Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 73735 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
I baked these on my little Breville electric pizza maker, so there's no way to increase the top heat without increasing the bottom heat. At least not that I have figured out yet. I like this little oven but as I gain more experience and see the pies others make I am noticing little things I would like to improve. Still very happy with this pizza maker. I could always go back to making them in the oven on my stone but this little Breville is faster, easier and doesn't heat up the whole house. So for now I will just keep trying different settings.

Maybe I need to try a different dough recipe. Although I like the one I've been using.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #541 on: March 27, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
I baked these on my little Breville electric pizza maker, so there's no way to increase the top heat without increasing the bottom heat. At least not that I have figured out yet. I like this little oven but as I gain more experience and see the pies others make I am noticing little things I would like to improve. Still very happy with this pizza maker. I could always go back to making them in the oven on my stone but this little Breville is faster, easier and doesn't heat up the whole house. So for now I will just keep trying different settings.

Maybe I need to try a different dough recipe. Although I like the one I've been using.

You could maybe try cooking on a screen. Do they make screens that small?

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #542 on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
You could maybe try cooking on a screen. Do they make screens that small?

What would the screen change / do? If it helps I will certainly try to find one.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #543 on: March 27, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
It can delay the browning of the bottom so you can cook the top longer.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #544 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
It can delay the browning of the bottom so you can cook the top longer.

Thanks I'll go looking for one and ...... now back to the thread topic. ;)

Offline Davydd

« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
I thought the oven spring came from the hot stone. I was not getting much cornicione on my Breville pizzas either until I did three things. One, is I paid more attention to stretching the pizza crust so as not to disturb or press on the edge. I watched a few Neapolitan videos to perfect that technique. Secondly, I started out with Breville's recommendation to bake on parchment paper. Like a screen that seems to insulate just enough to retard the oven spring. Lastly, I heated the Breville with its preheat mode for 30 minutes, got a better, smaller more manipulative peel to slide the pizza onto the stone as fast as possible and lifting the lid as little as possible to retain the heat. With a thin 220 gram crust for an 11 inch pizza I baked on the highest setting. The top heat source browns the crust but I don't think aids in the cornicione spring. There is not much control on the Breville. At least I don't see how you can force whether the top or bottom coil comes on. There are no controls that do that. What I am not getting is a good browning but potential burning up to a 10 minute bake. I doubt you can get the classic leoparding with the Breville. Here are my last three Breville baked pizzas as I described.
Davydd

Offline tberichon

« Reply #546 on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
Hillbilly,
Could you share your dough formula. Looks nice and airy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #547 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
Hillbilly,
Could you share your dough formula. Looks nice and airy.

Be happy to. I got the formula from this site but can't recall whose it is or where I got it but it is the second one I tried and liked it so just stuck with it.

Flour 100%
water 63%
IDY    0.2%
salt    1.75%
oil      2.0%
sugar 1.0%

I use the dough calculator with a TF of 0.1 to determine the weights of each ingredient to use for the size I am making. In my case it is 11" for the Breville and I end up with a desired ball weight of 269.4g

I leave it in the fridge to cold ferment for at least 2 days but I have used it at 5 days and it was still good. I think it is best around 3 days. It has a wonderful aroma when the storage container is opened. I have also frozen it and that doesn't seem to affect the quality. But I'm definitely no expert.

Enjoy

John
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:10:34 PM by Hillbilly »

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #548 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
I don't want to sidetrack this thread. So lets move the discussion about the Breville to that thread.

Offline tberichon

« Reply #549 on: March 29, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
Thanks Hillbilly.
Do you ferment in fridge 24-48  hrs?
I will add it to my spreadsheet and test next week.

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #550 on: March 29, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
That's right.

I'm not up to speed on how to make the dough properly and think I have just been lucky so far. I have tried using a bread maker to mix and the KA. I don't take dough temps and so far I haven't had one turn out bad. I have noticed that the dough at the front of the fridge will rise more and faster than the ones at the back. Probably opening the door too often to get beer. :)

Offline waynesize

« Reply #551 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
Tonight's pies. First was a cheese pie for the kids. Second was a busy one for my wife. Last was a pepperoni and mushroom with Bel Gioso fresh mozz, for me. (I like the Galbani fresh mozz better.)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #552 on: March 30, 2014, 12:10:10 AM »
Tonight's pies. First was a cheese pie for the kids. Second was a busy one for my wife. Last was a pepperoni and mushroom with Bel Gioso fresh mozz, for me. (I like the Galbani fresh mozz better.)
Yes sir....now that's how you get it done.  :chef:
Thanks for the eye candy tonight Wayne.

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waynesize

« Reply #553 on: March 30, 2014, 12:28:13 AM »
Bob, I was surprised in how different the bakes were for each pie. They were all baked for 5 minutes. I got the balance close on the third pie. Just don't have enough mass in my little stone to get the bottom just right. I did eat the entire pizza. It was real tasty.

Wayne

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #554 on: March 30, 2014, 12:38:41 AM »
They look great man and I was thinking maybe even a lil shorter bake than 5min.. except the kids(first pic) pie.
So you got a good oven going on there.
Give 'em a turn half way through...even out that nice "char".  :)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline cylint

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #555 on: March 30, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
This weekends pies.  Not getting a crispy enough bottom, although its not bad.  I am a heavy saucer, so that might be impacting it as well.  Also not sure how to work around the hotspot in the oven. They were delicious.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:27:50 PM by cylint »

Offline Seven

« Reply #556 on: March 30, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
This weekend's pizzas... pepperoni (half on top, half under the cheese) and a plain.  Both baked for 4 minutes on a 550 degree aluminum plate. 6 in 1 tomatoes run through the food mill, Foremost Farms whole milk mozzarella. Pizzas are 16 inches but the plain got out of round on the launch. The 19 inch screen makes a great cooling rack!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #557 on: March 30, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »
Detroit Style in blue steel pans, Chicago Pan, Sicilian Pan

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:49:55 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline dvanraes

« Reply #558 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
Here is my Sunday pizza...jalapeņo and cheese! Turned out pretty good for only a 4 hour rise.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:08:08 PM by dvanraes »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Sicilian! - Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #559 on: March 30, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
Today, I made a couple of Sicilian pies - my first tries.  The first pie came out ok, but a little too unbalanced - done more on the top than the bottom.  I made the second one with the pan on a lower shelf with a preheated stone under that.

Success!    :chef: Although the top and bottom were still not completely balanced - much better.  The flavor was terrific.  A little bit on the soggy side and I should have brought the sauce and cheese close to the edges (no need to have a ginormous crust going all around). 

But, we loved it.   ;D

Still not the same as the pies I grew up with in NY but a good start.  My WFO is going to get jealous if I neglect it so I will need to pay attention to that. 

Seems like I "need" to buy a new pan, too!

I will do this again.......

- Mitch
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:46:50 PM by mitchjg »

pizzapan