Author Topic: Sources for Pizza Ingredients in the Dallas Area  (Read 14409 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Sources for Pizza Ingredients in the Dallas Area
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 09:52:45 PM »
Cameron,

Today I found some Stella brand part-skim whole-milk mozzarella cheese, in slice form, at a Wal-Mart off of LBJ at MacArthur Blvd., in Irving. The cheese is in sealed 8-ounce packages. I also saw the Stella Provolone in similar packages, and also in tube form in the deli section. The Stella in slices is a new offering at Wal-Mart's so you may find it at other Wal-Mart locations near you.

Peter

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »
Each time I visit Jimmy's Food Store in Dallas, I either find something new or something I may have missed before.

This time I discovered that Jimmy's carries the Polly-O whole-milk low-moisture mozzarella cheese, which I saw in a slab in the refrigerated cheese/deli case. It is sold in any desired weight. In chatting with the fellow who served me, I also learned that Jimmy's carries a shredded mozzarella cheese from Grande, at $4.99 a pound. I didn't think to ask which Grande cheese it was, so I will have to ask next time.

Often Jimmy's features specials. Today, it was Parmigiano-Reggiano at $9.99 a pound. Now, that's a bargain.

Peter

Peter,

I use Polly-O exclusively on my pizzas and I get it from the Central Market in Plano.  This cheese gets turned regularly in  that store which I favor.  I also get CM's house provolone and use an 80-20 mixture, mozz to provolone.

I've been to Jimmy's at least three times and I'm really trying to like this place but they just don't merchandise their products very well.  However, I have been pleased with anything I've bought there - sausage, tinned tomatoes, pasta, homemade tomato sauce.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 07:10:03 PM »
I've been to Jimmy's at least three times and I'm really trying to like this place but they just don't merchandise their products very well

Scagnetti,

LOL. I know what you mean. They don't volunteer much about their products although they will answer all of the questions you ask and in great detail. Each time I squeeze a few more things out of them. Plus I really check out the deli cases and their dry goods, especially the canned tomatoes, which often leads me to more questions to ask them. I also check out the cheese board. They seem proud of their cheese selections and will readily give you samples.

I have been able to find the Polly-O at the Dallas Central Market, which is usually on my route whenever I go to Dallas to buy things. I also check out the Lower Greenville Whole Foods. I'm grateful to have Jimmy's, CM and WF all pretty close to each other. Plus Dawn Foods for flour.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
On my way to Dallas this morning, I stopped by Jimmy's for an update on their pizza ingredients and to buy a few items. This time I saw the Polly-O smoked whole-milk part-skim mozzarella cheese and the Polly-O fior di latte fresh mozzarella cheese. I inquired of the gal behind the counter whether there is a discount if one buys a whole brick of the Polly-O, either the regular or the smoked. The discount is $1. My recollection is that a brick weighs about 6 pounds. I had intended to ask about the Grande cheese but forgot. There was a sale on for the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, at $9.99 a pound. That's a bargain for the real deal.

I also noticed that Jimmy's carries a fairly wide selection of Sclafani canned tomatoes. This may not be a new line but the name jumped out at me since I recently read on another thread that some members are very fond of the Sclafani products. I did not see many other changes in the canned tomatoes department.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
Today (3/24/07), I made another trip into Dallas to replenish some of my pizza supplies. I checked in on Whole Foods, Central Market and Jimmy's. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed. It seemed to me that the selection of quality pizza ingredients that I like to use was less than in past trips, especially at Whole Foods and Central Market, where the mozzarella cheese offerings were fewer than before, both for fresh mozzarella cheese and processed mozzarella cheese. In fact, I found no processed mozzarella cheeses in Central Market and only one at Whole Foods, from an unknown (to me) California producer. Their canned tomato sections were pretty much the same as before. And both continue to sell the San Marzanos grown and packed in the U.S. with the labels in Italian that apparently fool a lot of people into believing that they are buying imported San Marzano tomatoes.

However, Jimmy's came through again. For the first time since I have been going there, Jimmy now carries the 6-in-1s. But only the #10 can size, at $4.99. There was a total of 5 such cans, so they are either selling or they are being tested. I also discovered that they sell the Grande shredded mozzarella cheese/provolone cheese combination, by the pound or by the bag (5 lb., I believe). They were out of the brick Polly-O whole-milk mozzarella cheese (which is sold by the piece or brick), but they had the Polly-O fior di latte (fresh mozzarella) in balls in tubs, one of which said the cheese balls were "cherry" size. The mozzarella/Provolone combo is the only Grande cheese sold by Jimmy's. The rest are mostly Polly-O products.

