Author Topic: Need a new IR Thermometer  (Read 2670 times)

Offline redox

Need a new IR Thermometer
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
I dropped and broke my IR Thermometer but I was looking for a higher range model anyway. Anyone got a recommendation for a good IR model that will measure at least 1000F ? I promise to try not to break the next one.  :)

Offline pnicefor

Re: Need a new IR Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »
Try www.bafxpro.com.   I purchased two ir units for 22.95 each.    Goes from -58 - +1022f.   Has an led light so you can see at night also. 
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
I just bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C38E8BY/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Not sure about it yet. They say they go over 1000 but there are only 3 digits. This will be my third try with an IR gun.

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
Seems like the same.   
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
Seems like the same.

Ya I wonder if different companies just buy the same chinese unit.

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »
Not sure about it yet. They say they go over 1000 but there are only 3 digits. This will be my third try with an IR gun.

Jeff, may I ask what happened to the first two?

Since all IR guns are made in China, I usually recommend purchasing them from China

http://dx.com/p/gm700-1-5-lcd-non-contact-infrared-thermometer-yellow-black-1-x-9v-104614

$28 and goes to 1292'F

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »
Scott, the first one I bought said it went over 1000F but I only used it in my home oven. I bought it probably 2 years ago or so. So now just getting my blackstone, I had a reason to test it at temps higher than 600. Well, I can't get it to go over 700. So I still have that. Second one had issues over 1000F displaying incorrectly so I returned it back to amazon for the one I have now. Hopefully it works well.

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »

Since all IR guns are made in China, I usually recommend purchasing them from China

$28 and goes to 1292'F

Good price on that but I'd rather go with the one from Amazon just because it's probably much easier to return a defective product. I hate dealing with companies that make you jump through hoops to return a product that's obviously defective. That's why I waited until the Blackstone oven thread revealed that their customer service is pretty good before ordering one.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
I have this one. Goes to 1400f.

http://www.sears.com/extech-1400-degree-non-contact-laser-directed-infrared/p-03481998000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=03481998000P&kispla=03481998000P
That's a very nice IR gun but I can't imagine any need for me to measure above 1000F. Of course, to be fair, I once said that I'd never need an upper limit above 700F. So there's that.

13:1 targeting.

Made by the company that makes FLIR systems.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
That's a very nice IR gun but I can't imagine any need for me to measure above 1000F. Of course, to be fair, I once said that I'd never need an upper limit above 700F. So there's that.

It is solidly built and has a craftsman warranty. Worth it for that alone. Pay attention to the targeting ratio on the cheap chinese models. Also, this one let's you vary the emissivity which can be helpful measuring temps of various metals, etc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:06:42 PM by slybarman »

Offline redox

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

It is solidly built and has a craftsman warranty. Worth it for that alone. Pay attention to the targeting ratio on the cheap chinese models.
The only time I ever had to replace a Craftsman tool, it was my fault, and they still replaced it for free.
Then there was the time Sears replaced my carpeting and the only way the installers could have been bigger clowns would be to have come in wearing big red noses and riding unicycles. It was so bad that Sears didn't charge me for the new carpet and hired a carpenter to fix the damage. I've not been a Sears customer since.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »
I have this one. Goes to 1400f.

http://www.sears.com/extech-1400-degree-non-contact-laser-directed-infrared/p-03481998000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=03481998000P&kispla=03481998000P

13:1 targeting.

Made by the company that makes FLIR systems.

How does that unit display numbers over 1000F? It looks like there are only 3 digits left of the decimal.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
How does that unit display numbers over 1000F? It looks like there are only 3 digits left of the decimal.

LOL - I forget. It probably drops off the tenths. I will make note of it tonight when I fire up the BS.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

LOL - I forget. It probably drops off the tenths. I will make note of it tonight when I fire up the BS.

Thanks, one I had was mumbo jumbo over 1000F, so it only worked on Celsius at those temps. Celsius means almost nothing to me haha.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
Just checked it. It displays all the digits. There is a display line for a "1" in front of the other three digits before the decimal.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »
thanks

Offline scott123

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:55:03 AM »
Good price on that but I'd rather go with the one from Amazon just because it's probably much easier to return a defective product. I hate dealing with companies that make you jump through hoops to return a product that's obviously defective.

Unless people aren't reporting defective thermometers, I think the failure rate is less than 1 in 200.  This is one of the few things made in China that seems to work almost all the time.

By the time you start shopping on Amazon, for the same peak temp, the price pretty much doubles.  If you buy it from Hong Kong, the odds are very much in your favor that you'll get a working unit, and, even if you did get a dud, if you ordered again, the odds that you'd get a second bad thermometer in a row would be astronomically low. In other words, the first one you order will likely work, and, if it doesn't, if you have to order another one, you'll still only spend as money as one thermometer on Amazon.

And, if you're doing NP on a Blackstone, you'll want a thermometer that goes above 1000.

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »
Unless people aren't reporting defective thermometers, I think the failure rate is less than 1 in 200.  This is one of the few things made in China that seems to work almost all the time.

By the time you start shopping on Amazon, for the same peak temp, the price pretty much doubles.  If you buy it from Hong Kong, the odds are very much in your favor that you'll get a working unit, and, even if you did get a dud, if you ordered again, the odds that you'd get a second bad thermometer in a row would be astronomically low. In other words, the first one you order will likely work, and, if it doesn't, if you have to order another one, you'll still only spend as money as one thermometer on Amazon.

And, if you're doing NP on a Blackstone, you'll want a thermometer that goes above 1000.
I've no plans at this time to do NP but I realize that might change in the future. What I really want to work on is NY pizza, even if I have to order the WM mozz online. When the temps are 90-95 here I'm not going to stress the a/c by heating up baking stones for an hour. The BS seems a more energy efficient solution and keeps the kitchen end of the house much cooler. I was gonna order one from Amazon this A.M. but I'll give HK a try just because it's a lot easier to get NP ingredients around here than NY pizza ingredients. I've got a loaner IR gun to use until the HK one arrives so shipping time is no big deal. Btw, do you have any mail order sites you'd recommend for WMM? You know, like Vern's Cheese or somesuch. Seriously, the only local place that carries WMM, sells it for $9.99/lb.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
The only time I ever had to replace a Craftsman tool, it was my fault, and they still replaced it for free.

That's the Craftsman warranty you get with hand tools and the like - not IR thermometers.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan