Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 52497 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »
Here's a daily update... never...never ever use parchment paper under a pie that is going on to an 800 degree stone....don't you do that friends!   >:(

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

amyamrap

« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
Facing a few weeks of travel and I'm not liking the prospect of not being able to make doughs and this afternoon I worked myself into a panic thinking about it. Four hours later two pizza pies were found at the scene.

I'm a newbie who never mixed water and flour before three months ago so I used my standard recipe that I cobbled from the brain trust here. It works for me as a familiar baseline which I can tweak and see what happens.  Normally I do 24-48 CF but today straight to the counter.

KABF, 61% w., 1% ea. s. su. o. idy. Kitchen Aid ten mins. Divided into two 266 gram dough balls and set to rest at room temp in oiled plastic containers. Three hours later they "doubled" in size and the doughs were ready to be formed.

Sweet Sauce: 6 oz Kroger tomato sauce, 1 good TBS piloncillo, pinch NaCl, uncooked.

Oven at 550º. Baked on bottom rack on perforated pan on stone, 2nd stone on rack above.

Pie 1 (Not shown.) 12" Olive oil, ½ cup parmigiano-reggiano, sauce, another ½ cup parmigiano-reggiano, melange of caramelized onions and roasted red bell pepper.

Pie 2 (Shown.) 12" Olive oil, sauce, 5 oz Harry David sharp cheddar, chopped sweet onion, chopped jalapeno, pepperoni. Note the topping-lanche due to stone teetering on rack. Grr!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:56:47 AM by amyamrap »

Online dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42:05 AM »
Note the topping-lanche due to stone teetering on rack.

How are you getting your pizza into the oven? Are you making it on the stone then transferring the stone to the oven?

amyamrap

« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:30 AM »
How are you getting your pizza into the oven? Are you making it on the stone then transferring the stone to the oven?

The stones never leave the oven. Pie is built on a perforated pan and pie and pan are placed on stone in oven.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
I know I posted this on another thread, but I really like this photo.

My Neapolitan journey is finally in gear since getting the Blackstone.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
Hi Bob,

I don't put parchment paper on a 800-degree oven.  I let it slide off the parchment paper.  Although, I have had the edge of the paper catch fire, so I now turn off the flame (and the motor) on the Blackstone for the launch.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »
Hi all! It has been a while since I posted here, but I am still making pizzas! Here is on from last Sunday.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
Facing a few weeks of travel and I'm not liking the prospect of not being able to make doughs and this afternoon I worked myself into a panic thinking about it. Four hours later two pizza pies were found at the scene.

I'm a newbie who never mixed water and flour before three months ago so I used my standard recipe that I cobbled from the brain trust here. It works for me as a familiar baseline which I can tweak and see what happens.  Normally I do 24-48 CF but today straight to the counter.

KABF, 61% w., 1% ea. s. su. o. idy. Kitchen Aid ten mins. Divided into two 266 gram dough balls and set to rest at room temp in oiled plastic containers. Three hours later they "doubled" in size and the doughs were ready to be formed.

Sweet Sauce: 6 oz Kroger tomato sauce, 1 good TBS piloncillo, pinch NaCl, uncooked.

Oven at 550º. Baked on bottom rack on perforated pan on stone, 2nd stone on rack above.

Pie 1 (Not shown.) 12" Olive oil, ½ cup parmigiano-reggiano, sauce, another ½ cup parmigiano-reggiano, melange of caramelized onions and roasted red bell pepper.

Pie 2 (Shown.) 12" Olive oil, sauce, 5 oz Harry David sharp cheddar, chopped sweet onion, chopped jalapeno, pepperoni. Note the topping-lanche due to stone teetering on rack. Grr!
I think your pizza looks real good. How is the bottom browning for you...what is the bake time. You know you can always whip that perforated pan out from under the pizza after a couple minutes if you are trying for a lil more NY style crispness.
Also, my local Kroger carries can of "6 in 1" ground tomatoes....that would be a night and day difference in taste between their "house" brand.

Bob

Offline One Eyed Jack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »
Great looking pies guys!

Online dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
Poolish pizza dough with mozzerela,  basic homemade basil cheese and parsley. Crushed tomatos with strawberry jam.

amyamrap

« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
I think your pizza looks real good. How is the bottom browning for you...what is the bake time. You know you can always whip that perforated pan out from under the pizza after a couple minutes if you are trying for a lil more NY style crispness.
Also, my local Kroger carries can of "6 in 1" ground tomatoes....that would be a night and day difference in taste between their "house" brand.

