that might make it happen slower, but I doubt if that is one of the biggest factors. I think finding a drier cheese and/or a longer bake time is what you should focus on.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:05:36 AM »
There is quite a lot of discussion on the science going on in an oven in this post:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37968.0

Completely different question.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:10:14 AM »
Completely different question.
So, you think a thread which discusses, at length, what happens to water vapor at high heat (though, of course that is not the subject of the post) has no relevance to this question?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:13:02 AM »
So, you think a thread which discusses, at length, what happens to water vapor at high heat (though, of course that is not the subject of the post) has no relevance to this question?

The only question discussed in that thread was does the stone absorb water from the crust as it bakes. I don't see how that has any relevance to Carl's question? What am I missing?

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:26:27 AM »
The only question discussed in that thread was does the stone absorb water from the crust as it bakes. I don't see how that has any relevance to Carl's question? What am I missing?
I linked it because there is a lot of discussion/explanation in it about how humidity and water vapor react when you raise temperature.

Also, though Carl didn't ask about using a stone to suck water out of his dough, there are plenty of people who think this is the way to do it. Carl, you seem to have learned how to bake a great pie a LOT faster than I am. I'm pretty sure a lot of folks will be scouring this forum as I did, searching for ways to get drier pies. There are PLENTY of articles which recommend a more porous stone. I think Pete's excellent thread ought to be required reading!

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:41:05 AM »
Home ovens are designed to vent moisture pretty fast so you don't burn your face with a blast of steam when you open the door. I'd be surprised if deck ovens were meaningfully drier. Of course you can't compare gas to electric. Gas produces water vapor when it burns. Electric is pure dry heat.

Cheese doesn't pick up moisture from the air. Rather, it gives off moisture to the air. If the air around the pie has a higher humidity, that might make it happen slower, but I doubt if that is one of the biggest factors. I think finding a drier cheese and/or a longer bake time is what you should focus on.

Craig, I think your on to something. I asked what cheeze the corner joint uses on his pizzas, and he showed me a number or bricks he had just purchased from Costco. He shreds his and i buy mine at Sam'c Club shredded. I can't be 100% sure but I would think the moisture level is the same. What intrigues me with your response is the bake time. I get my stone to register 575 before I launch and get a bake in 6 min or so. My mindset is the the faster the better but now reconsidering. The pizza joint doesn't bake his pies that fast in his deck over. I know that for sure. I will drop the temp and perhaps aim for a 10 bake and see what happens. What other differences can I expect with an increased bake time ?

Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: Today at 10:46:04 AM »
There are PLENTY of articles which recommend a more porous stone.

And they are ALL wrong.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:49:39 AM »
And they are ALL wrong.
LOL, I know! Again, that's why I posted the link.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:50:16 AM »
What other differences can I expect with an increased bake time ?

It will probably be crispier and a bit tougher, AOTBE.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:01:26 AM »
It will probably be crispier and a bit tougher, AOTBE.
What does AOTBE mean?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:31:16 PM »
What does AOTBE mean?
All other things being equal

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:37:56 PM »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:54:27 PM »
What does AOTBE mean?
Tannerwooden,

For future reference, see the sticky under Forum Info at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.0.

Peter

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:59:45 PM »
Tannerwooden,

For future reference, see the sticky under Forum Info at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.0.

Peter

Great reference tool. i could have used this a number of times. I got stuck on EVOO for some time when I fist joined this site.  :)

tks
Carl

pizzapan