The rest of the inventory of pizza ingredients changed again. Each time I go to Jimmy's, one of more products from the last visit are gone and replaced with some new ones. This time it also looked like there were fewer 28-ounce or 35-ounce cans of tomatoes and more #10 cans. But always a big enough assortment to find something that will work.

I left with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese ($9.99 a pound), Locatelli Romano (they were out of Pecorino Romano), imported Provolone, a couple of pounds of the Grande mozzarella/Provolone blend, and a #10 can of 6-in-1s.

Peter

Offline DFW PizzaMan

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 07:38:45 PM »
I somehow missed the cheese as well, I was looking for it.

I'll have to go back again soon.

Offline sanchez

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 06:49:25 PM »
CAn someone explain this Escalon manufacture date a little better?  I must be remidial because I'm clueless.  I was excited that I finally found some 6-in-1's but now I look at the date printed on the can and I'm afraid my can was made all the way back in 2003 if I'm understanding this correctly.  The top of the can says

FRES3
2293J

Am I right?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »
sanchez,

If no member can decipher your codes, your best bet may be to go to the Escalon website at http://www.escalon.net/default.aspx (click on the Contact tab) and send an email. They are usually pretty good about responding to emails from our members.

Peter

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
Hey, Guys,
There is a chart on here somewhere, i think posted by Lydia a while back, that showed how to read the codes on top of the Escalon cans.
The problem is digging through the searches of Escalon for it.
Christopher

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
It's in Reply 14 of this thread, which is why I believe sanchez posted here.

Peter

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 08:18:59 PM »
Silly me.  :P

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 04:12:38 PM »
On my trip into Dallas today (12/29/07), I made my obligatory stop at Jimmy's, the rare Italian market to be found in Dallas. I was hoping to buy another #10 can of 6-in-1s but they were all out. When I asked the manager whether they were still stocking the 6-in-1s, I was told yes and the reason why they were out of those tomatoes was because a restaurant had bought out all of their remaining cans. I was able to find the Stanislaus counterpart, Tomato Magic, for $4.99. It was hidden way in the back of several #10 cans of various Stanislaus tomato products on the lowest shelf. I had to get on my hands and knees to locate it. The smaller cans (28 oz.) are $1.99. As most of our members know, the Tomato Magic tomatoes are like the 6-in-1s but with citric acid added. They still carry the LaValle's DOP San Marzano tomatoes. I don't remember the price per can, but they sell for $30 by the case (12 cans).

I also saw for the first time links of wild boar Italian sausage in the meat section. I bought a couple to try sometime, along with some of their regular Italian sausage (they sell mild and hot). The usual suspects--Grande shredded whole-milk/Provolone blend, Stella Provolone, Polly-O whole-milk mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano (at only $9.99 a pound, if you can believe it), and imported buffalo mozzarella cheese, were available as usual. I saw a block of the Calabro mozzarella cheese for the first time, but it was of the smoked variety. The regular Calabro mozzarella cheese is the cheese that was used many years ago by Pepe's in New Haven, CT. I will keep a lookout for that cheese the next time I am in the market.

I also stopped by the Central Market on Greenville Ave. and the nearby Whole Foods. I usually check to see if they have anything new in the way of canned tomatoes and cheeses. I saw nothing new to report. If anything, I think their selections of canned tomatoes and pizza cheeses have been on the decline over the past year.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
Yesterday (1/31/09) I decided to drive into Dallas to get a read on the current inventory of pizza ingredients from three of the places I usually go to for this purpose: Central Market at Greenville and Lovers Lane, Whole Foods at Lower Greenville, and Jimmy’s Food Store at Bryant and N. Fitzhugh. As I was planning my itinerary to make most efficient use of gasoline, I inadvertently discovered that Jimmy’s now has a website, at http://www.jimmysfoodstore.com/. While at the website, I signed up to receive their email newsletter even though I have no idea as to what, if anything, they will end up sending me. For those who have never been to Jimmy’s, their website is a good place to start to get the history of the place and to see their sandwich menu (the photos are mouthwatering), and the products they carry.

My first stop was Central Market. They were very busy, no doubt in great measure because people were stocking up for today’s Super Bowl game.  As usual, they had a very wide selection of cheeses usable on pizzas, but at their usual high prices. Not much changed in the way of canned tomatoes. They continue to sell the faux San Marzano tomatoes grown in the U.S. with the fancy Italian looking and sounding label, still at well over $3 a can (from Simpson Ltd.).  They did, however, have a fairly broad selection of Cento canned tomatoes, including some San Marzanos. They have never carried 00 flours, nor did they this time.

