Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 77445 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
wow, lots of beautiful pizzas above

here are some from last night

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:15 AM »
A couple pies using the Pizza Steel in my home oven.  First one is a classic Margherita, second one is topped with ground Berkshire pork seasoned with fennel and crushed red peppers, pasilla peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and scallions.  Both pizzas have fresh mozzerella and parmigiano reggiano and are finished with DOP extra virgin olive oil and Himalayan pink crystal salt.

Dough is 65% Caputo 00, 10% semolina, 25% KA all-purpose.  Cold fermented 72 hrs.

Sauce is 6-in-1 straight out of the can.

Great looking pizza SF.  What was your hydration, how much yeast (kind), and did you use oil or sugar?

Thanks for posting!

-Tim

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
Here's from yesterday - pepperoni pie and a pesto pie. I can't remember who posted it here but I decided to go with someone's advice about using pepperoni sliced one notch above shaved, I might try another notch up but I like how crispy it cooked up, it was like a thin blanket of meaty goodness on top of my pies :)
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
Nice crumb! How'd you get them holes in the pepperoni? ???

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Nice crumb! How'd you get them holes in the pepperoni? ???

Mark

I guess it's from how thin it was sliced, I went to my deli and asked for a 1/4 lb of boars head pepperoni sliced one notch above shaved. The guy at the counter wasn't thrilled to do it, can't blame him.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
Great looking pizza SF.  What was your hydration, how much yeast (kind), and did you use oil or sugar?

Thanks for posting!

-Tim

Thanks!

I'm one of those stubborn DIYers who doesn't weigh my ingredients.  I put a teaspoon of active dry yeast, a teaspoon of salt, and half a teaspoon of sugar in a bowl, then add water til it looks about "right".  Admittedly, I am holding the bowl under the running tap so besides eyeballing the water level I am also "weighing" it in my hands.  After proofing the yeast, I again eyeball the flour.  First the semolina, then the 00, then finish it off with KAAP. I like to get the dough so that it is just dry enough to handle, but still pretty sticky.  Then I let it rise in the fridge for 8-12hrs, after which I punch it down and knead it for about 5 minutes.  At this point I divide it into 8 approximately equal pieces and put them into covered plastic containers which have been greased with olive oil and put them in the fridge for anywhere from 3 days to a week or longer.  At some point around 2 days I will punch them down again. By that time they will absorb the oil that was used for lubrication, but it is probably less than 1/2 tsp per dough.

Although not weighing the ingredients would never fly in a professional environment, for my purposes it works just fine.  My results are fairly consistent, though there is a small variation from batch to batch which I rather enjoy. Unless I am having a number of people over I usually only make 1-3 pies at a time, saving the rest of the dough for subsequent days.  It's interesting to note how the character of the dough changes over time.

For most occasions I bake them in my home oven set on broil.  Deck temp can get close to 600F, and they bake in about 5 minutes.  If I'm making 4 or more though (and it's not raining), I'll fire up the Little Black Egg. I try to keep the deck temp in the mid-700s, and they bake in about 3 minutes.

Thanks for your interest!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:38:24 PM by SlideSF »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Thanks!

I'm one of those stubborn DIYers who doesn't weigh my ingredients.  I put a teaspoon of active dry yeast, a teaspoon of salt, and half a teaspoon of sugar in a bowl, then add water til it looks about "right".  Admittedly, I am holding the bowl under the running tap so besides eyeballing the water level I am also "weighing" it in my hands.  After proofing the yeast, I again eyeball the flour.  First the semolina, then the 00, then finish it off with KAAP. I like to get the dough so that it is just dry enough to handle, but still pretty sticky.  Then I let it rise in the fridge for 8-12hrs, after which I punch it down and need it for about 5 minutes.  At this point I divide it into 8 approximately equal pieces and put them into covered plastic containers which have been greased with olive oil and put them in the fridge for anywhere from 3 days to a week or longer.  At some point around 2 days I will punch them down again. By that time they will absorb the oil that was used for lubrication, but it is probably less than 1/2 tsp per dough.

