Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 57876 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #220 on: December 19, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
About 10-12 years ago, I always used to do a preferment. Oddly, considering prefermenting is not exactly for beginners, this was when I was what I'd now consider pretty much a beginner (even though I thought I was the effin' man at the time). I got the preferment idea from one of the owners of a really good Italian restaurant where I used to work (as a banquet server at the time), after he told me the basic idea of how they made their pizza dough. Their pizza was a minor menu item, and their techniques were what I'd now consider very amateur (rolling pin, using pasta sauce from the line, etc.), but I loved their pizza, and I probably would now, too.

When I started making dough based on what the owner had told me, I'd do a 12 or 24-hour preferment. I think I used 2 TBS of sugar per pound of flour. (What was I thinking?) From what I remember about my pizzas, your pizza looks a lot like my pizzas from those days (although I'm sure you don't use anywhere near that much sugar). Particularly the blisters. That's why I asked. Even if I hadn't already known you sometimes use prefermented dough, I probably still would have wondered if this dough used a preferment.

Going back to the question where I asked myself "What was I thinking?," I actually remember what I was thinking. I was thinking, "This Alton Brown guy sure seems to know what he's talking about, so I'll do what he told me to do."

The funny thing is that I remember not liking my straight dough crusts for a long time after I stopped doing the preferment. Yet when I stopped doing the preferment, I never did it again, and I'm not sure why. I should try it again sometime soon (but not with 2TBS of sugar).

Ryan,

For me the dough I have made using a preferment is the best tasting crust I've ever made.  I do a 15hr room temp and then a 48-72hr cold rise most of the time.  This dough is about 2% sugar.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #221 on: December 19, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
Ryan,

For me the dough I have made using a preferment is the best tasting crust I've ever made.  I do a 15hr room temp and then a 48-72hr cold rise most of the time.  This dough is about 2% sugar.

Nate

Looks like my sugar content was about 4.58%. That's nuts. Since I think my recipe at the time may have been based originally on Alton Brown's "Flat is Beautiful" recipe (but probably altered in some areas), that probably means I used something like 2-1/4 tsp of yeast (or whatever is the equivalent of one packet). That comes out to about 1.4% ADY. In case I haven't implied this very well, I'm not a fan of Alton Brown. (Seems like he's fading into obscurity now, which I think is a very good thing for future new pizzamakers.)

I remember my prefermented crust tasting awesome, too. Especially how it interacted with sauce. I'll have to do a preferment again soon, but with not-crazy ingredient quantities. I'm sure you've shared your formula somewhere (and I'm sure I've seen it). If so, can you point me to where I may find it?

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Tonight's pies... marinara... margherita... cheese

All using .1% cake yeast, caputo 00, 60% hydration, 2% salt.  48 hours in regular cold fridge.. 24 hours at 62 degrees to rise.  1 hour out before bake time.

Sauce was the new Alessi/Vigo San Marzano, drained and run through food mill.  Salt, garlic powder EVOO

Bufalo Mozzarella from Costco

Blackstone... launched at about 780 degrees

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Oh, the shame.......
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
This will need to be posted on the "wall of shame" - a failure to launch became a gross looking calzone.  At least the ingredients tasted good.

I wonder if I should start the "Thread of Shame"

:-[

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »
This will need to be posted on the "wall of shame" - a failure to launch became a gross looking calzone.  At least the ingredients tasted good.

I wonder if I should start the "Thread of Shame"

:-[

Only if you wish. Might be entertaining and more of us could post there.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Only if you wish. Might be entertaining and more of us could post there.

Mark

^^^.  I think it would be hilarious.
Mary Ann

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
I started the thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29237.0.html

But, so far, no takers.   :'(

I am pretty sure I am not the only one that has ever completely messed up a pie.   :P

- Mitch

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
After being frustrated the other day with my "failure to launch  :'(", I was happy to have the opportunity to bake another pie or 2 last night.  We were actually making fresh homemade pasta and meatballs for ourselves and our neighbors.  Not being sure if their little one would eat the main dish, I made a couple of doughs so that I could make her a pizza (uh huh, that was the only reason  8)). 

Turns out she was game for the main meal and these room temperature 28 hour fermented Ischia doughs looked like they would go to waste.  I put them in the fridge and decided today that a dough was a terribly thing to waste so I refired the oven and made meatball pizza for lunch.

My wife delivered the second pie to the same neighbors in case they were not still full from last night.