My next stop was Whole Foods. The slumping economy has been very hard on Whole Foods, as anyone who has held their stock for any time will attest. The store traffic was light, and it seemed that Whole Foods has scaled back on its product lines for many goods. I found a few pizza cheese choices but nothing like at The Central Market. They had a good selection of Muir Glen canned tomatoes, but at very high prices. Some of the items that I used to find in their bulk bins, like dried dairy whey, are no longer available. Even the Bob’s Red Mill diverse line of products seemed to have been scaled back. It was actually quite sad to see the changes. Usually I would find a lot of happy shoppers and a lot of energy to the place. This time it was eerily quiet.

My last stop was Jimmy’s Food Store. As I have noted before, going to Jimmy’s is always an adventure because you never know what you are going to find. Jimmy’s seems to carry just about everything but not always from the same suppliers. I arrived at around lunchtime. There were crowds of smiling and happy people milling about, inside and outside of the store, many of whom seemed to be ordering and eating Jimmy’s award-winning sandwiches and sampling wines from the extensive Italian wine selection. As usual, I checked on the pizza cheeses then in stock. This time it included the Polly-O fresh mozzarella cheese, the Calabro smoked mozzarella cheese, a shredded blend that I was told was the 50/50 blend of low-moisture part skim and low-moisture whole milk mozzarella cheeses from Grande, and domestic and imported Provolone cheeses. There were also fresh fior di latte and buffalo mozzarella cheeses, and several pepperoni and freshly made sausage offerings. As usual, they were selling the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the absurdly low price of $9.99 a pound. At Central Market and at Whole Foods, the prices for that cheese per pound were about double, and not as fresh looking (they were shrink wrapped) as what I got from Jimmy’s—right off of the wheel. I also bought some very nice Locatelli Romano cheese. I saw that they had the Grana Padano cheese but I did not buy any this time.

This time, I did not see any 00 flours but, as anyone who has ever been to Jimmy’s will tell you, their stocking methods are rather bizarre and the locations of where things are kept can change a lot from visit to visit. The selections of canned tomatoes, however, remains solid. I saw the Stanislaus Tomato Magic tomatoes (the counterpart to the Escalon 6-in-1s but with citric acid), in both the 28-oz. can ($1.99) and in the #10 can ($5.99). They also had #10 cans of the Stanislaus 7/11 ground tomatoes, Full Red diced tomatoes, and the Full Red California tomato paste. I also saw Cento, Sclafani and LaValle tomatoes. The LaValle tomatoes (San Marzanos) were on sale, although I neglected to write down the prices. I think it was around $25 for a case of 12 cans.

As a result of my visit this time, I have concluded that there is not much to be gained by going to Central Market or Whole Foods in search of pizza related ingredients. It is best to just stick with Jimmy’s. However, I will still make a point to check out Central Market. It is a fascinating place with selections that you will find in no other place in the Dallas area. One can easily spend hours in that store. Just bring a lot of money.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:09:06 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »
Peter,

Even the Bob’s Red Mill diverse line of products seemed to have been scaled back. It was actually quite sad to see the changes. Usually I would find a lot of happy shoppers and a lot of energy to the place. This time it was eerily quiet.

That does sound like a sad state of affairs.  For a long time I have been wanting a Whole Foods Market to move into my area, but their policy regarding population minimums (200,000 in a 20-minute radius) has prevented that from happening.  Now it sounds like Publix may be moving closer to parity with Whole Foods Market since their organic product line, including Bob's Red Mill products, has actually increased recently (in my area).

- red.november

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
Peter,

For those who have never been to Jimmy’s, their website is a good place to start to get the history of the place and to see their sandwich menu (the photos are mouthwatering), and the products they carry.

Those do look like great sandwiches.  Their muffuletta reminds me of a regional celebrity chef that's popular for making a great muffuletta among other things.  His "The Attorney" (http://www.chefimondi.com/menus/MenuPg2.jpg) is also a palate pleaser.

- red.november

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
One of the things I forgot to mention is that Jimmy's also sells pizza dough, for $2 a dough ball. I don't know who makes the dough and what the ingredients are but maybe I can ask the next time. But it occurred to me that someone could buy a few dough balls, get a can of the Stanislaus Tomato Magic tomatoes, some of the Grande 50/50 mozzarella cheese blend, some dried Sicilian oregano, some pepperoni and/or salami, and make some really fine pizzas. Or, if one is into pizza Margheritas, they can pick up a can of the LaValle San Marzanos, some fior di latte or imported buffalo mozzarella cheese, a fine extra virgin olive oil, and make some great pizza Margheritas. If one likes to use some Parmigiano-Reggiano or one of the other quality hard grating cheese, they are available. A nice bottle of Italian wine from their extensive collection, and you are good to go. Everything can be bought at one time.