Although not weighing the ingredients would never fly in a professional environment, for my purposes it works just fine.  My results are fairly consistent, though there is a small variation from batch to batch which I rather enjoy. Unless I am having a number of people over I usually only make 1-3 pies at a time, saving the rest of the dough for subsequent days.  It's interesting to note how the character of the dough changes over time.

For most occasions I bake them in my home oven set on broil.  Deck temp can get close to 600F, and they bake in about 5 minutes.  If I'm making 4 or more though (and it's not raining), I'll fire up the Little Black Egg. I try to keep the deck temp in the mid-700s, and they bake in about 3 minutes.

Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for the nice write-up Slider.  I'm always amazed at the beautiful pies that experienced pizza makers can produce by "eyeballing."  If you ever get the urge to weigh your ingredients as you eyeball them, a lot of us here would sure be interested. 8)  I agree with you that it's fun to have variations in the pizza based on things like fermentation time and cooking techniques. 

Best,

Tim

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
Pie from a few days ago...

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline redox

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »
Now that's a very pretty pie!

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2013, 02:30:32 AM »
That's what I'd call a Deluxe Pizza.  Looks great!

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »

Good lookin pie, do you know what size it was?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »
These pies were made about 5 months before I joined the forum and before I learned that I was holding my iPad upside down to take pictures  :-X. A Hawaiian pie and a regular cheese pie  :drool:
Mary Ann

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
Not that the other pies don't look great, but @Essen1 that's a thing of beauty!   

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »
Chicago: Tavern Pizza

A traditional tavern pizza served around Chicagoland....thin, crispy

45% hydration high gluten
5% OO (Pure)
.5 Sugar
.3 yeast
1.75% sea salt
2 day retard
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:10:34 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
Too cold and windy to do pizza outdoors today.  Oven baked (475F) on a stone, bottom rack.  Home smoked chicken (used an SRG), smoked pepper jack, and smoked mozzarella (cheeses cold smoked in a Bradley).  Black olives and heirloom tomatoes.  Simple, but very tasty.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline solidusraven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2013, 12:05:13 AM »
This pie was made with roasted red bell peppers, mushrooms, diced onions, sausage, artichokes, and lots of love. Cooked the way it looks for about 6-7 minutes. Switched back to san marzano tomatoes after missing the taste of the sauce. The sauce as always was uncooked, crushed the tomatoes to give it a nice thickness to the sauce and a lil tiny bit of chunkiness. Seasoned with 3 cloves of garlic, oregano, thyme, and left basil seeds so it can marinade over a day. Dough was mixed by hand using 5 cups of pillsbury flour, and 2 cups of water, yeast, salt, and etc. As I mixed the dough I gave it 3-4 min to rest then mixed about 3 times. After I saw the smoothness I wanted I then knitted it 4-5 times until it had the smoothness that I wanted. 32 hours later I let this rest outside the refrigerator for 2 hours. Would have to say my favorite toppings and favorite pie. I call this my mama mia pie haha. The ingredients were cooked as well because most of these ingredients are high moisture ingredients such as the mushrooms and roasted bell peppers, and artichokes.

Offline barkonbutts

• Nothing Like Fresh Pizza
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
Here we go from the weekend. Turned out real nice and yummy!  Nice little margarita pizza... ate the other half prior to pic... was a bit hungry.... ;D ;D

Maken Pizza For Enjoyment at Home!!

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »
Here we go from the weekend. Turned out real nice and yummy!  Nice little margarita pizza... ate the other half prior to pic... was a bit hungry.... ;D ;D

That's some delicious looking pizza right there, my cheese-tooth is aching  :drool:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
Good lookin pie, do you know what size it was?

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

That was an 18-incher.

Topped with bell peppers, red onions, sausage, pepperoni, black olives, spinach, garlic & mushrooms  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
Fresh out the oven, 12" NY style pepperoni pie (they're nestled underneath the mozz) with just a touch of smoked gouda. Cooked at 550F for 5:15.