Author Topic: Rusty Sicilian Pizza Pan  (Read 903 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Rusty Sicilian Pizza Pan
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
I've had this Sicilian pizza pan that is made of cold rolled steel for about 5 months and I have to throw it out because of rust.  I made one last night and I also had to throw out most of the pie too :(

Has anyone ever used a non stick Black Buster Sicilian pizza pan? I am considering buying one but not sure if the non stick coating would be safe at my baking temperature.  I have a new double wall oven and usually bake my Sicilian at 450 degrees convection with a preheated stone underneath to promote even browning on the bottom of the crust.  Has anyone used this non stick pan?  Any advice for me?

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Rusty Sicilian Pizza Pan
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
Mary Ann;
If it isn't too late, pull that rusty pan out of the trash, you can salvage it without any problem. Thoroughly scrub all rust out of the pan, then coat the inside (and outside) of the pan with salad oil and place into a 400F oven for about 30-minutes, be prepared for some smoke. Remove and allow to cool to the touch, then repeat. Your pan has now been seasoned. DO NOT soak the pan in water...ever. To wash, simply rinse in warm soapy water, rinse, wipe dry and place into the oven while it is still warm from baking your pizza(s) to thoroughly dry. Properly cared for, a seasoned pan will last for a very long time.
As for the dark colored pans, they are fine at temperatures all the way up to about 600F with dough in the pan, keep in mind that the pan will never reach that temperature as your pizza inside of the pan will hold the temperature down. Your baked pizza will only reach temperatures in the 200 to 210F range.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
Great!  It would have been nice if those instructions came from the retailer I bought it from.  I still have the pan and I will season it.  Is canola or olive oil ok to use for the seasoning process?
Mary Ann

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »
Mary Ann;
Canola oil should work just fine...why waste perfectly good olive oil? LOL
As you continue to bake in your seasoned pan/pans they will continue to darken to an almost black color. Cherish those pans when they get to that color since that's when they will bake the best.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
Thanks, Tom! It came out nice.  I will probably make Sicilian next week.  Can't wait :pizza: :chef:
Mary Ann

pizzapan