Bob

Thanks.. I think they are good too. My confidence working with dough increases with each pie.

My oven set up has delivered with a one hour 550º preheat, a hot stone under the pan and a hot stone on the rack over the pan. Nice taste, texture, and rich golden color. Not the ultimate but the lower circles of Heaven are pretty nice too.

That said.. after owning my stove for 14 years I've just noticed there is an even lower rack position than I thought. My most recent pie (above) was cooked on this new lower position. My bake time went from a reliable 10 mins to 8 mins 45 secs and the bottom and rim crusts held a much darker char and a much more complex character. I look forward to experimenting with this new availability.

Also I looked at my feet and realized I've been walking on 2,500 square feet of quarry tile (Saltillo) for over a decade. I have several extra tiles (including the dark brown manganese type) put aside and will try cooking with those, too. I'm optimistic :)

Good idea yanking the pan out after a bit.. I'm gonna try that. I'm also interested in trying out a cutter pan soon.

As per the tomaters, they were what I had in the pantry, same with the Harry David cheese, lol. I wanted a sweet, unsophisticated sauce and I got it. Eventually when I have my own signature sauce it will likely be Pomi plain and uncooked.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:15:10 PM by amyamrap »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
Eventually when I have my own signature sauce it will likely be Pomi plain and uncooked.
Every thing sounds great Amy....you've been doing your homework.  ;)
Pomi is not very highly regarded for pizza sauce....you definitely have right idea about "not cooked" for your sauce. I'll be looking out to see what you come up with for seasoning/spices in your upcoming sauce, thanks.  :chef:

Bob

amyamrap

« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
Pomi is not very highly regarded for pizza sauce..

I believe you but I've had an affinity with Pomi for a long time. I will taste them critically when I use them next. In what ways do they lack?

I can't see spicing my sauce at all. Maybe a bit of sugar if I have I have a pie that needs a sweet note.

I won't worry about sauce for now, though. I want to get to know my way around the doughs first. I figure it will take about 2 years of 2 pies a week for the dawn to break.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:53:19 PM by amyamrap »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »
I want to get to know my way around the doughs first. I figure it will take about 2 years of 2 pies a week for the dawn to break.
Oh, we can ramp that much quicker Amy...time is precious... :)

Bob

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #294 on: January 19, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
Happy results last night - the boss approved.   :chef:

50/50 KABF / GM Neapolitan Hearth Flour
61.5% hydration, 2.7% salt
Fermented around 32 (28 @ 61degrees) hours with approx.  9% Ischia

1 Asparagus pie with pancetta, fontina & parmigiana
2 Sun Dried tomatoes with pesto and some pine nuts, mozzarella and parmigiana

Both baked at approx. 750/2.5 minutes

We have a new puppy in the house (Charlie passed in April and it was time for the new family add) - "Estee" - my new Sous Chef!  :o

- Mitch

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
Great looking pies, Mitch. Estée is adorably fluffy!
Mary Ann

Offline Seven

« Reply #296 on: January 19, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
Pepperoni pizza baked on my aluminum plate, roughly 4.5 minutes with 2.5 under the broiler. Also did a white with cured olives but pulled it too early.

Offline Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
Here's my latest attempt. Still a rookie but making progress. Was attempting NY style and the only complaint was crust was a little too thick.

I was shooting for a 6Hr room temp rise at consistent temp of 67F.
Formula used was;
Flour -100%
Water -62%
IDY -.3%
Salt -1.75%
Oil -1%

Mixed and kneaded dough in bread machine for about 8 mins. Hand kneaded for another 2 mins, formed into dough ball, lightly oiled and set in covered glass pyrex boil to ferment. Using Craig's yeast prediction model, the dough should have been ready to bake between 6-7 Hrs. I had to use at 6.5 Hrs. due to time constraints and should have allowed another Hr or so but the dough had almost tripled at the 6.5 Hr point.

Topped with homemade sauce consisting of Cento brand Imported Italian whole tomatoes (pureed & drained) salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning added. Shredded whole milk mozzarella and provolone cheese (Sorrento), Hormel pepperoni, hot Italian sausage, jalapeno pepper slices and a little fresh basil.

Baked in electric oven @ 550F on 16" pizza screen set on top of preheated stone for 10 mins. Moved under broiler for last 1 min.

Not there yet but getting better.
If you don't like the heat, move to Maine!

Offline waynesize

« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »
Had a 2 day dough that was 5 days old. Said "what the heck?" Was not bad.

Online dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
And again today!

pizzapan