One of the nice things I saw at Central Market was a large selection of fresh Texas-grown herbs, for $1 a bunch, including thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, sage and a few others. I bought the thyme, which I have been using fresh and plan to dry the rest. The herbs were one of the few real bargains at Central Market.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:09:53 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline mkc

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
Pete,

We've been Central Market fans ever since they opened the first store on Lamar in Austin.  The store in Southlake has hand-made mozzarella for quite a reasonable price.  They're owned by HEB, which is IMHO the best grocery option in Texas.  Unfortunately, no HEBs to be found in the Metroplex, but at least CM carries some of the HEB-branded items. 

I finally broke down and ordered from PennMac today.  Some All Trumps unbleached/unbrominated flour, some Caputo 00, some Grande cheese, and some Ezzo pepperoni.  I couldn't bring myself to order 6-in-1's because our usage is just one pizza a week, and a #10 can would end up going bad long before we got through them.  I'm hoping when we get to the east coast with the RV this year we'll be able to find them in smaller cans and bring them back.

One of these days I need to get over to Jimmy's, although it's about an hour each way for me.

Michelle

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
Peter,

I have used Tomato Magic in the past and had no idea it was a distant cousin to Escalon.

You would not guess it, but Jimmy's has as good a selection of REASONABLY priced Italian wines as any other place in Dallas. Even their $10 Italian/Sicilian wines are good.

My go-to place for Polly-O Whole Milk Mozzarella is still Central Market either in Dallas or Plano.  That's also where I can trust them to carry KA Bread Flour.

Much like smoked turkey, which tastes like ham to me, I have tried smoked mozzarella and just don't like the taste. It's too strong and I've had the "good" stuff too from Pastosa's in Brooklyn http://www.pastosa.com/brooklyn.html, whose ravioli I grew up on.

I seldom use pepperoni on my pizzas (I'm a non-gloppy toppings guy) but when I do, I like Wilson's pre-sliced also available in the hot dog/sliced cold cuts/smoked salmon refrigerator case at the Central Market in Plano.

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
I called Dawn Foods today asked if they had 50# bags of KASL and also if they did cash/carry. The lady I spoke with said that they do have it in stock though they do not promote cash/carry orders they still do. I asked her how much it would be for a bag and she quoted me $24.53 for  #50. After reading this thread days before calling, I knew that it was still a possibility for the $75 minimum order to set up an account. I took the silent route with the lady on the phone and gave her all of the information she asked. Before I got off of the phone with her I rechecked the location first and then the price. She said $24.53 to me again and I headed that way.

I am really familiar with that area of N.Dallas/ Garland so I got there within 30 minutes or so. Walked through will call and spoke to the lady at the front desk about the order I placed. I immediately told her the price I was quoted $24.53 and we chatted about random subjects while she pulled the order.  She asked if I have an account with them and I told her no, I just called in about an hour ago. She said that there is a $75 minimum purchase and time was winding down before the will call section closed. They close at 3 pm. The Lady told me "If she said it's ok , it's ok". I thanked her and paperwork for the order started. She called the order to the back to be pulled and then she got a call from someone in the office and I heard them say "it's only for 24 dollars", the lady laughed and told her who took the order. She also told me the girl who took my order liked my accent >:D

The application followed and I handed her my card and the account and order was done. Receipt handed and I was told to go to door 8 at the docks. Picked up the flour and I am ready to explore this flour I hear so much about.

So what I have learned is that they do still cash/carry, there IS a $75 minimum order to start and account, and also I got lucky. I really would like a product sheet of the company to see what else they carry.
LaValle 4 Bean

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:25 PM »
J. Michael,

You did indeed get lucky. Now that you have an account with Dawn-Garland, will you have to abide by the $75 minimum purchase requirement the next time you want to place an order? When I opened my account when I last dealt with Dawn, in 2005, there was no minimum purchase requirement. FYI, I looked at my invoice and I paid just under $13 for a 50-lb. bag of KASL. A few years ago, flour prices skyrocketed and while prices ultimately came down, they never did get back to the low prices that once prevailed. 

Now you will have to figure out how to store the flour so that the weevil eggs don't start hatching and set up housekeeping in your pantry once summer arrives in the Dallas area. They love flour but they are also fond of cereals, rice, pasta and other similar foodstuffs.

When I bought my flour, I asked for a catalog of the items carried by Dawn and they mailed me a copy.

Peter