Author Topic: Pizza Express  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Pizza Express
« on: March 09, 2004, 09:26:02 AM »
I just found a countertop pizza oven that looks like the ultimate pizza making oven!

It's 12" in diameter, has an integrated pizza stone, and heats to over 878 degrees F. (470 degrees C.)

The only problem is that it's made in Italy and I don't think it's available here in the United States.  :'(

http://www.g3ferrari.com/index.asp?p=/modello.asp|famiglia=24$categoria=13$modello=36

http://www.abbeycappuccino.co.uk/pizza/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:15:01 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Pizza Express
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 01:14:59 PM »
Now that is an interesting product but note the 230volt.

You would have to plug it into your clothes dryer socket.

:o

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:49:49 PM »
My church was looking at something like that, but same problem with the plug.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 08:00:55 AM »
I just contacted G3 Ferrari (in Italy) and they agreed to sell me a Pizza Express directly!  ;D Cost is 186,00 ($227.63) including shipping and customs costs. They also said that they can sell me a 120 VAC unit equipped with a UL plug!!  ;D

Anyone else interested??
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 08:01:48 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 09:40:27 AM »
Very interesting product but we are in the middle of a major remodel.
Did you speak to them about selling them on your site?
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 11:21:15 AM »
Yes, I'm working on that! Hopefully they'll be interested in selling the ovens here in the USA. Perhaps selling ovens will help offset the cost of running the site!  ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 06:30:21 PM »
Well, it appears that someone else produces a similar pizza oven that's available in the USA.

It's the "Pizza Bella" stone surface pizza oven manufactured by Deni Keystone Manufacturing. It looks almost identical to the Pizza Express, has two heating elements (top and bottom) like the Pizza Express, and consumes the same amount of power (1200 watts) as the Pizza Express. And, at cooking.com, it's only $69.95.

http://www.deni.com/2100.html

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=197994
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 06:46:46 PM by Steve »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 07:52:30 PM »
Actually, QVC has it for $59.95.  ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 09:23:59 AM »
I cant believe none of us has ran across this item before.  Is it a new product on the market?
 :o
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 12:17:33 PM »
I did a Google newsgroup search for "Pizza Bella" and found an entry dating back to 1996:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=53clrr%246v2%40news.interlog.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

So, it appears that it's been around for a long time.  ???

Maybe it wasn't marketed well.

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 06:52:03 PM »
Yes, I'm working on that! Hopefully they'll be interested in selling the ovens here in the USA. Perhaps selling ovens will help offset the cost of running the site!  ;D

Steve, maybe we could endorse some other products on your site, such as escalon's 6 in 1 Brand Tomatoes. Everyone has so far stated that they are the best tomatoes...  Maybe Escalon would be willing to cover a bit of the expenses?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 07:20:59 PM »
Just got my Pizza Bella in the mail today!  :)

Initial temperature reading (with my 600F thermometer)...

Drum roll...

Somewhere around 700-800F!!

(the needle wrapped all the way back around to 100F, so I couldn't get an exact reading)

Tomorrow I'll have my infrared 1000F thermometer. Can't wait!!

I made up a quick batch of NY style pizza dough... another 30 minutes and it'll be cooking in the Pizza Bella. I'll post pictures and comments later.  ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 09:06:03 AM »
Pizza cooking during the summer can really heat up a kitchen; this may be an excellent resolution.

8)
Nice find Steve

Randy

Joe Karen

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 09:59:48 AM »
Jeff Steingarten writes about the Pizza Express in his book "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" (2002) pg 374.  he gives it high marks.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 10:06:21 AM »
Unfortunately, the Pizza Bella (aka Pizza Express) gets too hot.  :(

I end up burning the first two pizzas because the stone is superheated. The third pizza usually turns out good, but I'd rather use my oven now.  :-\

Offline jwkaren

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 10:18:46 AM »
I wonder if there is a difference between the Italian made unit and a Chinese knock-off?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 10:22:50 AM »
Well, there's not much to the Pizza Bella. It's essentially a clam-shell design. The bottom half contains an electric heating element mounted under the integrated pizza stone. The top half is a domed lid with another heating element mounted inside. And then there's a thermostat. That's about it. It looks virtually identical to the Pizza Express and, quite frankly, I don't see how they'd be different. Maybe I'm running my unit too hot, but I've found that I usually end up with burned pizzas in the Pizza Bella. Then again, I'm using fresh dough. I believe that the marketing material for the Pizza Bella (and the Express) say that it's great for heating frozen pizza. Never tried that.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 10:24:51 AM »
Jeff Steingarten writes about the Pizza Express in his book "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" (2002) pg 374.  he gives it high marks.

Yes, that's where I got the idea to purchase a Pizza Express (or Pizza Bella). I love Steingarten's writing style, I have both of his books.  :)

Offline jack1747

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 06:22:30 PM »
I believe that the marketing material for the Pizza Bella (and the Express) say that it's great for heating frozen pizza.
Da Boss and I do a number of forzen pizza's at the shore.  What ta sell the one u got? :)

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 06:07:37 PM »
Unfortunately, the Pizza Bella (aka Pizza Express) gets too hot.  :(

I end up burning the first two pizzas because the stone is superheated. The third pizza usually turns out good, but I'd rather use my oven now.  :-\

Sorry to hear that Steve....surely sounded like it could turn out good pizzas  ???

Maybe the overhead clearance (dome) is too small, concentrating the heat too much in the lower half?

another appliance to add to the attic collection or bottom kitchen cabinet  :(

Pierre