Author Topic: My broiler attempts  (Read 888 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
My broiler attempts
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
This is my first time using the broiler.  Onwards......

12hr poolish (made three 14in balls)
61% hydration

Attempt 1 (24hr cold rise)

Preheated stone at 550 with convection for 20 minutes on 2nd rack.
Move stone up to top shelf and switched on broiler.  Let it run 4 cycles. 

Launched pizza and opened door at 1:45 to keep flame on.  Pulled at 3 minutes.
Got some char from 2 big bubbles (rats).  Nevertheless this pizza was very good!  The crust was very tender inside and had a nice light crisp on the outside.  The bottom was a little light most likely because of the short preheat.  My next attempt I will go for an hour preheat.

Nate

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:28:22 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: My broiler attempts
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
That looks good. You got some good top color there from a 3 minute bake!

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
That looks good. You got some good top color there from a 3 minute bake!

Thanks Jeff.  Gonna have to play around with flours too.  This was 100% bouncer.

Nate

Offline Canyon

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »
Really like the broiler method for NY style. I've achieved great color balance by placing the stone on the very lowest oven rack to maximize bottom coloring. I bake for 4-5 minutes on the stone, then move the pie to the top rack and broil directly on the rack (without the stone) until the top looks like yours. Usually I switch the broiler on 1 minute before moving the pie to the top rack. I agree about the longer pre-heat, however, the stone heats up much faster near the floor of the oven as I'm sure you know. Here is a pic of a pie I made using the broiler method and left over Tartine dough. Good luck!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:13:46 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what yours objective is here - are you trying use the broiler to get the stone really hot?  I think it would be useful for you to get an IR thermometer and see what stone temps you can achieve in various areas of your oven.  In most (all?) home ovens, stone will get hottest on the bottom rack, which is why many pizza folks here put their stones there.  From the photos, it looks like the top cooked too fast relative to the bottom.  For a more even bake, you may consider cooking on the bottom rack and then finishing with the broiler, or moving to the top at the end... Again, a very common strategy on these forums. :chef:

Offline pythonic

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:13:41 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what yours objective is here - are you trying use the broiler to get the stone really hot?  I think it would be useful for you to get an IR thermometer and see what stone temps you can achieve in various areas of your oven.  In most (all?) home ovens, stone will get hottest on the bottom rack, which is why many pizza folks here put their stones there.  From the photos, it looks like the top cooked too fast relative to the bottom.  For a more even bake, you may consider cooking on the bottom rack and then finishing with the broiler, or moving to the top at the end... Again, a very common strategy on these forums. :chef:

Yea I'm still playing around with it.  I guess I was trying to superheat the stone to go for short bake times.  I initially preheated stone on bottom of oven and then moved it to the top rack.  Next time I will bake for 4 minutes and finish it off under broiler.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
Attempt 2
72hr cold ferment

Lesson learned.  Do not reball hi gluten dough.  Very hard to open.  Dough was also overstretched a bit too much.

Again not very pretty but this dough was fantastic.  Baked 4 minutes on stone (bottom rack) and 1:15 under broiler.  It was definitely better than the 3 min broiler bake.  No bottom crust pic but it was money.

P.S.  Yes toppings are supposed to look like that.  I have picky eaters over here.

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
Attempt 3

3:30 stone 2:00 broiler.  Best of the 3.

Last pic is my son's pie.

Nate

pizzapan