Author Topic: my adventure in pizza  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: my adventure in pizza
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
Pizza delivery. Illinois paper bag cracker crust. Micheleo's pizza.
Nice to be lazy every now and again....
But I know you can do waaay better yourself.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:10 AM »
Cracker crust turned out great. The thicker one is preccuto and basil. 10 day old dough that started as a poolish. Great flavor in the dough!!! Launched on BS at 650 stone temp.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
14 day old dough. Rolled. Launched at 670. Topped with tomato and basil.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »
Looks awesome!  What can you say about the differences in the dough from a few days old, to 10 days, to 14 days? Taste? Texture? Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »
Looks awesome!  What can you say about the differences in the dough from a few days old, to 10 days, to 14 days? Taste? Texture? Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Don
flavor flavor deep flavor. A couple days you can taste the flavor diffrence vs same day dough. After 10 days it was a deep flavor and 14 was basically the same as 10 day. I wonder if it stops building flavors after a certain point

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
flavor flavor deep flavor. A couple days you can taste the flavor difference vs same day dough. After 10 days it was a deep flavor and 14 was basically the same as 10 day. I wonder if it stops building flavors after a certain point
dogboy,

I would say yes. My experience with geriatric doughs was similar to yours. But if you go out too far, the flavors start to go funky. In my case, I saw that with a dough that had cold fermented for around 23 days.

If pronounced but still pleasant flavors are your objective, I would say that a 6-10 days is a reasonable window.

Peter

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 02:56:47 PM »
Ty peter. I wasn't sure if it was still going to be good after 10 but now I know I can wait longer.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 03:05:12 PM »
24 hour old poolish room temp. Then after 24 hours I added the rest of flour and water.  24 hour re fridge rise.  10 oz dough balls.
I mix by hand so I made a triple batch which was to much by hand to get together.  Still finished the dough and I've noticed some small dough balls in the dough. Maybe 48 hours or more the dough will eat it up? I have 12 10 oz dough balls.
Sauce is SM from yard. Peperoni and fresh cheese. Finished with a little garlic salt. Fresh basil and parmesean cheese.  It was a little wet sauce but good.

Launched at 650 to 680 stone temp.
I want to learn how to get the big spider webbing in the dough? I'm using KABF.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 03:09:57 PM »
Ty peter. I wasn't sure if it was still going to be good after 10 but now I know I can wait longer.

dogboy,

Very few doughs can make it out to ten days, but if yours can do so it perhaps can go longer. The key to longevity is keeping everything as cold as possible and using modest to small amounts of yeast. Adding the yeast toward the end of the mix can also help to extend the useful life of the dough. The tricks and techniques I used to extend the dough useful life are discussed in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3985.0.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 09:16:05 PM »

I want to learn how to get the big spider webbing in the dough? I'm using KABF.
Stretch an folds, high hydration, AP flour, high BS temp should get you right there Dog.   :chef:
Choose any of the above...the more the better.  ;D

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 09:59:14 PM »
KABF.  65to70% hydration and stretch but no fold. I'll try stretch and folds!! Ty. 10 doughs left to practice with this week. Tonight was a rolled thin crust. It stuck to the peel at launch.
The other is a pita bread or as I call it samoon which is iraqi bread. For samoon this was a touch over done.  It was stretched and  "flapped".. not sure the proper term. But you hold 5 he ends and side and flap it lol. It fluffed up well and cut easy down the center with a bread knife.  Filled it with tabula.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 10:09:47 PM »
KABF.  65to70% hydration and stretch but no fold. I'll try stretch and folds!! Ty. 10 doughs left to practice with this week. Tonight was a rolled thin crust. It stuck to the peel at launch.
The other is a pita bread or as I call it samoon which is iraqi bread. For samoon this was a touch over done.  It was stretched and  "flapped".. not sure the proper term. But you hold 5 he ends and side and flap it lol. It fluffed up well and cut easy down the center with a bread knife.  Filled it with tabula.
Tasty eats!
The stretch and folds are done to the fresh made dough before you begin fermentation.