The meatballs and Roberta, the pie and and an "I want it" look.....

- Mitch

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
Not pizza but dough.

30% sourdough starter at 120% hydration, bread flour.
 100% flour (difference from starter, high gluten)
68% water
.7% sugar
1%salt

Only difference is I used growing fed starter as the preferment. I doubled a small amount until it was growing rapidly on the counter. Made something like 6lbs of dough lol. Basically an American style ciabatta
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #229 on: December 24, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
White Christmas pie.

I forgot to turn down the heat in the Blackstone with the low-moisture shredded mozz, so I had to pull about 30 seconds early.  I would have liked more color on the crust, but it was really good.

Ricotta, shredded whole milk mozz, garlic, evoo, and parmesan.

Offline boalpd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
Garlic, mayo and feta spread with klamatta olives and sundried tomatoes par baked then topped with spinach, red onion and more feta. Fazzari 5 stretch and fold on a 3 day cold ferment, Everyone loves it.
Phil

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »
1/1/14, my New Years resolution, "make better pies". I did it!!! :o  This one's ROUND!  :-D

Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
1/1/14, my New Years resolution, "make better pies". I did it!!! :o  This one's ROUND!  :-D

Mark
Congrats Mark! That pizza sure is round.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

amyamrap

Da Kine Pie
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:04 AM »

Da Kine Pie

Two months ago I'd never mixed flour and water. For the past two months I've ate, slept and (what's that third one, I forget) pizza. I've latched on to a formulation that I tweak this way and that just to see what happens. KABF, 24-48 cold. I've modified the kitchen range with stones in an effort to squeeze out the max heat. I dress fairy light.

I've never cottoned to Hawaiian pizza but now, while I'm a Kitchen Aid jockey journeyman, is the time to research, learn, think, and experiment. I had to decide what Hawaiian pizza was. I'm easy: no tomato and two tropical foods.

I may be new to pizza making but I am a master caramelizer. I caramelized 1 LB pineapple in a full reduction of 8 oz pineapple juice. Sweet, thick, much texture.. very pineappley! I was PO-ed I forgot to save some for my ice cream. Mixed with a a few tbs of caramelized sweet onions, a few of soy sauce, 15 drops of smoke and it was the sauce.

Dough was 24 hours cold, 2 hours ~70, 7 grams extra water, two times IDY.iNce but hard for me  to form, as usual. Tried the (coughlameocough) slap from hand to hand but my tyro mistakes put it out of round. Then transfer it to my trusty 12" perf pan.

After drizzling with olive oil and dusting with garlic granules I hailed from above with my new Kirkland pink salt. The first fancy salt I've ever bought. As I told my wife.. now that I've relieved her of the pizza making chore, expense will be of no concern when it comes to equipment or ingredients. The coarse grind added a sparkle, nice. (I worked as a salt miner 1,500 feet under Lake Erie.. it's true.)

The caramelized pineapple sauce was very moist but still had to be spread on. Used about half of what was made. 6 oz fresh mozzarella, 24 Spam medallions, roasted red bell peppers, jalapeno rings, banana pepper rings, sliced scallion bulbs, and black pepper. VG :)

TY PMF!!

Here is a trailer to a long forgotten caramelization project of mine and pics of Da Kine Pie:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9UrXUXFx0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9UrXUXFx0</a>
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:25:06 AM by amyamrap »

amyamrap

Re: Da Kine Pie
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »
PS: The orange glop in the first pic is pure caramelized pineapple and pineapple juice.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:20:20 AM by amyamrap »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
Congrats on your accomplishments. Your pie looks very nice from above, colorful... but SPAM ??? :o :(

amyamrap

« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
Congrats on your accomplishments. Your pie looks very nice from above, colorful... but SPAM ??? :o :(

Thanks for the compliment; it's not as hard to make a good looking pie as it is to make a good pie, lol. Of course Spam, it's da kine! My Hapa Haole Pizza will feature kalua pork and The Kapai'i will be topped with ahi.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »
Haven't posted in awhile.  Here's two NY style pies one plain and one with Vermont Smoke & Cure pepperoni. 
Mary Ann

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2014, 06:30:45 PM »
Mary Ann, nice pies! How do you get the pepperoni to stay near the cornice? Mine always likes to run to the middle.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:32:33 PM by mkevenson »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  I try to build up littles cradles of cheese to hold the pepperoni slices in place and then launch pie carefully into the oven to avoid shifting.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much  :-D
Mary Ann

pizzapan